At my wit's end

-
I haven't done the valve lash adjustment yet. I was trying to get the car running at least decently first. Plan is to do it this coming weekend.

I haven't done the valve lash adjustment yet. I was trying to get the car running at least decently first. Plan is to do it this coming weekend.

It would be a good idea because if any valves are tight you CAN'T get it to run decently.

Very true, but up to this point it has either been running decently or not at all. I've set aside some time this weekend to do the valve adjustment. Hopefully I don't just make it worse. Next few weekends are going to be swallowed by work so I need to get as much done as I can this weekend.

Just took it for a decent drive and it held up great. We filled the tank and saw to our horror a huge puddle of fuel below the fuel tank. From what I could see where the filler neck meets the tank it is loose or not connected right. Couldn't see if the filler neck is a solid pipe from the filler to the tank or if there is a rubber type hose between the two. I'm going to get under the car when I get home tomorrow night and see what I can see. I know the seller replaced the tank so I am guessing that they just didn't seat it right.

Did the valve adjustment this weekend as well as replacing the HEI module with a better quality one. Car has noticeably more throttle response and power. Biggest thing now is the nasty exhaust fumes it seems to be putting out. Pretty sure it is the fuel mixture at this point. Biggest pain of the valve adjustment was getting the cover off. With A/C and the heater hoses it made it darn near impossible to get it off/on without trouble. Took it on the freeway again the other night to see how it handled at higher speeds. The car seems to like the higher RPM ranges. It handled the speed ok, but it feels like the tires might not be balanced right as there was a bit of wobble here and there. I'll be taking it on a longer freeway drive on Wens. as I take it to work.

Did the valve adjustment this weekend as well as replacing the HEI module with a better quality one. Car has noticeably more throttle response and power. Biggest thing now is the nasty exhaust fumes it seems to be putting out. Pretty sure it is the fuel mixture at this point. Biggest pain of the valve adjustment was getting the cover off. With A/C and the heater hoses it made it darn near impossible to get it off/on without trouble. Took it on the freeway again the other night to see how it handled at higher speeds. The car seems to like the higher RPM ranges. It handled the speed ok, but it feels like the tires might not be balanced right as there was a bit of wobble here and there. I'll be taking it on a longer freeway drive on Wens. as I take it to work.
Your bushings are probably shot unless someone did em recently. Old cars are notorious for the rubber bits rotting and those are the worst about it.

Not sure where you are with this now and I didn't read through page 2 of the thread. I was having the same trouble when I first got mine running- rebuilt the carb, changed everything in and on the distributor. None of that helped at all. Trouble with idle, no power, couldn't keep it timed, kept dying.

I was thinking timing chain but then thought I'd pull the distributor and check the weights and springs. The grease on the weights was like sticky tar. They were sometimes swinging out and sticking or not coming out at all or returning halfway, whatever it felt like. I took it all apart and cleaned and re-greased and it was like I'd installed a new engine. It has run perfect ever since.

May not be your problem but worth considering if even just for smooth and reliable driving if it's a 40 year old distributor.

Well I took the Dart to work today so I could take it to the local AAA office and get the registration finished up. Car drove pretty well on the freeway at 65-70 mph. Car used a lot of gas and the fumes were pretty bad. I'll be adjusting the fuel/air mix either sunday or next week. Into a long stretch at work so it is going to have to wait until I have some time to relax.

-
Back