904 to 727 swap

-

73DrtSptr

Reaction score
I want to swap my 904 for a 727 in my 340 73 Dart Sport. Is the main body of the trans the same? In other words will my cross member line up? Will the longer angle of the bell housing fit inside my tunnel? Is the kick down linkage the same, Not too worried about the shifter linkage since I already have a B&M cable shifter. I know I will need to have the correct tailshaft, Yoke, flex plate and ujoint. Just want ot make sure I'm not biting off more than I can chew. Any advice will be appreciated.

Don't know about the kickdown linkage, but a 727 will fit as it came with 340's from the factory. Mount & crossmember are in the same location. Not sure if the cooler lines will be the proper length or can be "adjusted". But fitings are the same.

You said "tailshaft". I'm guessing you meant "driveshaft", which will need to be shorter with the appropriate slip spline yoke.

Yes,I knew the driveshaft will have to be shortened. But, I thought there are two different tailshaft lengths on the 727 trans ( a long one and a short one)? The cross member and kickdown linkage was really my biggest questions though.
Thanks for the info.

Yes,I knew the driveshaft will have to be shortened. But, I thought there are two different tailshaft lengths on the 727 trans ( a long one and a short one)? The cross member and kickdown linkage was really my biggest questions though.
Thanks for the info.

there is only one car/truck tailshaft, the other one is for RV and will not fit a car or truck driveshaft

Crossmember / mounts in same place

Don't know about kickdown, I'd expect it's different (different pivot mount)

One caveat is-----if you have a console shifter, make sure the tail housing on the 727 has the bottom mount holes for the bottom support bracket on the shifter linkage (bellcrank) if they still used that

These............don't know if they still used em............

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a238/DUSTRBD/CAR PARTS/P1030995.jpg

hmmm... the hp loss has got me thinking. Just running a little over stock engine so I may be just as well off to beef up the 904? I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Thanks for all the info, you guys are a wealth of information.

in stock forum 904 is said to be not as strong as 727

well duh its not :D

drop in a known rebuilt 904 that will save HP and last a long time, or drop in a unknown 727, lose 25hp, and wait for it wear out, if it isn't already.

hmmm... the hp loss has got me thinking. Just running a little over stock engine so I may be just as well off to beef up the 904? I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Thanks for all the info, you guys are a wealth of information.

they run 904 into the 8's when fully built. you not going to need a lot to have it last a long time on a stockish motor, heck the MVB 904 behind my slant is rebuilt with all stock guts and frictions/bands and works great, low 14's and has 13's in it...

I think the 727 is also heavier then a 904 ?
I like the durability of the 727 .
The weight and power savings of a 904 are a plus .

-
Back