anyone wired in a retrofit radio for a 67-69 Barracuda?

-

Ryan ekes

Reaction score
Restoring a 67 cuda and decided to go with a retro fit radio and was wondering if I could get some advice. Having trouble on what wires I should use

what wires you should use for what? power? ground? speakers? unless you've gutted the car, the wiring that was used originally can be reused..

it's still a good 12v source - mostly it depends on WHEN you want to radio to be available... always or with acc. on only

I have always found it best to futz around with it before installing it fully - get a speaker hooked up, ground the radio and then test the power source you've selected to see when/how it works... an aux. wire with an alligator clip comes in handy here JUST in case you have an issue and need to disconnect quickly..

Keep in mind you'll need a wire that has +12 on it at all times in modern radios so it doesn't "forget" settings. You'll still need the switched +12V too. Unlike the factory units, 'most any car radio made in the last 35 years or so has "floating" speaker outputs, ie-don't ground them or you'll damage the receiver.

Right th
Keep in mind you'll need a wire that has +12 on it at all times in modern radios so it doesn't "forget" settings. You'll still need the switched +12V too. Unlike the factory units, 'most any car radio made in the last 35 years or so has "floating" speaker outputs, ie-don't ground them or you'll damage the receiver.
. Right that's why I'm trying to figure out what would be a good constant wire to use from the dash harness. I figured I'd use the red from the original radio power source for the acc power but kinda lost on the continuous power source atm

Right th
. Right that's why I'm trying to figure out what would be a good constant wire to use from the dash harness. I figured I'd use the red from the original radio power source for the acc power but kinda lost on the continuous power source atm
But I'm also not sure if that would work either lol pretty lost on this one

Restoring a 67 cuda and decided to go with a retro fit radio and was wondering if I could get some advice. Having trouble on what wires I should use
Here's what I am doing. Way cheaper than one of those retro look radios. I made it so you can input your AM factory radio into it and it will play through your rear speakers. You could also just mount this box under your package tray, run 12 volts to it, connect your speakers and play your music from your phone via Bluetooth. Check out the thread below.

The Golden Age Of Wireless

Last edited:
I used the 2 factory ( red and orange ) for power at switch on and lighting. I tapped the dome lamp circuit ( yellow wire ) for the memory. I set the ground cable off regularly so the memory wire was pretty much a waste of time.

DeMonDIN  02.JPG

You can always run your constant power off of the supplied extra spade connections located under the rear cover of the fusebox!!

You can always run your constant power off of the supplied extra spade connections located under the rear cover of the fusebox!!

Those extra male spades are on the line in or unfused side of the box. Only there because that's how a length of the buss bar was formed.

How did you do this dash (radio / Heater ) arrangement?
First I designed a metal support plate to work with every year model rally dash and climate controller.
Then I modified OEM bezel(s) before shipping off for re-chrome.
In a more perfect world, the aftermarket heat a/c kit mfgrs ( like Vintage Air ) would have made their control panel sized to fit here. Can't win them all.

-
Back