Battery options BESIDES Optima?

-
Well to be honest there really is only 4 or 5 major battery manufacturers in the world. Everyone just buys them and puts their own name on them. Johnson Controls is the largest of them all. If I remember correctly, my Interstate dealer told me that Johnson Controls makes their batteries and the gelcell's they sell.

Now the shop truck we had was a beater that had to start and work all the time for us. It was our parts getter, plow truck, etc... We ended up buying a gelcell from Interstate for it back in 2006 and have had no problems with it. I'm not sure about charging it and what the procedure is but it has survived being charged by the stock charging system in a 94 chebby 2500 pickup.

I have had 2 ODYSSEY Batteries , in my Race cars and they are suppose to be the best...NOT!! They are the worst had one short out and it was warranted. They told me I needed to use their charger, so I spent $180 on a battery charger and the new one I got would not hold a charge either. I have Optima now with no problems.

I have a old part store battery that came with my Duster back in 05 when I bought it. I swear you can't kill that thing...I've left it on the ground for weeks, sitting in cars for months....Throw it on the charger for a bit and bam! Good as new....Still using it in our portable diesel air compressor trailer...God its ugly with over spray, etc on it....Anyway, figured I would buy another one for use around the shop...Nope...Craptastic...Never would hold up...Tried 3 different batteries from 3 different stores with good dates on them...verified water was ok and charging correctly....Just crap batteries....They may say they didn't change manufacturing...But you can't explain that....I have 2 Redtop Optima's in my Daily Drivers and have never had an issue yet in 5 years... 1 is a 70's Mopar charging system and the other is a 80's Chevy charging system.

Ed,I love lead.... I run a lead battery,now. It's five years old,I actually trickle charge it... Group 27. So chill,and enjoy the ride.

I run all lead to lol. I think were having a tone issue as im asking a question, not making a statement. im wondering why this seems to be a hitch as they never to have an issue

FWIW I plan on using a sealed battery hidden in the passenger compartment and plan to use a couple of small sealed agm dyna-batt style "hot rod" batteries. These are essentially motorcycle batteries, but I want a slim profile. I found an interesting (possibley over-detailed) page about it by a guy customizing his dodge stealth:

http://www.stealth316.com/2-dynabatt.htm

http://www.stealth316.com/2-battery-move.htm

Well to be honest there really is only 4 or 5 major battery manufacturers in the world. Everyone just buys them and puts their own name on them. Johnson Controls is the largest of them all..

I "kinda" knew that, LOL. "In a previous life" I sold auto parts for about 17 years. I've sold Autolite, Delco, Western, Standard, and a couple of other "brands" I've forgotten about

I used to joke with customers to forget what the warranty says, "pick it up and buy by the weight."

One day the hated new owner of my Dad's store (ran right out of business) ordered several "Standard" G24 50 month batteries. Standard sent the cheap ones, which are considerably lighter. He called them on the phone, there solution? Send out the longer warrantee stickers. I tried to explain to the J.A. that putting a warrantee sticker on a battery didn't make it a better battery, but he wasn't that smart.

I "kinda" knew that, LOL. "In a previous life" I sold auto parts for about 17 years. I've sold Autolite, Delco, Western, Standard, and a couple of other "brands" I've forgotten about

I used to joke with customers to forget what the warranty says, "pick it up and buy by the weight."

One day the hated new owner of my Dad's store (ran right out of business) ordered several "Standard" G24 50 month batteries. Standard sent the cheap ones, which are considerably lighter. He called them on the phone, there solution? Send out the longer warrantee stickers. I tried to explain to the J.A. that putting a warrantee sticker on a battery didn't make it a better battery, but he wasn't that smart.

you are definitely right about the warranty. The more expensive usually means just a better warranty. your also right about the true test for quality lead-acid batteries are the weight. The heavier they are usually means the more lead in them.

Why on earth would you do that?

Vanity.

Instead of simply relocating the battery to the trunk, I am hiding the batteries under the false floor in area between the trunk and the rear seat my fb barracuda.

I plan to have street rod style upholstery in the trunk and do not want to see a battery box. Underhood clean, trunk clean.

and illegal in some states to have hidden compartments lol

hehehe

and illegal in some states to have hidden compartments lol

so I guess were all breaking the law then :tongue5:. Every vehicle has hidden compartments. I guess it's whether or not use utilize them to hide illegal stuff that makes them illegal to have.

Vanity.

Instead of simply relocating the battery to the trunk, I am hiding the batteries under the false floor in area between the trunk and the rear seat my fb barracuda.

I plan to have street rod style upholstery in the trunk and do not want to see a battery box. Underhood clean, trunk clean.

hehehe

I'm referring more to possible danger............depending on how you do this, you could be building a bomb. Batteries DO occasionally explode. I myself was nearby for one that still defies some explanation, "read on."

This happened in my small garage, with the door open, on a 30's -- 40's F winter day. I had a Pontiac, belonging to someone, which I was doing some minor work on. I had an unrelated starter which I'd had apart, forgotten.......replaced the solenoid maybe.

So I wanted a "quick check" that the starter worked.

So I hooked my jumpers to the Pontiac battery. Bear in mind the engine and battery were cold, and it was not on the charger. This means the battery should not have been gassing any hydrogen

Down on the floor, some feet away, I have the starter "underfoot." I hook one cable to the starter ground, hook the other to the solenoid, and jumper it.

