Atco Closed

-

9C12244C-0268-44FE-8748-808958F97587.jpeg

7DF95CC1-40EA-4B65-BE3B-3A2C8AD1ED4E.jpeg

Ok here’s an update. The track’s website may have been hacked. Fingers crossed it’s not closing. I’m not sure what people get out of this but it’s happening more and more.

C16854DA-7B7C-404C-A2BC-DA09F9E543C4.jpeg

May not be an azz clown but we can only hope. Never been there and probably never will be but I Dont want to see any track close.

website was not hacked. track was sold. the owner has been trying to sell for a few years now. latest rumor is they are going to put up an amazon type of warehouse. new owners have no interest in keeping it a drag strip.

website was not hacked. track was sold. the owner has been trying to sell for a few years now. latest rumor is they are going to put up an amazon type of warehouse. new owners have no interest in keeping it a drag strip.
You still able to ride dirt bikes at my old riding grounds, the pines.
You and I talked about it a few years ago.

You still able to ride dirt bikes at my old riding grounds, the pines.
You and I talked about it a few years ago.

not unless its a street legal bike. eventhen the pines have a bunch of restricted areas now.. way too north jersey /NY people come dowm and ride on illeagal bikes and ruin it for the locals. too many locals post on social media where they ride. they should keep that **** to themselves.

That's the same rumor that was going around about Bandimre. ended up not being true.

That's the same rumor that was going around about Bandimre. ended up not being true.

its been common knowlege that the owner has been trying to sell for years. had it sold to a copart place and the pineland commission shot that use down so the sale fell through. why knows what its going to be.

I have gone to ATCO Raceway for almost 40 years. I liked it much better than E-Town, roughly the same distance for me, but a much nicer area. I guess closing its doors was inevitable. Sorry to see it closed down. Maybe it will still be a racetrack if it was sold. I just hope they don't put up a giant warehouse or even worse, a bunch of housing. I think it is in the protected N.J. Pine Barrens, so it may be protected from **** like that happening, but now a days, money REALLY talks & whoever bought the land, might be able to do as they please. SAD!

CBS Philadelphia
CBS Philadelphia

Follow

Atco Dragway in South Jersey permanently closes after 63 years​

Story by Tom Ignudo • Yesterday 10:33 PM

1689765551523.png

ATCO, N.J. (CBS) -- After operating for 63 years, Atco Dragway in Camden County permanently closed Tuesday.
All of the remaining events for 2023 have been canceled.
"Atco Dragway is permanently closed. We will not be open from this point on. The remainder of our schedule for 2023 will be canceled, the dragway wrote in a Facebook post. "Thank you all for your patronage and memories over the years. Special thank you to our 29th annual Pan American Nationals racers & crowd for making Atco Dragway's last event the biggest and best one ever. This isn't the end for import racing in the northeast! To all of our staff, we thank you from the bottom of our hearts for sticking it out with us and being the best in the business!"
Atco was built in 1959, but the track didn't open until Memorial Day Weekend in 1960. It was the oldest drag strip in New Jersey.
The track was sanctioned by the National Hot Rod Association, the largest sanctioning body in drag racing.
Atco held over 265 events in one year, which made it one of the busiest tracks in the United States.

From what I've been reading it is true that Atco is closed for good. Lenny Capone the owner sold to an unknown source. Apparently was offered $8 mil from someone who wanted to keep it a race track but turned down that offer. Not sure if he got more from another person or if he didn't want it to be a race track anymore.

People are a big part of the problem. This dirt track has been here longer than I remember and have always held this sprint car race in a Tuesday night. If you Dont like airports Dont move next to one. Same with race tracks.

CF4CB96C-C203-4A58-A5F1-16E167074BA3.jpeg

People are a big part of the problem. This dirt track has been here longer than I remember and have always held this sprint car race in a Tuesday night. If you Dont like airports Dont move next to one. Same with race tracks.

View attachment 1716116659
atco closing has nothing to do with the people of the area. they actually love it. the owner has wanted to sell for a few years now and i guess he found a buyer.

From what I've been reading it is true that Atco is closed for good. Lenny Capone the owner sold to an unknown source. Apparently was offered $8 mil from someone who wanted to keep it a race track but turned down that offer. Not sure if he got more from another person or if he didn't want it to be a race track anymore.

he had it sold for quite a bit more then that like 2 years ago. it was going to be a copart storage lot. pineland commission wouldn't allow it. rumor is they will build a huge amazon style warehouse there now. time will tell if thats true i guess. I'm sure he got quite a bit more then the 8 million the racers offered.

I hate to say it but, no one goes really at Maple Grove except racers the stands are bare except for big events. I'm not sure if the owners are profiting. There isn't a spectator crowd week to week where there used to be. It was always fun to hang out on a Friday or Saturday and watch the local people run their cars. Maybe its because cars these days suck and no one is into it I dont knoe. I was at a restaurant with the wife we walked past two cars same color I said "look one is a Buick the other a Mazda and they look like the same car..."

Grass roots drag racing is dying. I have raced at Atco, Englishtown, Strato rods, Atlantic City, and Island Dragway in NJ used to be my home track. As far as I know Island Dragway is the only NJ dragstrip still operating. Over the years I have raced at over 50 different drag strips. Most of them are now gone. Back in the old days you could go to the track and get just about as many time shots as you wanted, then go into eliminations. Now on race day you only get 1 or 2 time shots before eliminations. Spectators are nonexistent. The younger generation doesn't seem to have the interest in cars that us oldsters had/have, and we are dying off.
PS: Over the years I have raced cars that went as slow as 20 sec 1/4 mile, and as quick as 9 sec 1/4 mile.

The younger generation doesn't seem to have the interest in cars

thats not true. pan am day at atco was packed. 90% young people. way more attendance then any muscle car events. hell they were lined up for a mile on jackson rd to get in.

Yes big events draw a crowd but the in between local stuff not so much...that used t be a staple the in between weekly racing IMO. so what do they do? charge double or triple to the racers? its a tough call but if they all close it will end up back on the street like the old days...

5,000 SEAT GRAND STANDS IN NJ -

COMPLETE BLEACHER SETUP ONLY*

***We did not buy the track, we are selling the bleachers for the owner***

Brand: Southern Bleacher Company

Condition: Used

Notes: Buyer will need to promptly disassemble and remove. Don't miss this opportunity to save big!

1459 seats, installed new in 2007, consists of:

· 1398 Seats 18"

· 14 Wheelchair spaces 33"

· 24 Tower Seats

· 1 Tower Wheelchair space

· 21 Suite Box Seats

· 1 Suite Box Wheelchair Space.

· Elevator for wheelchair access

Seating Layout: 8" Rise x 24" Tread / 12 Rows

3076 seats 18" installed new 1998

294' x 19 ROWS, 24" Tread

We have all original plans

New Replacement value 2.5 million installed

Buyer must remove promptly

Will consider partial sale, contact us for a high resolution copy of the prints. See less

930C457E-F6AD-4C57-B113-06D253E5E40A.jpeg

-
Back