ATCO RACEWAY MAY BE GONE

-

mopar jimmie

Mopar Jimmie
Reaction score
HI EVERYONE , I RECEIVED THE NEWS LAST NITE THAT ATCO DRAGWAY IS IN THE PROCESS OF BEING SOLD TO BECOME AN AUTO AUCTION AND STORAGE YARD . THIS IS QUITE SAD TO SEE ANOTHER DRAG STRIP BEING CLOSED AND A PILLAR TO THE CAR COMMUNITY IN SOUTH JERSEY BEING LOST , ITS NOT OVER YET BECAUSE THE STATE NEEDS TO APPROVE THIS USE OF LAND BUT ITS NOT LOOKING GOOD FOR ATCO . ITS CURRENT OWNER SEEMS TO BE HAVING A TIUGH GO OF IT AND SEEMS TO BE BAILING OUT . THE PREVIOUS OWNER JOE SWAY REALLY DID A GREAT JOB OF RUNNING ATCO AND MADE IT THE PLACE TO RACE FOR ALOT YEARS . I MADE MANY TRIPS DOWN THAT TRACK AND CHERISH ITS MEMORYS

Last edited:
Probably following E-towns lead. More money to be made doing something else.

I remember when they closed LACR dragstrip in palmdale,ca. We would go every friday night and watch everyone race. We lived so close on saturday mornings id sit in my bedroom window and listen to the top fuel races counting the seconds if each race. Every now and then the wind would blow the right direction and you get a whif of that sweet nitro smell. Unfortunatly they were leased the land by a quarry and when it came time to dig they closed. Now its just a crap ton of street racing on the strees of "old mexico".

HI EVERYONE , I RECEIVED THE NEWS LAST NITE THAT ATCO DRAGWAY IS IN THE PROCESS OF BEING SOLD TO BECOME AN AUTO AUCTION AND STORAGE YARD . THIS IS QUITE SAD TO SEE ANOTHER DRAG STRIP BEING CLOSED AND A PILLAR TO THE CAR COMMUNITY IN SOUTH JERSEY BEING LOST , ITS NOT OVER YET BECAUSE THE STATE NEEDS TO APPROVE THIS USE OF LAND BUT ITS NOT LOOKING GOOD FOR ATCO . ITS CURRENT OWNER SEEMS TO BE HAVING A TIUGH GO OF IT AND SEEMS TO BE BAILING OUT . THE PREVIOUS OWNER JOE SWAY REALLY DID A GREAT JOB OF RUNNING ATCO AND MADE IT THE PLACE TO RACE FOR ALOT YEARS . I MADE MANY TRIPS DOWN THAT TRACK AND CHERISH ITS MEMORYS
Raced there probably 20 times over the years, all motorcycle when “prostar” had there events. Always had a good time. NED is my home track, still going strong. Hopefully for a while yet...swingn’

Raced there probably 20 times over the years, all motorcycle when “prostar” had there events. Always had a good time. NED is my home track, still going strong. Hopefully for a while yet...swingn’

Hello Swingn’71.
Ahhhhh "Prostar" (IDBA)
Racing on the "Tour" with the best of the best...
The stories and memories of weekends at the tracks, bars and hotels across the USA with the Prostar / IDBA family I will always treasure.
Elmer Trett
Larry "the spider man" Mcbride
Jim "the judge" Mclure
Marty Blades
Bob Spina
Dave Schultz
Paul Gast
Byron Hines
Terry Vance
John Myers
Bob Carpenter
George and Jackie Bryce
Pizza John Mafaro
The crew from OE
Jack O'Malley, Skip, Joey, Terry.
Just to name a few.
Stay safe......
Happy Mopar :)
Arron.
Jack Omailly OE.jpg

Another one of my dad and uncles tracks closing ?
That sucks I spent a lot of time at ATCO and E Town with my dad in the late 60's and 70's.
Pretty much where it all started for us, now it will be gone too.
They already developed the lands we use to ride our dirt bikes.

Hello Swingn’71.
Ahhhhh "Prostar" (IDBA)
Racing on the "Tour" with the best of the best...
The stories and memories of weekends at the tracks, bars and hotels across the USA with the Prostar / IDBA family I will always treasure.
Elmer Trett
Larry "the spider man" Mcbride
Jim "the judge" Mclure
Marty Blades
Bob Spina
Dave Schultz
Paul Gast
Byron Hines
Terry Vance
John Myers
Bob Carpenter
George and Jackie Bryce
Pizza John Mafaro
The crew from OE
Jack O'Malley, Skip, Joey, Terry.
Just to name a few.
Stay safe......
Arron.
View attachment 1715550664
Dave Schultz was the forerunner of Pro Drag bike class , shame we lost him

We'll all be outlaws before long.

Island dragway was my home track, back in the day. But I did race at Englishtown, Atco, Stratorods at McGuire Air Force Base. Also Atlantic City Raceway, once. Raced at so many tracks, in so many states, over so many years, that now just history

Dave Schultz was the forerunner of Pro Drag bike class , shame we lost him

Hello Mopar Jimmie,
Dave was a tough as nails racer and an pioneer in regard to integrating new technologically into the sport.
He raced part of a season with casts on both arms from a fall off the roof of his race trailer at home.
Dave and his wife Meredith were instrumental in starting the Sunday morning prayer service at the tracks.
RIP Dave (and Brian).
Stay Safe......
Arron.
IMG_7516.JPG

Last edited:
-
Back