Aluminum water pump question

-

dartkory

Reaction score
I have a 66 dart with the water pump that has the inlet on the driver side. I need a new pump and want a high flow aluminum one but I can't seem to find one. They all have the inlet on the passenger side. Do you guys know where I could find one with the inlet on the driver side? Thanks

Kory, as far as I know, no such animal exists.

^ I believe Rumbles correct. If you do find a hi volume pump with a drivers side inlet it'll still be made of cast iron. In over 32 yrs. of wrenching on Mopars I have yet to see an aluminum version of the early pass side inlet pump

That is correct..all the 69 and older water pumps are cast iron...

Do the aluminum pumps really work that much better than the cast? My car creeps up very slowly in hot weather stuck in traffic

thats not a water pump issue...

Correct. Not enough air moving at idle is probably the culprit. You can have a pump that pumps like a wild thing and it doesn't do any good at all if the water isn't being cooled off in the radiator.

Kory do you have a shroud on it? what size radiator and fan?

I have a 16" mechanical and a 16" electric pusher fan. Cooled fine when I had my 2 row northern radiator but now it creeps up with my 3 row champion radiator! I really don't want to drop another couple hundred on another radiator but I gotta think of something quick as to the weather is beginning to get warm here in Portland.

Oh and the champion shroud with the electric fan wouldn't fit between the radiator and pulley on my car so I bought one of those universal **** trans dapt shrouds that didn't do anything

Ok. If you don't have a good shroud it'll never cool good no matter what radiator you have. And a pusher fan is something you should only ever use as a last resort. They actually block some air flow. What you need is a good shroud. You can have one custom made probably less than a new radiator (that won't fix the issue) would cost, or just put the Northern radiator back in it that worked right. Seems I remember a couple months back you swapping out a good running carb for 2 or 3 that didn't run worth a crap. I don't mean to be a jerk but can't help but wondering why you keep changing things out that work right ending up with things that don't work right??? Have you ever heard the old saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it"?

The northern leaked and it had been my 3rd one in 4 years so I figured I'd try a different brand in hopes that it would last longer

The northern leaked and it had been my 3rd one in 4 years so I figured I'd try a different brand in hopes that it would last longer

Hum.. That's odd, I've had a Northern in my car for 3-4 yrs. without any trouble. Gonna have to start calling you bad luck Kory, LOL

-
Back