At track. 1/8 mile Any ET guesses?

-
This is good info thank you!!
Remember, the perfectly tuned carbureted car on that 60* morning will not be perfectly tuned at 3 in the afternoon when the temp reaches that high of 85*.

Remember, the perfectly tuned carbureted car on that 60* morning will not be perfectly tuned at 3 in the afternoon when the temp reaches that high of 85*.
That is where setting a baseline comes in imo. Finding the perfect medium between the two. Because like Iv said i want a dependable drive something I can drive when its 30 or 90 rain or shine. Without worrying about overheating or whatever. Even if I give up 4 tenths on my et.

That is where setting a baseline comes in imo. Finding the perfect medium between the two. Because like Iv said i want a dependable drive something I can drive when its 30 or 90 rain or shine. Without worrying about overheating or whatever. Even if I give up 4 tenths on my et.
you may give up 4 tenths because you, as I have, chose a highway gear. Might even give up another 3 tenths from a good converter. However, don't give up any ET from the tune.

Later on I plan on upgrading my carb when alot of other the other things are done but for now I'm gonna run the Holley 600 and see what she does.

No and he found out the hard way.

Hey "blowhard",ANY shaft stock or HARDENED would of snapped because the pick-up screen came apart and pieces of the metal got jammed in the oil pump and seized it..know what really happened before shooting off your mouth:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:..

I guess I skipped an important question as well. What rpm did you shift at? Sometimes if the kickdown isn't adjusted properly, it can shift way too early and never allow it to get in the rpm's it needs.

P.S. - what cam is in it?

Where are you located? I'm in the Concord area, you could always cruise by the shop and we could give her a little look over, be glad to help!
I'm not too far from Concord around two hours. I really appreciate that. I will keep you in mind. I have been thinking about trying to get started a a little east coast fabo club that could join once or twice a year and hang out and cruise or whatever. There is quite a few of us within a couple hours drive of each other.

Tires are 215/65r15. Not sure of what the rpm was when it shifted. I let the car do the shifting. Im almost positive I didn't get to 3rd.

IMG_0732.PNG

You will know when you have your tune-up wright when the difference between your 330 time and your ET remains constant, or at least very close ( et - 330 = some number ) through out the course of the day examples: ( 6.9850 - 4.4581 = 2.527, time 1:56 pm ), ( 6.9409 - 4.4120 = 2.528, time 2:50 pm ), ( 7.0127 - 4.4300 = 2.582, time 4:01 pm ), ( 6.988 - 4.458 = 2.530, time 5:11 pm ).

Tires are 215/65r15. Not sure of what the rpm was when it shifted. I let the car do the shifting. Im almost positive I didn't get to 3rd.

View attachment 1715316135
Same cam I have in my 318. Nice cam for your gears and engine. I'd be shifting it around 5200 rpm's for starter, and see how it likes it. If it's short shifting, say at 3800 rpm's, she'll roll over and die.
To give you an idea, my 318 with the same cam, no headers, 2.76's ran 74 mph in the 1/8.

Do you have a timing light? If not, I'd make that a priority.
Here is a short video I made on timing, and making marks to see total timing.

So carb adjustments are just kind of make an adjustment and test it out? Other than plugs are there any tell tell signs of lean or rich?

When jetting carb, watch mph on your slip, that indicates power, add jet one step at a time until mph falls off, back up to jetting where mph was highest; now go back and see if engine wants more timing. When tuning, only do 1 thing at a time, that way you can keep track of your results. Keep a note book, write everything down.

When jetting carb, watch mph on your slip, that indicates power, add jet one step at a time until mph falls off, back up to jetting where mph was highest; now go back and see if engine wants more timing. When tuning, only do 1 thing at a time, that way you can keep track of your results. Keep a note book, write everything down.
So basically you need to make these adjustments at the track?

So basically you need to make these adjustments at the track?

The track is helpful because you have feed back to what you are doing; you could do second gear time trials over a stretch of road, pick two spots, start/finish, gauge your progress. Track is also nice as you are not likely to get a speeding ticket.

The track is helpful because you have feed back to what you are doing; you could do second gear time trials over a stretch of road, pick two spots, start/finish, gauge your progress. Track is also nice as you are not likely to get a speeding ticket.
I was gonna say that but I dont support street racing lol

Do you have a timing light? If not, I'd make that a priority.
Here is a short video I made on timing, and making marks to see total timing.

Thanks that is very helpful. Iv watched a dozen videos explaining timing and noone has explained it better in under 5 mins lol

That is very respectable for first time out. Hope you enjoyed. Many folks make the mistake of throwing money at their car or unnecessarily changing setup to gain a few tenths. Been their & learned.
My 65 cuda had a much stouter engine, better gears, etc. than your current setup.
First time out i ran a 10.56 @ 72 mph spinning all the way down track. Knewi had potential as mph was decent considering.
Before i toasted trans 2 yrs. later had got down to a best of 8.12 @ 86mph with no changes except
*good solid tune to include pertronix kit & FBO limiter plate in
distributor. SB’s love initial.
*learned to drive, walked car off line then punched.
*800 cfm eddy carb.(probably to big for you but mopar SB’s love
CFM’s contrary to what some folks say
*Ditched the factory kickdown linkage & accelerator cables with
Lokar. Factory stuff is sloppy on a good day.
*Dropped rear tire air pressure to 15 lbs for track
*Ran with 1/4 tank of fuel or less & dropped weight on cuda
as much as possible. ( removed spare tire, jack, any bs in
glovebox, used synthetic fluids)

Most of it was me getting better as driver but for under $600 gained
over 2 sec. & loved the challenge.

Good luck, enjoy & like others have posted we are here to help.

-
Back