After market A/C for our /6?

-

HemiPar

Reaction score
Hey all. I have a 71 Swinger with factory a/c, that does not work. So I am looking for options to put a/c back in the car. 1) have the factory compressor rebuilt, 2) pull all the factory stuff out and just go after market, 3) use a mix of factory and after market to get it going again.

What would you do? Thanks.

I'd be curious about a mount bracket for a Sanden compressor for a slant. I don't know if one is available or not. I bet Dan will know.

I did a search and found this place. http://www.ackits.com/ According to Dan over on slant6.org, they will have the bracket you're looking for. You may have to call cause Dan says they don't have everything on their site.

Use the factory parts on the inside of the car. Change the compressor mount and use a "Sanden" style compressor, and a "parrallel flow condenser. I sell a compressor mount and drive, for the "Sanden" compressor that allows use of stock or, aftermarket manifolds and headers. It uses the OEM factory drive pulley on the crank. This solves many fitment problems of the "other" aftermarket mounts, on "A" and "F" bodies. It comes complete with hardware and belt.

Thanks for the info guys. I was worried that I would have to pull all the under dash stuff. Are there any good deals on a Sanden compressor? Can I get one from scrap yard? Charrlie S, I will get with you in a few weeks with some more questions. Can you pm me some prices?
My ride does have an Offy 4bbl intake, unknown 6 to 1 header, and will have a offy valve cover in a few weeks, if that matters. Again, thanks guys.

Charlie S sent me pics of his compressor mount and it looks great.
I'm impressed with his design. It has the adjustment pulley built in.

Doing a searh for a Sanden compressor. Damn there are a lot of different model numbers. Any idea which 1 I should look for?

Doing a searh for a Sanden compressor. Damn there are a lot of different model numbers. Any idea which 1 I should look for?
Hot rodders like one they term "Sanden Shorty" SD7H. Search the H.A.M.B. site http://www.jalopyjournal.com. Other Sanden models may work, but the body is longer. I have several Sandens, but haven't worked out mounting yet. I have a Mopar bracket for my 273 that looks like it will get me mostly there. Haven't thought about my 225 slant. Kind of hoping others will do the legwork. Syed fabricated his own slant bracket for his convertible in Malaysia. Look up his recent post.

You can use either the Sanden "SD7H15" which is a 7 cylinder 150cc compresor.
Or the Sanden "SD5H14" which is a 5 cylinder 140cc compressor. Both fit the same mounting brackets. The SD5H14 has been used for many years, I use mostly this compressor. The SD7H15 has also been around along time, and is becoming more popular in larger type cars. They are both very reliable. They are available with different style clutch/pulley. For our cars, you need a double "V" belt pulley. For those with show type cars, they are available in Chrome.

I bought Charrlie's mount last year. It fits exactly like it is supposed to and is a very complete kit. Worth every penny.

Richard, I don't mind at all, if you could post the pics. In fact I would really appriciate it if you would. I am not real computer literate, and am haveing trouble doing it,

Please add the pics!

Charrlie's bracket:

Attachments

• 01_Charrlies_Kit.JPG
    242.2 KB · Views: 439
  • 01_Bracket_Back.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 461
Yeah. It's badass. I'm savin to get me one. Well worth the $$$

excuse the crappy cell phone pics...

Attachments

• test6 015.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 453
  • 01_Compressor.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 464
will "Charrlies" kit fit with Hooker Headers? and how much does it cost? will it fit with P/S?

Do you have the rear brace installed? It goes from the rear of the mount to the upper motor mount bracket bolt. I can't see it in the pics.

It was missing from the box. You sent me one the next day, but I made my own before it got here.

Attachments

• 01_Brace.JPG
    194.7 KB · Views: 419
Charrlie_S' bracket kit is way better than the generic one you can get from all the various auto A/C supply places, and it's made by a gen-u-wine slant-6 freak.

will "Charrlies" kit fit with Hooker Headers? and how much does it cost? will it fit with P/S?

I did not have a set of Hooker headers to confirm fit, but I "think", yes. With headers the rear brace will most likely have to be modified, to clear a tube. There are just too many variables, to make a brace to fit every configuration. The mount will fit with stock intake, and exhaust manifolds. Offie 4bbl manifold, Clifford 4 bbl. Will fit with Clifford headers, and the Mopar Performance, 6-1 headers. I do not think it will fit with Hyperpak intake, or the Offie 2 one bbl intake. If any one would want to try it with these setups, that is fine by me. If it doesn't fit I will refund their money including shipping (this is only for combinations, I have not tried). It will fit with P/S, but does require a minor modification, to one of the P/S pump braces (has to be bent slightly, and one hole elongated). It will not fit with a smog pump setup. Prices is $180 plus USPS flat rate shipping, insured, in the USA. It does require a OEM A/C crank pulley. If you do not have one, I have used pulleys for an additional $20.00, it ships in the same box.

For trucks or "Big" cars my kit is not necessary. The existing kits on the market will work and are easier to install (I don't know what after market intake/exhaust will fit). I made my kit for the "A" and "F" bodies, to cure the clearance problem with the fan/radiator, and while I was at it, made sure it would fit with aftermarket manifolds.

I did not have a set of Hooker headers to confirm fit, but I "think", yes. With headers the rear brace will most likely have to be modified, to clear a tube. There are just too many variables, to make a brace to fit every configuration. The mount will fit with stock intake, and exhaust manifolds. Offie 4bbl manifold, Clifford 4 bbl. Will fit with Clifford headers, and the Mopar Performance, 6-1 headers. I do not think it will fit with Hyperpak intake, or the Offie 2 one bbl intake. If any one would want to try it with these setups, that is fine by me. If it doesn't fit I will refund their money including shipping (this is only for combinations, I have not tried). It will fit with P/S, but does require a minor modification, to one of the P/S pump braces (has to be bent slightly, and one hole elongated). It will not fit with a smog pump setup. Prices is $180 plus USPS flat rate shipping, insured, in the USA. It does require a OEM A/C crank pulley. If you do not have one, I have used pulleys for an additional $20.00, it ships in the same box.

For trucks or "Big" cars my kit is not necessary. The existing kits on the market will work and are easier to install (I don't know what after market intake/exhaust will fit). I made my kit for the "A" and "F" bodies, to cure the clearance problem with the fan/radiator, and while I was at it, made sure it would fit with aftermarket manifolds.

ok well i may be your tester for the hooker/clifford... it probably wont be for a couple of months but we need this for my dad's dart...

thx

-
Back