Aluminum LA block??

-

superdart

Shade Tree Tinker Gnome.....
Reaction score
Just curious, but does anyone in the aftermarket make an LA or Magnum block out of aluminum? I couldn't find anything on the internet......:read2:

there used to be an article in Mopar Muscle or action about there being chrysler built aluminum blocks, cant remember if they are la or mag blocks tho...

I don't think there are any aftermarket aluminum small blocks. There are the replacement 340's, and the R3 Racing blocks, available with either 340 or 360 main journals. Neither are aluminum.

I might not be remembering this right.....but it seems at one time YEARS ago that PAW offered some. I know for a FACT that they had big and small chevys and ford blocks in aluminum and I am almost positive they had Mopars too.

Chrysler made a couple of them. Mancini Racing acquired them with a bunch of other "mule" engines. I saw them for sale in their garage sale section a couple years ago.

Not for the faint of wallet! P5249810, 11, 12, 13 from 2000 MP cat. Sprint car and drag.

Chrysler made a couple of them. Mancini Racing acquired them with a bunch of other "mule" engines. I saw them for sale in their garage sale section a couple years ago.

Where those all 318's though?

I believe they were 318 bore size but thick wall casting so you could bore to bigger size. They were a drag race/ sprint car block. A guy in town has a supercharged aluminum 318 in a Demon.

not entirely sure but i think i read something about ritter planning to make XR blocks in aluminum

Not for the faint of wallet! P5249810, 11, 12, 13 from 2000 MP cat. Sprint car and drag.

Thats the only one I know of. Was in some of the old MP books. Don't know if it is still avalible any more though. They made it sound more like a race block from what I remember.

Would be nice to have some Aluminum blocks available. A siamese bore block would be nice:tongue9:

Would be nice.....curiosity got the better of me reading about all these lightweight hemi blocks. Figured an all aluminum SB would be awesome in an A-body.

There is always the new aluminum 426 Gen III SB (540hp) but that is a fat chunk of change, and I have no interest in trying to convert my Dart to a late model hemi.

Them 3G Hemis should come with aluminum blocks from the factory. ChryCo needs to get with the times.

"A" Engine Aluminum Race Block

Designed and built for the serious Sprint Car and Drag racer, this Mopar Performance Parts "A" aluminum race block showcases the latest in technology. Knowing the racer's concern for weight and overall strength, this block was engineered using finite element analysis to optimize the design for weight savings of over 25 lbs. from the previous version. The following features set the Mopar block ahead of the competition:

· Six-bolt head design for superior gasket sealing and reliability at higher compression ratios (Note that a 4-bolt head can be installed)

· Full skirted "H" block design for the required strength and rigidity

· Pro Gram Engineering designed cross-bolted main caps exclusively for Mopar Performance Parts for added strength and weight savings

· Ductile iron dry cylinder liners

· High strength A1 studs, bolts, and attaching hardware

· "A" engine high camshaft location for longer strokes and reduced windage

· 50mm Roller bearing camshaft design for reduced friction (Requires P4876707 bearing set)

· 48° tappet angle for close to ideal valvetrain geometry

· Approximate weight - 95 lbs. To 100 lbs.

Blocks come in four standard heights 9.00", 9.10", 9.56", and 9.60" and a rough bore of 4.095". Various replacement sleeves are available to provide the builder with a range of bore capabilities to meet your requirements. All block packages include side washers, core plugs, pipe plugs, dowel pins and head stud attaching kits.

P5007271 9.600" Deck - Use with P5 Head - 4.09" unfinished bore
P5007533 9.00" Deck - use with P5 Head - 4.09" unfinished bore
P5249810 9.00" deck 4.09" unfinished bore
P5249811 9.10" deck 4.09" unfinished bore
P5249812 9.00" deck 4.00" unfinished bore
P5249813 9.56" deck 4.09" unfinished bore

P5007271 9.600" Deck - Use with P5 Head - 4.09" unfinished bore
P5007533 9.00" Deck - use with P5 Head - 4.09" unfinished bore

P4532865 Dry sleeve, ductile iron 9.10" deck (sold individually)
P4532866 Dry sleeve, ductile iron 9.00" deck (sold individually)
P5249984 Dry sleeve, ductile iron 9.56" deck (sold individually)

*Dry Sump design only - will not accept standard "A" - engine oil pan

©1995-2002 DaimierChrysler. All rights reserved.

The only aluminum small block engines I remember seeing for sale were designed for Sprint and Drag racing. There a bit removed from the stock block and require some retardedly expensive parts instead of making use of stock parts over again. While, I am sure theres a good reason for that, it does leave us out of the picture.

As far as the 3rd gen HEMI goes in that it should be an aluminum block out from the factory and installed in the car like other makers do, I'd love it, but expensive it probably is. To make things worse for the #3 of the big 3 is volume. It's more expensive when your not making them just to make'em cause you now your gonna sell them anyway.

Heads are expensive as well. This is why the old 1 gen HEMI engines were drop in favor of a cheaper, small and lighter Wedge head of the B/RB series engines.

Beyond the MP Sprint car blocks there were some prototype aluminum blocks based on production stuff.

We're talking real low numbers of stuff that sneeked out. I've seen pics of someone that bought one out of MI.

-
Back