Anybody consider a V6 swap?

-

chlngr1970

Reaction score
I stand here looking at the '68 Dart in my garage, and I am thinking to myself, how hard would a late model V6 swap be? I see more and more, the late model Hemi going into the older iron. Why would a V6 be harder?

In general, from all those that have done a late V8 swap, what are some of the issues you have run into. Can you think of any reason that a V6 should NOT be swapped? Obviously, performance would be an issue, but what if it is just going to be a cruiser? Something that has style, and reliability?

j

I have one reason why you should not swap in a modern V-6. SLANT SIX!!!! It was produced from '59-91(in marine apps.) Cheap and easy to find. Keith Black said that he has never seen any other engine that responds to modifications like the slant six,and I agree.

Why would you swap in a modern six,when you could just use one of the greatest engines Chrysler ever built? Cheaper and easier. Add fuel injection,and a turbo and go HEMI hunting!

My .02

They came standed with a 6 banger. Why replace one with another. May as well put in a V8 if you are doing a swap.

You'd get the same results by getting pop-up pistons to create some quench and increase compression along with some head porting on a slant-6.

O.K. I'm going to talk with ya a little about this. Only because your question is something that my Dad would have asked. Just to see what I would say to it. I'm guessing that you are asking this just to throw a little something different in the mix?? Well, there is not a V6 that I would EVER consiter changing out for a /6 anyway. If there was some spectacular V6 out there, I'm really not aware of it. It would be really odd to open the hood on my '65 barracuda and see a V6 Ford motor or something under there. Now, I'm going to be realistic. There just is not any V6 made that would be worth putting in the work for. If you can come up with a V6 that is worth it I'll talk some more on this subject. Just for the sake of nothing else to talk about.

For sheer ease the 3.9L would be an easy transplant as it is a 318 with 2 cyl. loped off. Engine mounts and any LA v8 tranny (including OD units, although some tunnel mods will be needed for the OD) bolt right up. Complete drop in if you have all the wiring and pcm to go with it. I have seen a 3.9L transplanted into a dart. Is it as cool as a fuelie slanty? Not even sorta kinda.

dartfever, I think I may have seen the same car, Tan Poly colour with white vinyl top? I talked to the guy that had it at Moparfest, He claimed he was getting about 35mpg (imperial gallon) and that he had all the performance he wanted. I thought it was cool, I would never do something like that, but to each their own... That was just a dakota v6, fit in pretty nicely. If this is what you are interested in I say what more can you ask for, an awesome looking daily driver that gets better mileage than todays "efficient" cars.

I have one reason why you should not swap in a modern V-6. SLANT SIX!!!! It was produced from '59-91(in marine apps.) Cheap and easy to find. Keith Black said that he has never seen any other engine that responds to modifications like the slant six,and I agree.

My .02

Well, it's nice to see a /6 flag waver, but, I'm sorry to everyone here, the slant 6 engine bot just plain out sucks, it blows and it's the biggest peice of crap I have ever had the mis-fortune to drive a car with.

Not one of the 6 I have had the displeasure of driving ever came within 50% of the mildest hype I have ever heard or read.

IMO, a modren V-6 gets better mileage, twice the torque and will go reallly far between tune ups. Even if you used an ealry 90's V-6, that is lower on HP and torque than the current replacements being used, your still ahead of the game big time.

Why would you swap in a modern six,when you could just use one of the greatest engines Chrysler ever built? Cheaper and easier. Add fuel injection,and a turbo and go HEMI hunting!

I'm sorry, LOL, what nit whit would modify a /6 to hunt a HEMI?
Bwa ha ha ha haha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haha ha ha ha ha ha.
The expens of everything listed to upgrade a /6 is just as expensive or cheap, whatever as vs. a S/B or B/B and will get 4x's the power of that leaning tower of lameness.

A modern 6? Lets see. Mine got 30 mpg's in a 3500 lbs car while mantaining good power at all levels, while traveling with the car full of people going on vaction.

I never looked into such a swap or if a FWD engine would do it easy enuff, but NOW that I see this, I think I'm going to piss off a few purists and flag wavers. Stay tuned. One day this just might show up on ForAbodies only!!!!!!!!!!

I think it depends on what is already in the Dart. If it is a V-8 car then the V-6 will drop in. However if it is a /6 car you'll need motor mount adapters (Schumacher Creative Industries?) or a V-8 K-frame. Putting a carburetor on the V-6 will be more straight forward than trying to make a fuelie out of a '68.

If you go with the V-6, you'll need a long fan shroud or an electric fan to cool the engine. If you have a V-8, the bellhousing will fit the V-6 with no problem. Otherwise, you'll need to swap the bellhousing or transmission to make it work.

IMO if the car is already a /6, leave it as a /6. There's plenty of aftermarket support to get quite a bit more power out of it. If it was a V-8 car, then the V-6 with a 350 cfm Holley makes more sense. Aftermarket go fast parts for the V-6 will be more limited.

dartfever, I think I may have seen the same car, Tan Poly colour with white vinyl top? I talked to the guy that had it at Moparfest, He claimed he was getting about 35mpg (imperial gallon) and that he had all the performance he wanted. I thought it was cool, I would never do something like that, but to each their own... That was just a dakota v6, fit in pretty nicely. If this is what you are interested in I say what more can you ask for, an awesome looking daily driver that gets better mileage than todays "efficient" cars.

