Accel 59301 Distributor

-

skep419

5.9 Magnum 4 speed afficionado
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the adjustment is to reduce total timing on this distributor?
I would like to be at 16-18 initial 31-32 total

I know MSD distributors have a bushing. I was told the accel unit uses an allen screw adj. Is this true? anyone run this unit?

Don't know for sure but since it's modeled after the stock Mopar dist. I'd bet the allen adjustment is just the one for the vacuum advance and probably has nothing to do with centrifugal advance. I could be wrong though. You probably need to disassemble it to see what style of centrifugal advance mechanism it uses. You'll have to take it apart anyway to make any adjustment if it is adjustable.

Were you able to figure out your Accel distributor? My Mopar unit is getting sloppy and wanted to get a replacement. How do you like it? Does it plug directly into the Mopar control box without modifications?

Were you able to figure out your Accel distributor? My Mopar unit is getting sloppy and wanted to get a replacement. How do you like it? Does it plug directly into the Mopar control box without modifications?

Love this unit. Uses the same mopar connector. I bought the adj kit and it allows you to adj the amount of mechanical adv and comes with a curve kit (springs).

Thanks, I think I will give it a try. I want an MSD dist, box and wire setup but not ready to spend the $5-600 to do it they way I want.

The Accel distributors have an adjustable vaccum canister on the side to limit the amount of advance with a allen wrench. It should be a 3/32 wrench.

That 31-32 total is achieved in this manor. Total advance with the vaccum hose hooked up should be no more than 52*'s.

Test at track for best results.

-
Back