Any big block EDIS users...with pics

-
I'm not sure "EDIS" is a "trigger." How about "wasted spark" or "coil on plug" "coil near plug" That's the trouble with this "new" technology..........too many slang terms crop up

CnP (coil near plug) for big blocks

dsc_0811-large-jpg.jpg

It made it to Motor Trend!!

Adding Holley’s Universal Coil-Near-Plug Ignition System to a Big-Block Mopar

That looks like member @AndyF engine. He is using a MSD crank trigger ignition to trigger the coils IIRC.
Perhaps he will chime in soon.

I'm not sure "EDIS" is a "trigger." How about "wasted spark" or "coil on plug" "coil near plug" That's the trouble with this "new" technology..........too many slang terms crop up

CnP (coil near plug) for big blocks

View attachment 1715939613

It made it to Motor Trend!!

Adding Holley’s Universal Coil-Near-Plug Ignition System to a Big-Block Mopar
Sorry about that again guys. It is a Ford EDIS-8. Yes it is a wasted spark system. It has two coil packs for four plugs per coil pack. It is triggered with a 36-1 wheel and a VR sensor. I think the gentleman you speak of. I've been talking with some. I was just curious if anyone else has mounting ideas or have ran this pros and cons. It's going to be on my new 440 stroker motor with a blower. Just curious. Thanks

Last edited:
That looks like member @AndyF engine. He is using a MSD crank trigger ignition to trigger the coils IIRC.
Perhaps he will chime in soon.

Hope he responses. He sold the BB Duster he built and hasn't posted here since May of last year and hasn't been on since August 6th of last year. I'm wondering if he walked away from the whole car thing.

not used it on a big block. have a kit for a 6 not fitted, so this lot just comes from research, bench testing and tradeing in all the parts i picked up and didn't need, 4 6 and 8 connectors 4 6 and 8 modules etc all of which went on ebay 10 years ago...

pros accurate to a fraction of a degree, reliable powerful and if you use a megajolt or similar to control it, totally map-able with either TPS or MAP for load.

cons
finding an EDIS 8 Module is hard work. but they are prety un bustable
used to be able to pick up NOS for $20-$60 those days are gone

the wireing is all ford connectors or mini timer/injector style. individual seals and pins etc are hard to get and you will be hard pushed to find a crimp tool for sensible money
pig tails solder and heat shrink is the order of the day

the EDIS 8 Plug has its insertion keys reversed from the more common ford explorer european cougar EDIS 6, and all the small 4 cylinder versions sold everywhere as fords and mazdas

modules are usually rivited to the car on the bulkhead or up front on the inner wing behind the headlight. they are metal cased with plastic front. you can't just easily get them off when at the junk yard.

i think you can completely dismantle the connectors and bodge a 4 o 6 connector to fit an EDIS 8 but you will need a few to get enough pins to cover all the connections for an 8 cylinder install it might involve a multi tool/mini grinder

you will need to fit a 36-1 tone ring to the crank some how, and build a robust mount for the pickup that cant vibrate. any pickup from any EDIS or later ECU ford will work
an ally hub bolted to the balancer centre might work but might just get in the way of the radiator fan. mounting it on the balancer introducs inaccuracy becasue the outer of the balancer is rubber mounted
if you run a fluid damper maybe not so much.

long studs for the timeing cover can act as stands/mounts for the pickup, but you will need to weld up a mounting for it. to bolt to your studs

small fords had the 36-1 pattern drilled in a circle in the back of the flywheel and had the pickup through the bellhoing mounting flange on the back of the block...

you will need two 4 cylinder coil packs

you will need to create a tach driver from a bunch of diodes as the thing is wasted spark and multi coil. i.e you spark 2 plugs every time. one on ignition and one on exhaust and you have basically 4 coils with 8 plug leads in 2 seperate units
DIYEFI/megasquirt site has details on coil to tacho connection and how to wire up the diodes

You should try to create 1 single ground connection for the whole lot and supply it and what ever you control it with from direct battery feed. keeps spikes out of the supply.....

EDIS thoughts done.... long time since i had to think about this :)

Dave

Hope he responses. He sold the BB Duster he built and hasn't posted here since May of last year and hasn't been on since August 6th of last year. I'm wondering if he walked away from the whole car thing.
HOLY COW Dion I did not realize that.

HOLY COW Dion I did not realize that.

I didn't know either until I asked if there were any updates on his BB Duster thread and someone told me he sold it. Tried to find something on the sale and came up blank.

He really would be a good source for this thread, too.

Since I am running just carburetors, I was just intrigued with the idea of no distributor. On a budget lol. I know that I can go the more expensive route and MSD and everything but so far I went to the boneyard and picked up everything but the controller for $49 including harnesses, wiring, etc. And sensor. As soon as my wheel comes. And my mega joke controller gets here. I will dive into the project.. just looking hope somebody had some pictures of mounting especially with the blower for the coils. I can figure out but we'll and sensor and trigger I hope lol

Don't forget you can also go with crank trigger, some sort of electronic timing control, and then just a single coil, using the dist only for secondary distribution.

The EDIS is just something looks different. I was told by a engine controller guy. My best bet would be electronic distributor, an MSD box with adjustable timing and you would be good to go so I just think it's interesting looking something different

Thanks. I know he wasn’t a big poster on the forum. He would come and go. When he was here, he would stay awhile and post up and help out. Then he would go away for a while, then suddenly return with updates.

I hope his health is good. It could really be anything or nothing.

-
Back