ABS Headliner

-

DusterDaddy

sledgehammer mechanic
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So here's a question. Does this abs headliner tuck under the front and back window gasket like the cardboard originals did? Seams like this one wants to butt up agains the edge of the back gasket and lay over the front gasket.
If you have used one, please fill me in on how you installed it. Thanks
IMG_6739.JPG

I have had a hard time with mine. Seems like it's too long front to back.

The one I have is tucked into the rear gasket but overlays the front gasket. I also trimmed a couple spots of the headliner in that back so it would fit better in the back.

Did you buy one that was already covered in fabric? I had to completely reglue the one that I have after the first round of 100* weather, the fabric sagged and almost completely separated. I re-glued it with 3m adhesive and haven't had issues since. I like the ABS headliner, but if I were to buy another I would buy a plain one so I could fit and trim it more easily and then add the fabric myself, since I had to glue it again anyway.

Last edited:
I bet its too "long" so when its tucked (butted) it bows slightly upward. Just a guess though.

I bet its too "long" so when its tucked (butted) it bows slightly upward. Just a guess though.

That was probably the idea, but mine still needed some modifications. It can't get any tighter to the roof than where it's screwed in with the dome light, and mine was still too long to tuck under the windshield gasket. You can force a little more bend into it as you add all the trim and stuff, but it only goes so far. Helps to install it when it's warm too. Better for the headliner anyway, not so much better for whoever has to install it (it gets HOT in there!).

They're pretty close but between assembly tolerances and aftermarket parts I'm sure most of them could use some adjustments. Probably was true of the cardboard ones too, they're just easier to modify.

I got my abs headliner from Rock Auto. It is covered with fabric not vinyl and the adhesive looks like it's going to keep it on there even when it gets hot.
My front windshield gasket is new and the rear glass has the original gasket. It is not as flexible as the new one.
I'm not inclined to peal back the fabric to trim the plastic. I think I'll do what I can to soften the back gasket and make sure the headliner can slide in on top of it as much as possible. If it still won't go in in the front I'll find a trim channel and let it cover the front gasket. You have the rear view mirror and the sun visors providing decent anchoring up front anyway...

I'm sure it's the same one. Mine looked great too until it was in the car on a 100* day and the glue failed. Maybe they started using better glue since then.

I'm sure it's the same one. Mine looked great too until it was in the car on a 100* day and the glue failed. Maybe they started using better glue since then.
not to butt in or change the post, but has anyone ever put a new headliner in a volare wagon ? or know who might make one? I`m still thinking about buying one to play with, as a best gas mileage- parts getter type thing that looks stock - but cool. will rattle slant6 dan`s cage for info if I get it. -----------anyone ?

F bodies use paperboard headliners, like soft pegboard.
I dont think anyone makes new ones so you either have to find a used one and deal with shipping it or take it to an upholstery shop.

Back to the original thread...I installed one in my Duster a few years ago, I bought it uncovered and test fit it by installing the dome light, shoulder seat belts, sun visors and rear view mirror trim and then had to trim the front and back edge to fit the window opening. The headliner will go under the thick windshield/ back glass seal once installed

Great info guys... looks like I'll be buying an uncovered one and making sure it fits before having it covered.

Thanks,

Riddler

-
Back