ax15 ?

-

turbomopar

Reaction score
Anybody have any pics or info on the hydraulic clutch set UPS the original Dakota master is angled where it bolt a to firewall

Nope they come in Dakotas the one I have it's pu out of a 98 Dakota I'm going to put it in my 73 duster

How to set up the hydraulic clutch on the ax15 5 speed that I'm going to put in my duster. Maybe a aftermarket master cylinder or just fabrication?

How to set up the hydraulic clutch on the ax15 5 speed that I'm going to put in my duster. Maybe a aftermarket master cylinder or just fabrication?

well if you figure out what the bore is on the stock dak master then just find one that is has the same bore. some are angled and some come right out like the brake master.

Ok thanks that makes since. I also have to figure out how to connect master to stock pedals and how long to make rod on pedal. And stuff like that so if anyone has done this swap any info would be helpful thanks.

Can you post a pic of the AX15 and list the gear ratios?

I found a 96 and down 5.2 5 speed truck at a u-pull, and they said $175 for trans, clutch, linkage, everything complete.

Hyro clutch m/c appeared to be mounted straight on that one.

Also interested in any trans mount and crossmember mods that may be necessary.

Ok thanks that makes since. I also have to figure out how to connect master to stock pedals and how long to make rod on pedal. And stuff like that so if anyone has done this swap any info would be helpful thanks.

Do a search of the forums with "ax15". You'll find almost everything you need.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=245967&highlight=ax15

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=213549&highlight=ax15

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=238690&highlight=ax15

Lots more.

Greg

I have an ax15 in my dart, built everything myself. There is a lot of fab work involved including cutting a lot out of the floor.
I used an s10 master cylinder along with the factory dodge pedals. I used the stock Dakota slave cylinder at first but it wouldn't release the clutch enough. I had to change to a slave from a cummins truck, it works great.
So far, it's been a reliable transmission for cheap.

Can you post a pic of the AX15 and list the gear ratios?

I found a 96 and down 5.2 5 speed truck at a u-pull, and they said $175 for trans, clutch, linkage, everything complete.

Hyro clutch m/c appeared to be mounted straight on that one.

Also interested in any trans mount and crossmember mods that may be necessary.
gear ratios are 3.83, 2.33, 1.44, 1.00, 0.79

Attachments

• IMG_20131117_125545_256.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 988
I have an ax15 in my dart, built everything myself. There is a lot of fab work involved including cutting a lot out of the floor.
I used an s10 master cylinder along with the factory dodge pedals. I used the stock Dakota slave cylinder at first but it wouldn't release the clutch enough. I had to change to a slave from a cummins truck, it works great.
So far, it's been a reliable transmission for cheap.
Thanks for the info what year Trans do you have?

Got this setup also and DO HAVE PICS!!
Pic of the shifter location using the shifter handle out of a 96 Dakota
vbpgimage.php

pic of the 5spd installed
vbpgimage.php

The trany mount is somewhat crude but works for me, still in the process of making a better one!
vbpgimage.php

Used the stock slave cylinder from the Dakota
vbpgimage.php

and replaced the cable for the e brake to install the clutch master cylinder that I got out of a late 80s f250.
vbpgimage.php

Did require some fab work and what I did was move the engine forward 1 inch by modifying the motor mounts and cutting only half of the torsion bar crossmember where the trany fits in , not completely because I didn't want to mess up the structural integrity of it. Other guys that did this setup did it a lot better than mine but I just did it this way. Cut the hole for the shifter and made a bulky goofy trany mount that I had no problems with even tho I beat the hell out of it for 2 years now.

4 cylinders got the AX-5, as i said the 4.0 jeep is the only one i know of that got the 15's

Actually the AX5 was only found in 4 Cylinder Jeeps, you won't find it in a Dakota because it was never offered in one.

The AX15 was found in the 2.5L Dakotas and 3.9L Dakotas, and apparently the 4.0L Jeeps.

Actually the AX5 was only found in 4 Cylinder Jeeps, you won't find it in a Dakota because it was never offered in one.

The AX15 was found in the 2.5L Dakotas and 3.9L Dakotas, and apparently the 4.0L Jeeps.

interesting! never knew they would put the 2.5L in the daks, thats insane... I work mostly on the jeep side so the 15 is a 4.0L only. goo to know on the 15 in the dak behind the 2.5

interesting! never knew they would put the 2.5L in the daks, thats insane... I work mostly on the jeep side so the 15 is a 4.0L only. goo to know on the 15 in the dak behind the 2.5

It gets worse

Not only did they stick a 2.5L in the Dakotas, but for a few years they also had an AMC 2.5L in them :wack:

I can grab some pics this evening. My setup has the engine in the stock location with stock pedals. I made the shift handle from some motorcycle handlebars and an old motorcycle piston.

Thanks schwinger for the pics if you don't mind can you post one from under the dash to see the pedals and stuff?

My clutch pedal setup is not that great looking, and mine was not a manual car to begin with. I wanted to install a stock clutch pedal setup but everybody at the time wanted an arm and a leg for it soo I just went to the junk yard and found a clutch pedal out of a vw golf mark 3 and made it work. Its obviously not professional but worked out for me and after 2 years its still holding up even after a lot of abuse! There are several other members that used the stock clutch style setup with better results, I just went my way because I was on a budget but hear are the pics of it.
vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

Bad thing tho the E brake is removed which I have no E brake which im gonna set that up pretty soon! Just giving you an idea on my setup but I would LIke to see some pics of kenneygene's setup!

-
Back