Air Gap intake fitment?

-

smartken22

U.S. Navy Senior Chief
Reaction score
I was mocking up my intake to my newly built 340 and noticed these openings in the heads. Is this normal to be exposed or am I missing something here? Thanks for the help.

Ken

Attachments

• IMG_0956.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_0957.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 258
Didn't we just answer this for somebody? This is the air gap between the cast in exhaust crossover that heats the carb on a stock motor. The actual cross over that is below this hole might even be blocked by your new manifold (why would you have a heat passage in an air gap mainfold???). In any event it's supposed to be that way!

yep, looking at the lower picture that you sent, in the yellow circle,you can see the rusted top of the crossover tube in the pic and it is blocked by the part of the manifold between the bolt holes. Cool gas to your motor!

Yes, the exposed hole is normal, as long as the smaller hole under that red(?) area isn't exposed. The smaller, hidden round hole is the exhaust/heat crossover and would result in an exhaust leak if exposed. I always cover that spot with this aluminum and red RTV.

OK thanks all for the replies. If it was covered already, then I apologize. I did a search and nothing came up so that is why i posted.

Sweet looking ride, and the glimpse of the motor too!!

Is this the sixth time this year or the seventh time this question has popped up this year?

That's what I was thinking .... And laughing about!

-
Back