A-904 Throttle Pressure Adjustment

-
You know my first thing I was thinking was to tell you that disconnect everything and make sure the lever on the transmission is working properly before you start working your way up the linkage but there are some other obvious things going on that will need to be addressed also

Way late, but like ALL my questions have been answered reading through these old posts...
72 duster, was originally a 318 car and I put a 360 in it still a stock 360 from 1974 and it hooked up in every gear until it goes to shift into third under hard acceleration it's almost like it kicks into neutral unless you leave off the pedal and then it's there in third gear even when you stand on the four barrel...
So I plan to rebuild a separate 904 I have sitting here most likely with the trans go/trans star kit and I feel confident I can do this well...
I would just like to ask, with no kickdown lever on to the carburetor but still set up to the transmission and pulled up all the way as if it was at idle speed would it shift the same way and slip going into third?

Way late, but like ALL my questions have been answered reading through these old posts...
72 duster, was originally a 318 car and I put a 360 in it still a stock 360 from 1974 and it hooked up in every gear until it goes to shift into third under hard acceleration it's almost like it kicks into neutral unless you leave off the pedal and then it's there in third gear even when you stand on the four barrel...
So I plan to rebuild a separate 904 I have sitting here most likely with the trans go/trans star kit and I feel confident I can do this well...
I would just like to ask, with no kickdown lever on to the carburetor but still set up to the transmission and pulled up all the way as if it was at idle speed would it shift the same way and slip going into third?

You want to set your kickdown at wide open throttle, not idle. You also may need the Mopar throttle adapter to get proper throttle and K/D geometry.

You want to set your kickdown at wide open throttle, not idle. You also may need the Mopar throttle adapter to get proper throttle and K/D geometry.
No I gotcha on that, but let's say with no linkage connected and the kickdown pulled all the way forward as if you were not on the throttle at all, if you drive it like that would that make it slip going into third gear?
I guess what I'm asking is does that kick down lever being pushed back hold some kind of extra pressure for when it goes into third at a high RPM out of second?

No I gotcha on that, but let's say with no linkage connected and the kickdown pulled all the way forward as if you were not on the throttle at all, if you drive it like that would that make it slip going into third gear?
I guess what I'm asking is does that kick down lever being pushed back hold some kind of extra pressure for when it goes into third at a high RPM out of second?
Possibly. I would think the 2-3 shift should be the same as the 1-2 shift, albeit really early, in that instance. If it shifts from 1st to 2nd properly, with kickdown linkage adjusted correctly, but not 2nd to 3rd, I’d say you’re looking inside the trans.

Short of a couple of knuckleheads and just a few snowflakes this site has been a gold mine of information and I am grateful to The chosen few of you who make it a point to pass on good information without being a jerk!
Until next time...

The governor doesn't know what gear it's in. It's just regulating pressure based on mph; how fast the output shaft is spinning, and allowing the weight of the valves to determine the pressure. So the 1-2 is going to be the same as the 2-3 if the governor has anything to say about it. (Except when it comes to governor Newsome).. No way I would mess around with kd linkage that wasn't correct; it's the only exterior thing a tf has to know when and how hard to shift. Other transmissions have a modulator valve; which helps. Idk what "pushed back" means..forward or rearward? Back to its starting position, or back to the back of the car? I believe a named or un-named individual may have mentioned a "Factory Service Manual"? There are about 521, 672 postings on the web that will tell us that it's fine to run without a kd and you can just shift it manually...which is why 90% of online advice is BS. Except on this site, of course, which is only running at an average of 30% BS...problem is; it's HARDCORE...

“There are about 521, 672 postings on the web that will tell us that it's fine to run without a kd and you can just shift it manually.”

… which is why it’s incorrect to call it “kickdown” linkage, which IS one of it’s functions, but the correct term is “hydraulic pressure” linkage.

CudaFactHackJob spot on! And thanks again!
On the service manual part, I have a service manual and I have a Haynes book but it does not seem like I'm getting the clarification or maybe it's the wording I'm a Hands-On learner and people with experience are usually the best teachers...
Of course we've all been to school probably, so we all know there's those couple teachers that should have probably been doing something else.. other than handing out the detention

Proper adjustment of the hydraulic kickdown val throttle pressure rod and linkage is necessary or you will receive detention until morale improves.

-
Back