Any advice on installing a Novi 1500

-

tooslow

Reaction score
Hello,
I have purchased a Novi 1500 Supercharger Head and I am going to install it on my 440 Cuda. I am a DIY guy because that is the only way i can afford the Hobby. Good and Bad, I do everything on my Cars. That being said, I am looking for any advice, technical, part suppliers, carbs, ect. I will try and post pics as i go of my Supercharger build?
DonorSupercharger is mounting on the drivers side
Engine( I am going to run 10psi tops)
446 w 906 heads - 3 angle valve job
Kieth Block pistons hyper,s -should i change them?
9.5 to 1 but going to increase to 8 to 1 with a gasket
Should I install a main stud Girdle?
The cam is a 528 purple stick, 112 lobe seperation plus I am using 1.6 ratio rockers, plan on using this same Cam
Carb- Plan on buying a used 4150 850 Holley?
I plan on using Exhaust pipe(stainless or Aluminized) for piping?
I NEED TO MAKE MY OWN PLATE(If Bill Dedman reads this can you help me locate a Blower drive plate?) Installing on same side as your valiant
SHOULD I USE 1/2 in or 3/4 inch AL plate?( i have a bridgeport but if I can buy that great looking waterjet cut piece that Dedman used would be GREAT!!
ANY TIPS ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!

Can i use an Aeromotive bypass regulator vs a boost referanced Reg with an Aeromotive Street/Strip Elec Fuel Pump 150GPH ?

Anybody..?.don't make me go to HAMB -though they are a friendly bunch and they love DIY dudes like me that just don't plunk down the cash because that's the way

:coffee2:
Hello,
I have purchased a Novi 1500 Supercharger Head and I am going to install it on my 440 Cuda. I am a DIY guy because that is the only way i can afford the Hobby. Good and Bad, I do everything on my Cars. That being said, I am looking for any advice, technical, part suppliers, carbs, ect. I will try and post pics as i go of my Supercharger build?
DonorSupercharger is mounting on the drivers side
Engine( I am going to run 10psi tops)
446 w 906 heads - 3 angle valve job
Kieth Block pistons hyper,s -should i change them?
9.5 to 1 but going to increase to 8 to 1 with a gasket
Should I install a main stud Girdle?
The cam is a 528 purple stick, 112 lobe seperation plus I am using 1.6 ratio rockers, plan on using this same Cam
Carb- Plan on buying a used 4150 850 Holley?
I plan on using Exhaust pipe(stainless or Aluminized) for piping?
I NEED TO MAKE MY OWN PLATE(If Bill Dedman reads this can you help me locate a Blower drive plate?) Installing on same side as your valiant
SHOULD I USE 1/2 in or 3/4 inch AL plate?( i have a bridgeport but if I can buy that great looking waterjet cut piece that Dedman used would be GREAT!!
ANY TIPS ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!

Can i use an Aeromotive bypass regulator vs a boost referanced Reg with an Aeromotive Street/Strip Elec Fuel Pump 150GPH ?

Anybody..?.don't make me go to HAMB -though they are a friendly bunch and they love DIY dudes like me that just don't plunk down the cash because that's the way

That sounds like a really fun project!!!

My supercharger is a Vortech )V-1, S-trim) so what fits my blower will probably not fit yours. But, the half-inch aluminum plate I used is plenty strong; no need for anything thicker. The waater-cutting facility's contact information is here: http://www.acccutting.com/

You could just do what I did and make your own pattern out of cardboard and send them the pattern and they can put the parameters in their computer and cut you a copy. They are very reasonably priced.

You will probably need some standoffs to position the blower (and drive-pulley fore-and-aft.) Below are some pictures of my DIY project.

Feel free to email me at [email protected] if I can help you out in any way. With 10 pounds of boost, that thing is gonna FLY!!!!

Attachments

• 100_1924.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 305
  • 100_3204.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 316
  • 100_3203.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 339
  • 100_3205.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 299
  • 100_3206-3.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 325
Thank you Bill, Paxton pulley's came today along with the belt. I chose a 7 inch crank pulley along with a 3:43 Supercharger pulley. The factory 440 kit comes with 3:68 Supercharger pulley. I have taken your advice and i am using a piece of 1/2 plywood for my plate mock-up. I also purchased a new Demon 850 annular low thru Carb $650 w shipping, not bad. I almost bought a used carb off EBAY but i figured i better not since this is my first Tangle w a Supercharger and I have Hyper pistons
Why not use a spring loaded HD tensioner from GATES.?
What blow off valve did you use?
work on pics today, Save the pics first to Photobucket is the way i did it before??

