any power in a 318?

-

72 lucey

Reaction score
hey im new to the fourom but my first queston i have is can i get 400 hp outa a 318 i have had many mixed answers on my owen i currently have a la 318 that is boerd 60 over an ported 360 nheads to sit on her only reason im not running a 360 is because im on a very tight do it at home budget with this car and the block came with the car its a 72 dart and is my first mucle car and im glad its a mopar but im just gettin out high school and plan to build her aty home on my owen so the shorter my shopping list the better so if the 318 is worth my time id like to use it if it isnt then id seek a 360 but im curious:-k

There is an article where Brian at IMM got nearly 500hp from 318 and there is a article with how to get 400hp. check them out. Both used parts easily to get and under 5k

would it be cheaper tho to just go with a 360? all im lookin for is 400 hp somthin to play with until i can really afford to do a better build

There's plenty of power to be had from a 318, but it ain't cheap. For about the same bucks and a less radical build, you can do the same with a 360, and even better, with a mild build you can make 400HP from a 383, with out trying, and STILL have a lot of headroom.

would it be cheaper tho to just go with a 360? all im lookin for is 400 hp somthin to play with until i can really afford to do a better build

I don't mean to be a jerk, but spell and grammar check please. Your giving me a headache, and making a fool of yourself.

One search on Google for '318 400hp' revealed this:

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/mopp_0409_318_engine_build/viewall.html

Here is another link:

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tech/0810phr_chrysler_318_engine/viewall.html

Good luck!

Check out hot rod magazine the article is 400 junk yard jewel they take a 318 bored port and polish heads oversize valves comp cam 360 intake and a stock 4 bbl thermoquad carb and it dyno tested at 375 horse at the fly wheel i'm on a tight budget building my car too and this is the route i'm taking check it out

any power in a 318....... a bit......but u want torque to so stroke that teen and it will scream

There's a video floatin around here of a right powerful 273 that' revvin like 7500. So yeah, small engines can make big power built right.

More info would help. You say your block is .060 over, what pistons are you running? Has the motor been run after the rebuild? How far down the bores are the pistons at tdc? You can make enough power to be happy with what you have for not a lot of money. You just need a well thought out combo and buy the right parts at a good price.

The 360 crank Idea is expensive. Slugs (pistons) are through the roof, ($$$) machining the crank is pricey. Getting a new 360 stroke crank for the 318/340 mains is also pricey. As a for now build, just follow the mag's build and then save for a engine that you want to do.

To clear something up;

MoPar has a 3.58 stroke (360 stroke) crank with 318/340 mains designed to drop into a 318 but mostly a 340 for the old tyme stroker combo to make 370+ cubes.

367.1 cubes, stock bore
372.6 @ .030 overbore
378.1 @ .060 overbore

Thank you Ladies.

Hensley sells 402 small blocks based off the .090 over 318 all day long. The sheen shop can whittle you out a 360 crank to fit in a 318 for less than 100 bucks. So that means with a clear sonic check, you can build a small journal 360 or get a 4" crank for 279 bucks and build a 402. People say they caint be bored that far, but it sure as hell is funny that Hensley has been doing it for a long time now. I mean, all you're talkin about is .045" per side. You looked at that on a feeler gauge lately? Hot roddin is all about pushing the envelope and takin it to the limit. If a bored out and stroked teen ain't it, then I don't know what is.

I thought cranks were hardened and the more you turn them the less hardened they are.

Nodular iron cranks are not hardened. Of those steel cranks that are, the hardening process goes much deeper than you might think.

-
Back