Air gap and Rhoads lifters

-

Reaction score
My new car has a 360 380 hp create magnum engine. So far as I know it's got 2.94 gears which I find neuters it's potential. I want to add gears down the road.

Can't help thinking future mods lol
Is an Air Gap and Rhoads roller lifters a good idea to increase under 2000 rpm without effecting top end too much ??

Last edited:
I'm gonna call her from now on Elinor since that's my grandmothers name :)

Air gap wont help much under 2000 rpm. I thought those 380 crates had a super flat torque curve? I bet a set of gears is all you need to fry 'em.

Air gap wont help much under 2000 rpm. I thought those 380 crates had a super flat torque curve? I bet a set of gears is all you need to fry 'em.

I get it and know 3.91 will make it go crazy but still get why not make under 2000 rpm is making this power of this engine is a lazy.

I see why peeps love 400 hp plus lol

I'm already thinking of 500 plus hp lol

I'm drunk
So I'm lost on making sense lol

Last edited:
273;

The cam in that engine has a duration @.050 of 230 on the intake. The power band of the cam starts at 2000. (As a cam company will most likely list it as.) It will need a converter stalling @ around 2300/2400 rpm in order to take advantage of it all.

The Rhodes lifters can knock out a good bit of duration for sure! And the RPM intake will increase torque as well. IMO, excellent ideas for increase torque and a extended useable RPM range.

BUT! It will not really help below the stated rpm range you enquirer about. The cam is simply to big.

Your best bet is your idea of both modifications with a set of gears! If you start to miss the Hwy. speeds of the low numerical gear set, save for an overdrive trans. That will for surely make the most of everything you have going on there!

I hope there's no hang over! Rest well my friend.

a shorter duration cam is so critical for a street engine.
I HAD A 300 HP crate and i know with a hughes 544" /224cam, a.g. intake,made this engine really wake up,with 391 gears,it was a blast in a duster.

So my [email protected] cam is too big for the street in a 340 CID engine?

you could decent lo end with a gear and converter and i know guys running 4.10's on the street that don't seem to mind.
I never liked anything above 3.23 and 2400 stall for a regular driven street car.I remember my '71 'Cuda with stock 14 inch tires.That thing was 'buzzin 4000 rpm at 74 mph.

Change converter...

It's got a 2800 stall don't know the brand though.

It's totally drivable as it is but to get into the powerband I got to do 40 in first then give her gas and catch a glimpse of it true power.
I was kind of let down before I did that lol.
I know gears is the only solution for that and will be my 1st mod. Can always swap back to 2.94 on long trips.

But I was thinking air gap and Rhoads lifters would be a good over the winter project and a win win performance wise and seems most agree.

Thanks for the input guys :)

If you like the sewing machine sound of them rhoads lifter, there your friend.
Believe me i have been in this same kinda situations and consider Rhoads lifters.
Advance my cam and Suffered with my combo, couldn't take the sound. do a search on youtube and have a listen. Just remember, there louder in person.

If you like the sewing machine sound of them rhoads lifter, there your friend.
Believe me i have been in this same kinda situations and consider Rhoads lifters.
Advance my cam and Suffered with my combo, couldn't take the sound. do a search on youtube and have a listen. Just remember, there louder in person.

I must have the best set of Rhoads Lifters ever built. You can barely hear them in or out of the car. To me they are no different than the tinny sound of headers......

Interesting....

JW

I doubt they changed there design from back in 2001 when i was considering them. I guy at the track had a sets in, and it was sb mopar. didn't like it at all. Maybe they are made of a different material that doesn't resonate as much??????? have no clue, just know i didn't like the sound back then.
like i said above, if you can put up with the sound, there your friend.

I must have the best set of Rhoads Lifters ever built. You can barely hear them in or out of the car. To me they are no different than the tinny sound of headers......

Interesting....

JW
I find it interesting, your rhoads lifters don't sound like rattling solids.

I find it interesting, your rhoads lifters don't sound like rattling solids.

Me and you both. As of now I would use them again. First time at the Rodeo with them. They really tame things down at idle and gives me decent Vacuum so at the moment they do what their design was intended for. There does seem to be a long list of people who use them that say they are crazy loud lol....

JW

When to find a youtube video of a mopar.......there are NON. when on rhoads lifter sight and you have two choices, the standard or the V Max lifter that is adj like as if it was a solid, with a feeler gauge...........
.020-.030 valve lash........guarantee i wouldn't like them!!!

When to find a youtube video of a mopar.......there are NON. when on rhoads lifter sight and you have two choices, the standard or the V Max lifter that is adj like as if it was a solid, with a feeler gauge...........
.020-.030 valve lash........guarantee i wouldn't like them!!!

The set I have are from the mid 80's.

JW

-
Back