A Real Hero.

-
Excellent. When MLB extended netting a few years ago, there was a lot of complaining. They should’ve used this story to support their decision.

HOLY COW! I remember this! Good post Rusty!
Jim Rice did what anyone would do I think but had the cool and calm to do it quickest like a reaction to an action. I think most people there were just simply stunned and shocked at what happened leaving them confused and wondering where to ram the kid IF they even realized how bad it was.

I love the comment he made.
“If it was your kid, what would you do?”

I agree, my kid or not, children are innocent and helpless. IMO, I don’t really care who it is, if you have the calm mind and can do something to help someone, do it. He probably did save his life with the quick reaction.

On the netting…..
I’m sure it was mentioned in talks about extending the netting behind closed doors. That kid could have been a major travesty because he was a kid. For sure, there used to be a lot of people hit by foul balls.

That's the America I remember. People helping other people regardless of the color of their skin, financial standing, or ideological beliefs. Mr. Rice didn't ask any of that stuff, he just rolled up his sleeves and jumped in to help that little boy. He deserves any accolades he got for doing that.

-
Back