A/C oil

-

Paul King

MrPJK
Reaction score
Were do u put the oil in the old style Compressor .

DSCF1907.JPG

I just replace my condenser on a modern car and it called for the oil to be added to the condenser. 1 oz . Not sure about the reciprocating type compressors

If you don't have one go to mymopar.com and get your year or close to it dodge or Plymouth Factory Service Manual there will be service procedures in it.

With the line off the compressor I fill them through there .

Go to MyMopar and download the 72 Plymouth chassis manual, go to page 24-40 and read, especially on page 24-46. Earlier manuals may have that as well

67 Manual is about 24-36, that is the 67 Dart/ Coronet manual

If I ever get the 74 Scamp "runnable" I'll be into this as well. I did a very quick pressure check just shot som R22 in there "for pressure". In less than an hour on a hot day, the pressure went from about 130 to ?80PSI or so so "it leaks." I've no idea anymore, where my leak detector or halide torch has gotten off to. I may have to invest in another. No idea where the leak is ---yet

Most new compressors come prefilled so I would assume that you would just fill the compressor through whatever hose comes off of it or goes into it..

As I understand that the oil's main purpose is to lubricate the compressor..

No idea where the leak is ---yet

It's the shaft seal.

not sure how to install it

To the OP: There is an 1/8" pipe plug on the passenger side, low on the case. You'll need to fab a dipstick, the spec is in the Factory Service Manual. Mineral oil if you have a source of R12, use Ester oil if it had R12 in the system once and now converted to R134a.

For anyone starting dry, I suggest looking at Hella's PAO 68 oil. It is compatible with all refrigerants (R-12, R-134A, not sure about R-1234yc), doesn't absorb moisture (problem with PAG), and is more efficient. I understand that is what Duracool sells as their "Oil Chill".

-
Back