Anyone done a strong 400 build ?

-
Using a 4.25" stroke crankshaft in a 400 block is really all the stroke you can, or should put in a 400 block. You just run out of available compression height for the piston with any more stroke at a 9.800 deck height. With a 4.375" bore that will yield 511 cubic inches. I don't know why everyone advertises them as 512" because mathematically they are not a 512".

I've probably sold seven or eight 3.91" stroke cranks to guys building the 470" short blocks. This makes a very nice combination in my opinion. Room for rods and room to use a nice compression height piston.

Tom

Besides being able to use some factory parts in the 451 the stroker kits all cost about the same price.
True, unless you do some of the work yourself. But I completely agree some of the stroker kits are a very good deal. Our own @PROSTOCKTOM for example would be my go to were a big sack of cash to hit me in the head. I've always wanted to build a 400 based stroker and he'd be the guy to help me make it happen.

good friend's Charger with a 400 stroked to 498''

42346128_10155642073316891_6903055782422511616_n.jpg

432909056_6651402818293039_2005346422930885687_n.jpg

True, unless you do some of the work yourself. But I completely agree some of the stroker kits are a very good deal. Our own @PROSTOCKTOM for example would be my go to were a big sack of cash to hit me in the head. I've always wanted to build a 400 based stroker and he'd be the guy to help me make it happen.
I have Molnar stuff but sourced my own because I can't afford a kit

I have Molnar stuff but sourced my own because I can't afford a kit
What makes it even worse is, Tom's stuff is all really great deals too. Still caint afford it. But it's cool cause I'm into slant sixes anyway. I wouldn't mind doing one with some nice pistons and rods though and I think he could help me with those. Maybe one of these days.

What makes it even worse is, Tom's stuff is all really great deals too. Still caint afford it. But it's cool cause I'm into slant sixes anyway. I wouldn't mind doing one with some nice pistons and rods though and I think he could help me with those. Maybe one of these days.
Yep, Tom does very a nice kit for the price

I think the only kit I’ve ever bought was from 440source. A 500 my first 440 stroker and a 512 I bought for my mega block and sold it all. Still have a used set of rods and 4.5 bore pistons I had cut for both 440-1 heads and B1 heads.

I think the only kit I’ve ever bought was from 440source. A 500 my first 440 stroker and a 512 I bought for my mega block and sold it all. Still have a used set of rods and 4.5 bore pistons I had cut for both 440-1 heads and B1 heads.
When I win the lottery.......

I've always wanted to build a 511 pump gas motor, but never got around to it. To me if they kits all cost the same, why not go bigger. There's no replacement for displacement.

i ran across this You Tube video the other day. Stock stroke 400 with all the good goodies-right at 1000 hp at 9800 rpm. (Switzer Racing Engines Koffels B1 Head Chrysler Big Block Engine Dyno- stock stroke 400).

Some goal for the engine might help narrow it down, hp, rpm, driver, racer etc.. ?

If your shooting for 550 hp and under wouldn't really worry about stroking it.

I've always wanted to build a 511 pump gas motor, but never got around to it. To me if they kits all cost the same, why not go bigger. There's no replacement for displacement.
I tend to agree, to a point. When you start getting to the point that the piston has to be really short, it's time to back up one. There needs to be some support on the piston to help stop it from doing "funny stuff" in the bore.

Id be extremely interested in an stroker combinations starting with the 400 block. 598/499/500/512 ???
Where'd you go? Assuming you have a good block, I'd do minimal overbore and target 11:1 maximum. 3.91 Molnar crank/ 270 TF heads/ HS rockers/ 265ish @ 050 .680" net lift roller 108lsa/ Alloy caps and main studs/ partial fill block/ Indy 4500 intake with a good clean-up and a 1050 4500

good friend's Charger with a 400 stroked to 498''

View attachment 1716251192

View attachment 1716251193

a 400 with moderate compression (9.5:1) and a reasonable cam (under .500) and some decent heads-- breathed on 906/915 or eddy's will put down 400+ all day without even breaking a sweat. a little more cam and some head work would see you knocking on the door of 500 pretty easy without anything really exotic.

Where'd you go? Assuming you have a good block, I'd do minimal overbore and target 11:1 maximum. 3.91 Molnar crank/ 270 TF heads/ HS rockers/ 265ish @ 050 .680" net lift roller 108lsa/ Alloy caps and main studs/ partial fill block/ Indy 4500 intake with a good clean-up and a 1050 4500
I'm interested in the 500+ CID,
500+ HP club membership, on the budget plan.

The kits are very reasonable and all forged , as Ill be running some N2O
Lots of cruising, occasional street racing, etc.

I'm looking for Peak power at a lower rpm, (tork monster) most importantly, high durability

I'm looking for Peak power at a lower rpm, (tork monster) most importantly, high durability
I assumed you meant street and high durability. I stand by my recommendation it's all shelf stock as well.

I built a 458 out of a bunch of spare parts, put it in a gutted 70 Duster with 2 stages of nitrous. It was plumb scary when the second stage 250 shot came on.

Well, I guess it's time to pick your favorite & build an engine.

-
Back