Yeah that's probably the one. His was carbed IIRC. 35 mpg (29 mpg US gal.) seems a little optimistic to me but I suppose its possible. Do you remember if it had the OD tranny in it?

Do you remember if it had the OD tranny in it?

Yeah, I believe he took the entire engine trans combo from the dakota. I seem to remember him saying he also had some crazy high gear for mileage reasons. Something way below 3.00 - 1. If I get time to take my dart to moparfest this year I will definatley remeber to bring my camera, hope to see that car again so I can have some pictures of it in my auto library.

One of our own did this swap. I have the photo but not the name of the member that did it. It is a very clean swap. I hope he will respond to this post. I think it was a 66 wagon and would make a great motor for a cruiser. 20+ MPG I'm sure.
toolman

Here is the one at Moparfest, and yes it has an OD...

66.JPG

666.JPG

I'm thinking you'll be making motor mounts. The "ears" that they use on small blocks would be in an area that doesn't exist on a V6.

If I was going to go through a lot of trouble to swap in an engine that didn't come in the car originally and wasn't a V8, I would do the Neon SRT-4 Turbo I-4. Now that is a good running engine.

Grinder your back!:cheers:I seen a Grand National V6 Turbo in a Celica?Fast as hell,but broke down at the track!LOL!Me Likey 8,s.

Well I think the 3.9 fuelinjected with the 500 overdrive , 3.55 suregrip is a lot better than any old slant 6. But that is waht I think. The 66 wagon is a great engine swap a little harder than the 5.9 because of making mounts fit. I get 23/25 mpg with the air cond blowing cold going down the road at 70 mph. I also have a 65 Valiant Conv with the 225 slant six and will not touch this car because I like the slant 6 but it doesnt get the mileage the 3.9 does. I love both cars. My 64 Dart GT with the 5.9 it gets 25 to 26 mpg with the 518 overdrive / 3.91 suregrip Love all three cars.

Anybody hear about the just-released "Phoenix" V-6 engines? The 3.6L from the new Jeep Grand Cherokee pushes out around 280 HP in mild stock SUV-tuned form which is pretty damn good. Has many very advanced design features such as exhaust "manifolds" cast into the heads and chain-driven DOHC with VVT, MDS, and active intake manifolding.

Well I think the 3.9 fuelinjected with the 500 overdrive , 3.55 suregrip is a lot better than any old slant 6. But that is waht I think. The 66 wagon is a great engine swap a little harder than the 5.9 because of making mounts fit. I get 23/25 mpg with the air cond blowing cold going down the road at 70 mph. I also have a 65 Valiant Conv with the 225 slant six and will not touch this car because I like the slant 6 but it doesnt get the mileage the 3.9 does. I love both cars. My 64 Dart GT with the 5.9 it gets 25 to 26 mpg with the 518 overdrive / 3.91 suregrip Love all three cars.
Getting some good mileage/pg there Earl!Post some pics of the three amigos?LOL!

I never looked into such a swap or if a FWD engine would do it easy enuff
I was thinking more along the lines of a RWD V6, like the 3.9, or even the newer 3.7 with the OD trans.
but NOW that I see this, I think I'm going to piss off a few purists and flag wavers. Stay tuned. One day this just might show up on ForAbodies only!!!!!!!!!!
I would follow this rather intently, as I haven't made up my mind yet. I imagine it would probably cost just as much as a late model V8 so maybe it is just a moot point...
72 Demon said:
I think it depends on what is already in the Dart. If it is a V-8 car then the V-6 will drop in. However if it is a /6 car you'll need motor mount adapters (Schumacher Creative Industries?) or a V-8 K-frame. Putting a carburetor on the V-6 will be more straight forward than trying to make a fuelie out of a '68.

If you go with the V-6, you'll need a long fan shroud or an electric fan to cool the engine. If you have a V-8, the bellhousing will fit the V-6 with no problem. Otherwise, you'll need to swap the bellhousing or transmission to make it work.

IMO if the car is already a /6, leave it as a /6. There's plenty of aftermarket support to get quite a bit more power out of it. If it was a V-8 car, then the V-6 with a 350 cfm Holley makes more sense. Aftermarket go fast parts for the V-6 will be more limited.
The car was a /6 from the factory. The previous owner removed the 6 in favor of dropping in a 440. That conversion was never finished. What I have in my garage, is a /6 car, with a /6 transmission, with no motor. I have in my garage a 318, a 340, and a 440 that will all need to be built. I am considering purchasing a running car with a trashed body to pull the drive train in favor of getting the car on the road quicker. I'd kinda like to get this on the road as a driver. My GF wants me to give the car to her youngest son ( He's 10 now ) The whole late model V6 engine swap was an extension of the popular late model Hemi swap. Just another option in my already myriad field of options.

j

PS, this wasn't meant to step on any toes :hiding:

Well if I had your car the way it is setting I would find some late model mopar v6 fuellinjection with overdrive and do the swap. If he 10 years old now you have plenty of time to do the swap. But in any swap with the overdrive there is cutting to be done.

Scott here are a few of the three. The last picture is of the manifold I pick up for the 65 valiant so now I have that with my headers. Now I have to find me a nice mild cam / lifers for the slant 6 more work cut out for me.

left side.jpg

left side eng.jpg

right frt gt.jpg

right side eng 64.jpg

1966 dart  wagon (5) (Large).jpg

Picture 037 (Medium).jpg

Buick V6 turbo, fastest thing I have ever owned. I'd put it in every car if I could, its a great daily driver engine and a racer too.

1.JPG

-
Back