BANG!!!!! We have parts of battery, and battery acid........on the ceiling.......on the way down!!!!!!!!!!!

I had to get the hose on a cold winter day, wash the car, engine, etc, water all over the garage, which was never designed for this, and of course replace the battery.

No battery, as proved by problems with such things as modern lithium ions, are exempt from problems, fire, and explosion.

Now there HAS been cars made with batteries behind the seat, Jag, etc, MG? and some others. I can guarantee you that if you gather up enough "hippies from the sixties" that eventually you'll find a former vee dub owner that's experienced an "unhandy" battery fail in a bug....under the rear seat.

I was in the auto parts buisness for 20+ years.
Rule of thumb was, white/clear case battery was made by Johnson Controls, if it was a black case, it was made by Exide. No matter what color the top is.
What you paid for the battery from the mfg, was whether you were assuming the warranty or if it was going back on the mfr.
Wal Mart buys it's batteries without a warranty from the mfg.

When I use a new battery, no matter what type, I alway put a 2-amp charge to fully bring the battery up. I was instructed by a battery rep in my younger days, to do this.
I have always had great battery life by doing this.

I currently work for a Heavy equipment company.
Anything that has a vibe unit, comes with Red Top Optima's in it from the factory.
The only time I have to replace one is when they get stolen from the machine. LOL

I found this setup today on an experimental airplane. They are using Odyssey PC680 batteries mounted on their side under the floor. The batteries are only 3 " wide, 7 " tall, and 7" long. They are mounted in series for a 28 volt system. I haven't looked up the specs on the batteries, but they are cranking a 540 cubic inch Lycoming engine with a 10 foot cable run. I was impressed.

Attachments

• 12-18-13 009.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 205
  • 12-18-13 014.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 215
I can guarantee you that if you gather up enough "hippies from the sixties" that eventually you'll find a former vee dub owner that's experienced an "unhandy" battery fail in a bug....under the rear seat.

That might happen when a heavy passenger compresses the seat springs onto the + battery post. I have seen the welding on a few seats.

I built an electric in the early 80's. I used Johnson Controls deep discharge batteries. They were hot for about 6 to 9 months, then performance dropped. I found I could take the weak ones, and use in a normal car without problems, for years.

Thanks for all the info. Hell I might go with one of these yet.

I have a red top Optima in my Dart now for 8 years with now problem. I do DC the positive cable when I park it. Throw the cable on after sometimes 3 months and boom she fires right up. Just giving you my 2 cents.

Well, the best battery I have had between max priced gold flake autozone, a new big yellow optima, factory motorcraft and walmart brand is:

NAPA DP.

Dual Purpose: deep cycle / starting battery.

Most or all gel / acid / glass mat like optima and oddesy require a different charge scheme than a typical lead acid. Generally they require slow, very long duration charge when deep discharged.

My deep cycle / starting battery will (seems to) tolerate anything to the max. Long run time under load with the engine off and still starts engine like a hot battery. Excellent cranking capacity when cold. Recharges easier than agm.
Edit. Sorry I see you are looking for sealed. I dont think the DP is sealed.

Not exactly the question, but for those that avoid lead-acid batteries because of leakage/corrosion concerns, I started putting a Battery Mat under all my batteries. It neutralizes and acid leaks. Cost ~$7/sheet in quantity (ebay), but that is cheaper/simpler than dealing with the inevitable corrosion otherwise. That includes my newer cars w/ plastic battery trays and drain tubes, they still corroded under the battery trays.

I run a red top Optima Battery in my car, actually, its been used in 2 cars, both with HIPO 340 engines...never let me down.....and get this, the battery is atleast 15 years old or more...and still going strong. I read an old thread about these where the first ones were made in Colorado....I paid $70 for mine....I wish I had bought more....best damn battery I have ever bought!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• Picture 254.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 193
My first red top I bought 15 years ago was also an awesome battery, bought three more several years ago and they were all crap. So hopefully they have improved since then.

XS Power supposedly makes a good AGM battery I might try one in the dart.

There is a'new' battery being marketed around here that claims 3X life over other batteries. Is this an agm? My battery in my 82 B2000 looks original, im glad i got a new carb and choke on that thing because she'll only crank for about 10 seconds! Gets a little scary when shes hot soaked. Battery buddy told me optima batteries need to remain above 9v at all cost or they get permanent damage. And why are batteries not rebuildable? New plates, new acid, new gasket, trickle charge... done?

When "Western batteries" was in Spokane, we used to get stuff re-worked all the time. I haven't even LOOKED at a truck/ equipment battery in years, but back then they were all "tar top.

We used to have all kinds of special stuff done...........

12V batteries with a 6V tap for conversions.........

1 extra cell for operating 12V equipment direct off batteries

and of course having one or two bad cells rebuilt on a battery that wasn't very old.

I run blem batteries in everything.I have a friend in battery business that lives on next road over from me. These are rebuilt and may not look as nice as a new one but last just as long. I can call him and tell him to bring whatever I need. I got a backhoe battery last week which is a group 31 and cost $45.00. Group 27 are now $32.50 where I was paying $25.00. I have got gel batteries for my brother to put in his boat.

-
Back