Anyone flow bench an Edelbrock 1406?

-
I thought I’d see a reply with results from someone.
I heard..... these are dry air / no fuel flow tested and rated. Anyone care to expand on this?

I do remember that Carter (and Edelbrock I assume) measured those carburetors differently than what Holley did.

The industry does it at a 28” drop?
That’ll work.

That’s for cylinder heads. IIRC, it’s 10.4 inches for a 4V and...dang...I can’t remember what the 2V tests at. I used to know. Getting old sucks. I guess I can look it up.

EDIT: 4V carbs are tested at 20.4 inches of water...and a 2V is tested at 40.8 inches of water!!!!!!!!!

My memory sucks. But that’s the test pressures for carbs. I never really cared about what the car actually flowed. I care about the venturi diameter, the throttle blade diameter and how each booster flowed and getting all that stuff equal.

Other way around. Holley flowed dry
I’ve seen Holley videos the other way around. Perhaps I’m mistaken?
That’s for cylinder heads. IIRC, it’s 10.4 inches for a 4V and...dang...I can’t remember what the 2V tests at. I used to know. Getting old sucks. I guess I can look it up.

EDIT: 4V carbs are tested at 20.4 inches of water...and a 2V is tested at 40.8 inches of water!!!!!!!!!

My memory sucks. But that’s the test pressures for carbs. I never really cared about what the car actually flowed. I care about the venturi diameter, the throttle blade diameter and how each booster flowed and getting all that stuff equal.
I thought I remembered the numbers at 1.5 & 3 or something those numbers have to do with carbs.

Im with you on throttle blade, Venturi shape, length, though car carbs are generally all the same unlike a B-24 liberator’s carbs... LMAO ...

To that end, there also read/heard (FWIW - LMAO) That this is the method Carter/Edelbrock carries on with. IDK! You really have me on this one.

I would like to know the formula for the sizing. Then know what they actually flow.

Our passed on member (IIRC) 69 cuda 440 from Ct. listed a bunch of information on the OE Carter carbs, though not the WBC 4bbl. He listed a bunch of the other three. Hey do t know where he got the information from. How accurate it truly is or when it was obtained and how. But interestingly enough, it was a good listing.

A good example of it was the various cfm reporting of what appears to be the same AFB or AVS. More so the early AFB carbs. The TQ’s weren’t to much of a surprise when he listed them. Hey honestly never seen myself 800 & 850 actual cfm from them. It work they do! Real screamers. One of my fav‘s below.

Carter Thermoquad 'Competition Series'

#CS-4846S

'Advertised' at .... 850 CFM's

Primary .......... 1 1/2" {1.500"} .......... Venturi 1.186"
Secondary ...... 2 1/4" {2.250"}

Primary Jets ....... .080"
Secondary Jets ... .116"

Metering Rod ...... #615 {.059" Economy ~ .040" Power}

Needle and Seat ... .1110"

Features
* Manual Choke
* No Emission Ports
* Rear-Center Fuel Inlet

A 'damn rare' Carburetor.

Actual CFM Rating ........ 815 CFM's

Click this —> Carter Thermoquads ~ 'More General Information'

Last edited:
I’ve seen Holley videos the other way around. Perhaps I’m mistaken?

I thought I remembered the numbers at 1.5 & 3 or something those numbers have to do with carbs.

Im with you on throttle blade, Venturi shape, length, though car carbs are generally all the same unlike a B-24 liberator’s carbs... LMAO ...

To that end, there also read/heard (FWIW - LMAO) That this is the method Carter/Edelbrock carries on with. IDK! You really have me on this one.

I would like to know the formula for the sizing. Then know what they actually flow.

Our passed on member (IIRC) 69 cuda 440 from Ct. listed a bunch of information on the OE Carter carbs, though not the WBC 4bbl. He listed a bunch of the other three. Hey do t know where he got the information from. How accurate it truly is or when it was obtained and how. But interestingly enough, it was a good listing.

A good example of it was the various cfm reporting of what appears to be the same AFB or AVS. More so the early AFB carbs. The TQ’s weren’t to much of a surprise when he listed them. Hey honestly never seen myself 800 & 850 actual cfm from them. It work they do! Real screamers. One of my fav‘s below.

Click this —> Carter Thermoquads ~ 'More General Information'

FWIW...the 1.5 and 3.0 are measurements in inches of mercury. I just gave the converted inches of water numbers because that’s what we all use, and damn if I can remember why they flow test carbs at inches of mercury.

-
Back