Beefy Rear End Build Up

-

TheCrazyCheesehead

Reaction score
Alright you crazy people. The Question is that i want to build a rear end that will go under my 69 cuda that will be near bullet proof and money is not a issue but i would like to keep the thing under $3K. My current thoughts are to use the new Detroit Locker Limited Slip with Moser big bolt pattern axels, a new mopar preformace 8 3/4 third member case, I am thinking a set of moser 3.55 or 3.91 gears, unsure if i should just reuse the old axel housing or get a new one. What your guys opinions on this build, i would like to only have to really build it once, and be able to take alot of abuse and horsepower.

Later the crazy cheesehead going all out.

Your choise is this.You will in most situations land up with a 8 3/4 diffy.Not to worry bro,its been behind 440 6 pack and hemi cars for years with automatic trannys.And they put out some big ponies.If you can find a dana like I did from a car or truck and plan on 700hp and more,the dana is the only choise.Mrmopartech

Yup if your going to spend that kind of cash a Dana is the way to go. Otherwise 8-3/4, Good axles, Billet caps, back brace and so on. Add it up and it will cost you as much as the Dana.

You can build either a Dana or an 8 3/4 for approximately the same money, starting from scratch, if you can find a deal on a housing. My choice Dana 60. Put it in and forget about it.

What is the wieght difference between the Dana 60 and a 8 3/4? How are dana 60s for tooling around town?? I do plan to drive this puppy on the street also, just sortive want something that will stand up to punishment.

what about has any body use an 9 1/4" not quite a dana but close. I have one out of a New Yorker with a sure grip and every thing and I figured if I have to cut down a rear end might as well go big the first time the only thing I'm concerned about is the price of custom axles. help guys?! :thumblef:

You should get away cheaper with the 9-1/4 axle, but it is a hassle to do all the workwhen compared to a purchase and bolt in DANA. How much can you do yourself?
That S-60 looks great and the weight difference is a few pounds, but, overall, a joke in time slips. Afterall, your getting a DANA to put the POWER to it right?!

Brand new, with good disc brakes, is about $2400, made to order. Buy a new dana, and forget about needing another one.

-
Back