Anyone here with a dog that has had a TPLO procedure?

-
Andre (2 year old rottweiler) had his TPLO surgery done on Dec 13 2023. We reduced his weight from 100 to 95#. After the surgery there are no stairs for two weeks. No unleashed pees or poops. A steady medication to reduce inflammation and to keep him comfortable (anxiety).

We kept him on leash only for about 8 weeks and encouraged no spazzing out after that as well. His primary exercise is/was swimming.

He injured himself with just some straightline acceleration going for the ball.

We have been very careful to get that leg up n running as to not injure the other.

EDIT: We got a ramp for the car.

He was a well behaved/trained boy before this happened and that paid dividends.

I dont do dog parks anymore.

I could have gotten it done cheaper, but I didnt. 7K. Money well spent IMHO.

There are re-hab situations that you could investigate. Its time and money as well but obviously less invasive.

Good luck.
Thank you for the input!

One of the vets we visited did mention "alternative therapies" and Rehab (not that they're the same, mind you), but the long term outcomes for either/both didn't sound as promising as surgery.

And despite the fact that we just decided on doing the surgery last night, my wife is already looking into "Doggy P/T" today.

Yeah, our dogs are spoiled.

Last edited:
You can do the PT.

It's a lot of range of motion type exercises, kind of the same as human.

When i had my ACL surgery a couple years ago, they had me in a CPM (constant passive movement) machine for 12 hrs a day. I pretty much just slept with the thing on.

Keeping the dog sedated without doping too bad is key. Its not like she is gonna get hooked.

You will do just fine.

You all should consider pet insurance. The Wife and I use Trupanion. Check it out. It has paid for itself in our case.

Doggies A.jpg

IMG_2003.JPG

Chomp.jpg

You all should consider pet insurance. The Wife and I use Trupanion. Check it out. It has paid for itself in our case.

View attachment 1716231662

View attachment 1716231663

View attachment 1716231665
I brought this up at the last vet, but he said that because Claire now has these conditions in her records (the knee as well as a possible start of hip dysplasia), they would be considered "Pre-existing Conditions", and wouldn't be covered.

So we're out, at least for now.

Cute pups, by the way! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
We looked into it as well, but with pre existing conditions, they wanted close to $100 a month for the one dog and about 50 for the other. Sadly, we no longer have an extra 150 a month laying around.

-
Back