Anyone run a Mopar .557 cam in a 383?

-

az426hemi

Reaction score
I have a fresh 383 going in my 64 Dart. The engine has about 10.5 comp with 440 Source heads that have been blueprinted and stage 1 ported by Muscle Motors. I have an RPM intake with a Biggs 750 carb. The car has a 4.88 Dana with a hemi 4 speed using 30" tall tires.

My question is mainiy to those who have actually run that cam in a 383.

1. How was the power output?
2. What was the power band

While I am mainly interested in the .557 cam I know that there are probably better cams out there. I will be running a solid cam. Feel free to make a suggestion and/or ask any questions. Ultimately I may try running a tunnel ram. Mostly because I am a masochist. lol.

Thanks,
MIke

Haven't looked up duration on that but It will wind tight for sure. The tunnel ram is a full range improvement. The 4 speed will get you going but I think it may pull down a bit between gears without more compression. I am very interested to see your results.

As per "Victory Library"

296° Mechanical: P4120661
Duration Intake Nominal 296° Duration Exhaust Nominal 296°
Duration Intake @ .050” 252° Duration Exhaust @ .050” 252°
Intake Lobe Centerline 108° ATDC Exhaust Lobe Centerline 112° BTDC
Lobe Separation Angle 110° Overlap 76°
Intake Opens 40° BTDC Exhaust Opens 80° BBDC
Intake Closes 76° ABDC Exhaust Closes 36° ATDC
Intake Lift .557" Exhaust Lift .557"
Note: as installed on 108° centerline per Chrysler

Rumble sez...
RPM range of 3500-7000? I guess. The 383 is a short stroke engine. Not much more stroke to it vs. the 273/318/340 crank. 3.31 vs 3.38?

In the Mopar engines book, this cam in a Duster equipped with an 8-1/4 & 4.30 years ran in the low 11's IIRC. The engine was a 9.0-1/400.
Click here and scroll down to a post by "383man" about his sons car and this cam. http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/5153974/site_id/1

Do you already have the .557? If so, run hell out of it. It's a good grind. I have a friend who used to have a 440 with one and it ran great.

Tunnels are sweet. No hassle really,just 2 of everything. Hemi in my avatar is street driven. Lots of fun. Pop that thing on!

don't bother with that cam. you won't get the performance your engine will be able to make. I went from a .600" cam to that thing and lost over one second in et. use a higher lift cam so the motor can breath because it will run out a steam fast with those gears and tires. you need something way over .600" lift.

A 383 with those heads and that cam is not going to run out of top end. Run the numbers on volumetric efficiency and that will be the least of your worries. If anything it will want more carb.

don't bother with that cam. you won't get the performance your engine will be able to make. I went from a .600" cam to that thing and lost over one second in et. use a higher lift cam so the motor can breath because it will run out a steam fast with those gears and tires. you need something way over .600" lift.

So you went from a .600 lift cam to a smaller .557 lift cam and your bitching about lost time on the slip? What was the duration of the .600 cam?

If you run the 557 cam, install it at 102-104 as long as you have piston to valve clearance. If it will go at 102, run it.

Same reason I suggest putting 108 lsa 484 and 509 cams in at 100-102... low end grunt.

:wack:
So you went from a .600 lift cam to a smaller .557 lift cam and your bitching about lost time on the slip? What was the duration of the .600 cam?

maybe I should have explained it a little different so you would have chose your words a tad more gentlemanly. so here goes BUD, I needed to get out of the high tens in to the low elevens to say in the bracket class I wanted to race in. I still needed to have all the torque so I didn't want to reduce timing because the start of the race is everything. the cam just didn't produce the results I was looking for because the cam didn't make enough torque.

-
Back