BBMopar's 73 Dart Swinger

-

BigBlockMopar28

Reaction score
Hey guys. Let me introduce you to my first build. 1973 Dodge Dart Swinger. Was a street driven and factory /6 car, until the guy I got it from converted it to a race car. Full roll cage, frame ties, and a few other goodies are still with the car. I wouldn't quite call this a "restoration", because it's not going back to an orginal form at all. Will have a 400bb, with a .509 purple shaft cam, ported m1 intake, 4 barrel 650 or 750, and aluminum heads. 727 trans w/ reverse valve body and manual shifter. I plan to make this a street/ strip hot rod. I plan on keeping the cage in the car aswell.

I'm also going to use this as a thread to drop some questions as I go along, because this is my first build. First time messing with anything on my own lol. So far, I've done some painting on the k frame, floors, and trunk. Removed the old 7 1/4 rear end and I'm in the process of rebuilding an 8 3/4. I have a 4 door /6 car to strip from. Complete running car with a rotting rear end. Not letting me post pics but I will soon.

20160726_204213.jpg

Welcome and good luck with your build. Plenty of help (and opinions) here. Looks like a good project. My first suggestion would be get some support under the center section as well. Get the heavy duty Jack Stands, they are on sale regularly.

I'm in the final stages of a 383/Scamp, street/strip project. Not an easy task but doable. Remember, anyone can push a gas pedal down. It's stopping and turning that get you home. It is almost impossible to overbuild the brakes and suspension . BTW, I powdercoated my suspension, looks killer and no rust issues. I'd be glad to help.

welcome to the beak club. ask away

Cleaned out my 8 3/4 housing and removed my front drums, spindles, and backing plates. Gonna clean up and paint my uppers and lower while I'm at it.

Alright guys, I need some opinions. My original plan for this car was a street/ strip build, but lately I've been on the verge of just building dedicated drag car out of it. It already has the cage/ frame ties etc. If i went this route i would be setting the car up for big tires. While I'd love to drive it on the street I feel like it's more practical to build it back to its former glory. Opinions?

Honestly man a car that can be driven on the street is way more fun then one that has to trailered everywhere. Look into your local regs to see what is really need to make it Street legal.

Last edited:
Honestly man a car that can be driven on the street is way more fun then one that has to trailered everywhere. Look into your local regs to see what is really need to make it Street legal.
It isn't hard to legalize the car here in KY. The main issue is that I basically have a shell and it would take a whole lot more time and money to be able get everything I'd need in order to street drive it.

It isn't hard to legalize the car here in KY. The main issue is that I basically have a shell and it would take a whole lot more time and money to be able get everything I'd need in order to street drive it.

You'd be driving it a lot sooner and a lot cheaper though, and only actually get to drive it once in awhile at races.
How hard could it be to slap a driver drivetrain in it and some lights while you work and spend on race parts worth doing it with?

Alright. I've decided to go prostreet. Will also big a big tire car. I'm gonna finish getting everything for the front discs and the I'll focus on the rear end. Inspect the centersection and the true grip unit. I'll decide on wheel and tire size and eventually measure the wheel wells and axle housing and see what needs to be cut.

I agree 100 percent. When I had my 73 big block dart. I built it to run on 93 pump gas and it was a street/strip car. It would run 10.40 in the 1/4 then you could drive it to sonic to get something to eat if you wanted. I look forward to reading more about the op build

Update: I got spindles, caliper brackets, and a proportioning valve for the dart. I'll order my mc, rotors, calipers, etc soon

Update: I now have everything I need for my back brakes (excluding lines). 10in drums (bbp) hardware, adjusters, cylinders, etc. Also got front upper and lower bushings. Should be putting in lots of work this weekend. If all goes well, I'll have the 8 3/4 put back together with brakes and some of the front end rebuilt. Should be able to mount the 8 3/4 in the car aswell.

Another question: Should I find a factory dash or make my own? The one I have is shot so I'll need a new one anyways. I figured with a prostreet application a custom dash would work well. All aftermarket tach/ speedo/ temp gauges and such.

Another question: Should I find a factory dash or make my own? The one I have is shot so I'll need a new one anyways. I figured with a prostreet application a custom dash would work well. All aftermarket tach/ speedo/ temp gauges and such.
probably easier and cheaper to go aftermarket.. the original stuff is getting harder to find in usable shape and a custom piece allows you to make it yours

So here's another question for those who have done both: should I go with a standard or auto trans? the car was a factory /6 floor shift car, and even though the previous owner ran a 727 he kept the standard pedals in the car. while the car will be raced at the track (and the street), both bracket and HU, I feel like a standard would be more fun for the street. I prefer to drive standard, and I'm aware of the fact that an auto is more consistent and generally quicker on the strip, but I'm stumped. What do you guys think? Also, from what I've read on here, I don't have the budget for a 4 speed. What 5 speed would you guys pair with a 400bb? Thanks

I will add that if I entered auto it would be reverse valve body anyways, but still. Can't go wrong with the Ole clutch shifting.

So here's another question for those who have done both: should I go with a standard or auto trans? the car was a factory /6 floor shift car, and even though the previous owner ran a 727 he kept the standard pedals in the car. while the car will be raced at the track (and the street), both bracket and HU, I feel like a standard would be more fun for the street. I prefer to drive standard, and I'm aware of the fact that an auto is more consistent and generally quicker on the strip, but I'm stumped. What do you guys think? Also, from what I've read on here, I don't have the budget for a 4 speed. What 5 speed would you guys pair with a 400bb? Thanks

Well if a 4 speed 833 isn't in your budget, no 5 speed will be or any other standard trans.

An 833 is gonna be your cheapest manual option.

Your only 5 speed options are gonna be either the nv4500 (very heavy truck version that goes for over $1500 USED) or a tko/t5, both are also a grand or more used. Or the t56 6 speed which would be about 1500 to 2000 used unless you get lucky. Plus youll need the bell housing, so add another 400 or more depending on brand

You can get an a body 833 for around 600 give or take. But you'll need a bellhousing. You can sometimes find bb 4 speed car bell housings for as low as 100 bucks. Or you can go sfi for 400+.

-
Back