AlV 69 Dodge GTS project

-
ouch! I wonder what on earth caused that!
No clue. Those were new rockers and had less than 5K on em. I ordered new ones and push rods since the others were curved.
I timed two more pieces from the head and put a very strong magnet on the oil pan.

We’ll see where it goes after that. Of it happens again I’ll changed the springs.
AlV

Dammit, doing great work, sorry to see rocker failure. Always seems something with hydraulics, whether its lifters or rockers...
Like I said nice work, looks great!:thumbsup:
Thank you. This stuff happens lol
Pulled the rockers and will replace them and the rods.

B5EBEBFC-D1AD-4AEA-ACAB-4E1448A43F0A.jpeg

No clue. Those were new rockers and had less than 5K on em. I ordered new ones and push rods since the others were curved.
I timed two more pieces from the head and put a very strong magnet on the oil pan.

We’ll see where it goes after that. Of it happens again I’ll changed the springs.
AlV
What cam and springs does it have? Too much valve spring pressure can be a cause.

Well it’s slow going because other things but more good news.
8D0EA7EC-C06F-425F-AA87-FD2EBCC4C589.png

at least in nudged in there. That’s good.

Last edited:
Uh oh. That's a telltale sign the pushrods are too short. I think you need to do some measuring and reassess your valve train.
Yeah, the rods were right I think that happened when it pushed through. Definitely looking into a new rocker setup.

Yeah, the rods were right I think that happened when it pushed through. Definitely looking into a new rocker setup.
It could well have. Did you find the plunger retaining clip?

Nevermind. I see it's still in the lifter! There's the proof those wire clips ain't worth SNOT!
Yep still in there got the plunger out. Think I can replace that without pulling the manifold? Ever try it?

Long time no post but I finally got caught up. I bought a set of Comp 1622-16 ultra pro magnums and longer pushrods to go with them. The stocks pushrods were too short. While I was in there I swapped the eddie performer with the performer RPM. and bought a thermostat housing riser to accommodate the additional ports I needed for the Fitech system. the valves seemed to be okay if a covered in a bit of carbon so I cleaned them and rolled with it. the cam seemed okay so I rolled with that too.

Valves

IMG_0011.PNG

IMG_0010.PNG

IMG_0017.PNG

Eddie

IMG_0194.JPG

IMG_0242.JPG

Comp Rockers and rods, you can also see the thermostat riser. one thing that happened was that the Mopar performance cast valve covers hit the intake and would not seal properly so rather than grinding I doublestaked the gaskets which seems to be working great.

rocekr on valve.PNG

rockers.PNG

Keep it rolling! :)

IMG_0198.PNG

Last edited:
With the Motor back together I got back to installing the Fitech system. After locking the distributer and installing it I set the timing as instructed. For me I set it up alike this.
Fitech engine set up:
-> Crank mark 15 BTDC
-> Distributor reluctor on pickup
-> Phased rotor 60% advance of cap post width (drilled a hole in an old cap to make a window)
-> Set V8, 345 (.40 over), and number 2 mild cam.
-> set base timing on fitech controller to 15
-> Started engine and Locked idle spark adjust
-> Advance the distributor to 30 BTDC with light and tighten clamp
-> Set IAC to 6
-> reset IAC and TPS learn
-> Adjusted VR4000 to 8
-> Then tuned base timing to 17 BTDC (all in @4000 I'm 38 degrees advance)

Starts and Runs really well at this point so I'm leaving it like this for now. The throttle response is very noticeable.

Distributor alignment

IMG_0497.PNG

IMG_0499.PNG

IMG_0519.PNG

still almost looks stock

IMG_0623.JPG

IMG_0624.JPG

IMG_0625.JPG

Gotta find a better place for this.

IMG_0626.JPG

IMG_0627.JPG

IMG_0628.JPG

IMG_0629.JPG

Wish I had more time to do this sooner. well at least i'm back rolling even if its after the summer lol.

Last edited:
Dave brings up a good point about the build date. I probably should have posted the fender tag detail earlier in the thread. Looks like this GTS was built kind of early during 69 production with lots of 68 date coded parts on it. I can also tell you that my seats have no headrests which I think were made mandatory later in the 69 production run.

This is how my tag reads:

LS23:
Dodge Dart,Demon
Special
2 Door Hardtop

P9B: 340 275HP 1-4BBL 8 CYL
Dodge Main, Hamtramck, MI, USA

143309: Sequence number

E55: 340 cid 4 barrel V8 275hp
D32: Heavy Duty Automatic Transmission
B5: Bright Blue Metallic Exterior Color
P6X: Trim - Premium, Vinyl Bucket Seats, Black
X9: Black Int. Door Frames
917: Build Date: September 17
118244: Order number

A04: Unknown Top Color
C16: Console w/Woodgrain Panel
C55: Bucket Seats
G11: Tinted Glass (all)
G33: LH Remote Racing Mirror
H51: Air Conditioning with Heater

J25: 3 Speed Wipers
L31: Hood/Fender Mounted Turn Signals
M21: Roof drip rail moldings
M25: Wide sill moldings
R11: Radio Solid State AM (2 Watts)
V1X: Unknown

V8X: Tranverse Stripes, Black
END: End of Sales Codes

Does anyone have thoughts on the V1X and AO4 codes they've come back as unknown?

Thanks Guys
A04 is basic radio group. Beautiful Dart. I am just seeing this thread and I was shocked you took that car apart and did a total resto on it!!

Last edited:
-
Back