AMC lifter in an LA engine

-

66dartman

Reaction score
Comp has a solid lifter p/n 2901 that oils the cam face through a .010 or so hole. It loooks like a good idea for a flat tappet cam, but it also oils the pushrod cup for pushrod oiling the rockers. How do these work on an LA engine? Any oil leakage issues with solid pushrods?
Thanks in advance.

The aftermarket has been useing AMC lifters in MoPar cam packages for decades.

I understand that they will work, but do you get a lot of oil leakage at the pushrod cup with solid pushrods? I don't want to convert to pushrod oiling of the rockers, I just like the oil hole on the face. Comp doesn't offer a chrysler type lifter with the hole in the face.

Because Mopar push rods don't have oiling holes in them, the AMC lifters work fine. Any oil that comes up through the lifter just dead ends because the Mopar push rod blocks the flow. However, if you use push rods from a 396 Chevy application, that do have oil passages through them, in a 440, for instance, things will be somewhat different.
Don't ask how I know.

do they have it so there is no rocker oiling?? just cam
The AMC pushrod is designed like everyother pushrod that is supposed to oil the rocker via a hollow pushrod. The lifter does not oil the cam.
Use it without worry.
If they had a lifter so theres no rocker oiling, then that would be a Chrysler lifter.

I understand that they will work, but do you get a lot of oil leakage at the pushrod cup with solid pushrods?
Leakage at the lifters top and bottom of pushrod is a moot point or worry. Only an idoits hair to split into an argument for the sake to argue.

I don't want to convert to pushrod oiling of the rockers, I just like the oil hole on the face. Comp doesn't offer a chrysler type lifter with the hole in the face.
Comp Doesn't allways have "Chrysler" lifters. They often only have AMC lifters which are otherwise, exactly the same as a Chrysler lifter.

I understand that they will work, but do you get a lot of oil leakage at the pushrod cup with solid pushrods? I don't want to convert to pushrod oiling of the rockers, I just like the oil hole on the face. Comp doesn't offer a chrysler type lifter with the hole in the face.

Hughes does.

Leakage at the lifters top and bottom of pushrod is a moot point or worry. Only an idoits hair to split into an argument for the sake to argue.

if they offer these on a solid cam it would matter becasue when there is no load and a .018 gap its just gonna be squirting oil around the pushrod instead of being useful...

if they offer these on a solid cam it would matter becasue when there is no load and a .018 gap its just gonna be squirting oil around the pushrod instead of being useful...

Incorrect since this design has been used for many many years before I was born. (I'm 45)
Again, this is a moot point to discuss.

Incorrect since this design has been used for many many years before I was born. (I'm 45)
Again, this is a moot point to discuss.

used with a hollow pushrod correct?

and i really never messed with anything other than a slant so oil thru isn't an issue...

used with a hollow pushrod correct?

Correct. But if this is your argument point, I'm simply leaving.

Ya cn't talk sense into people sometimes, they just want to dwell on what the think and argue every point of a possible issue even though the system has been done for the last....at least 25 years. (That I have been doing it, and without issue.)

all push rod are hollow only the tips make it soild. Brain at imm say's to use tips for rocker oiling to fill the push rod with oil it takes out harmonics.

Correct. But if this is your argument point, I'm simply leaving.

Ya cn't talk sense into people sometimes, they just want to dwell on what the think and argue every point of a possible issue even though the system has been done for the last....at least 25 years. (That I have been doing it, and without issue.)

thats all i wanted to know...

i wasn't after if it worked or not...

all push rod are hollow only the tips make it soild. Brain at imm say's to use tips for rocker oiling to fill the push rod with oil it takes out harmonics.

seems like alot of added weight..

Yeah, use the best, strongest, thinnest pushrods you can. If you have bad harmonics, find out what was missed and fix it. If you need oil up top, use hollow tips that match your rocker radius. If you dont. Use solid tips. The hole in the top of the lifter doesnt mean you will have a loss of oil pressure or anything. Oil does not bleed through that hole unrestricted. It really only trickles out of there. Like was said, hydraulic lifters were set to "AMC" mode on Mopars decades ago in the aftermarket parts industry. No problem using them.

-
Back