Thank you Bill, Paxton pulley's came today along with the belt. I chose a 7 inch crank pulley along with a 3:43 Supercharger pulley. The factory 440 kit comes with 3:68 Supercharger pulley. I have taken your advice and i am using a piece of 1/2 plywood for my plate mock-up. I also purchased a new Demon 850 annular low thru Carb $650 w shipping, not bad. I almost bought a used carb off EBAY but i figured i better not since this is my first Tangle w a Supercharger and I have Hyper pistons
Why not use a spring loaded HD tensioner from GATES.?
What blow off valve did you use?
work on pics today, Save the pics first to Photobucket is the way i did it before??

The Mustangs get by with a non-spring-loaded tensioner, and I was in a hurry when I built my setup and wimped out and put a static tensioner on the serpentine belt and have experienced no problems with it (no apparent slippage; 10 psi through the traps) but I realize a spring-loaded setup is better. For now, it seems to work without problems, though, so I'll probably leave it alone for now.

My blow-off valve was a cheapie off ebay and I don't even remember what kind it is, but it's hella-noisy, so it must work okay. Here;s a picure or two...

Attachments

• 100_3215.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 232
  • 100_3217.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 233
  • 100_3234-1.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 232
THANK YOU FOR THE PICs Helps quite a bit
I as well will use a static idler pulley, simple
Is the small black hose coming from your carb hat for your boost ref regulator? What fuel pump and regulator are you using?

THANK YOU FOR THE PICs Helps quite a bit
I as well will use a static idler pulley, simple
Is the small black hose coming from your carb hat for your boost ref regulator? What fuel pump and regulator are you using?

I built this 360 car a while back. I have learned some things since then nd would do things differently if I built it today. My partner and I built a different car more recently and have discovered a system that works well and I would recommend it. It consists of a Walbro external pump GSL392 from Summit and an Aeromotive boost regulated regulator (see photo).

Can't remember the number... sorry, but you might be able to tell from the picture, and yes, the line runs from the carb hat to the regulator reference port.

That pump picture is NOT the Walbro; it's the original Product Engineering pump I used.... no problems, but expensive.

Run an AN-8 line from the pump and return to the tank-return.
Hope this helps...:blob:

Attachments

• 100_3795.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 218
  • 100_3265.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 210
  • aeromotive regulator.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 191
  • aei-13204.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 210
Holy Smokes! The Walbro GSl392 it is.. 119.00 at Summit and free shipping
I see you are using an MSD ignition
What spark retard system do you reccomend? I have an MSD 6AL
I spot the accumulator , is the 360 a corner carver?
I really appreciate your help Sir!!!

Holy Smokes! The Walbro GSl392 it is.. 119.00 at Summit and free shipping
I see you are using an MSD ignition
What spark retard system do you recomend? I have an MSD 6AL
I spot the accumulator , is the 360 a corner carver?
I really appreciate your help Sir!!!

Thanks for the kind words!!!

The Walbro is a lot of pump for the money, and is dead-quiet...

My 360 has an MSD Boost timing master retard unit, which includes the module (You can throw away your orange/chrome box.) It has a dash-mounted control knob that allows you to retard the spark either not at all, or one, two, or three degrees for each pound of boost it "sees" up to a total of fifteen degrees. Handy for running various octane fuels. It is not compatible with a 6-A-L since it is not a regular multiple-spark-discharge unit.... rather, an analog module, at 42,000-volts, which seemed to be plenty; it never mis-fired at ten pounds of boost on my 360.

See: http://www.jegs.com/i/MSD/121/8762/...&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CPOWnO_T17wCFUcV7AodB0EANQ

The Moroso accumulator is on our slant six drag car (turbo'd.) The 360 car is just a street/strip/daily-driver... a low-11 second sedan with an engine that is 100% stock except for a 750 Holley and the hydraulic roller Hughes cam and valve springs (and roller rockers.) Just a fun car...
We haven't had a chance to put the slant six car on a set of clocks, but the hope is that it will outrun the V8 car. Talk is cheap; we'll see this year...

Attachments

• valleave2.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 186
-
Back