Bell-housing alignment help

-

WSUTARD

Reaction score
I need some help with my bell-housing alignment. I followed along with some YouTube videos and setup my dial indicator to rotate around the housing and then took measurements, twice. You will see the specifics in the photo below.

What I would like to know is now that I know how much it is off, how do I tell what direction to move it in and by how much?

Here are the readings going clockwise as you look at the bell-housing:
12 o'clock: .0
3 o'clock: +.058
6 o'clock: +.132
9 o'clock: +.084

Vertically I need to go +.066 towards 12 o'clock (up)
Horizontally I need to go +.013 towards 3 o'clock (right)
Together this means I need to move the bell-housing in the upper right direction. I just am unsure how much and in what specific direction.

I am using this Harbor Freight dial indicator that indicates in increments of .001.

bell #s.jpg
dial.jpg

Those are some weird numbers. I think you can buy up to .021" offset dowels. I had a bear of a time doing my son's. I finally removed the dowel pins that were already offset and put in straight ones. Then did the dial in again. Was able to get it to spec then. You never really know what someone else has done in the past. PS I made my own dowel pins from 1/2 rod stock.

Your dial indicator rod needs to be perpendicular to the bore and on center, smaller dial indicator. Your measurements are not accurate.

Your dial indicator rod needs to be perpendicular to the bore and on center, smaller dial indicator. Your measurements are not accurate.
It doesn't have to be perfect, but I think you can get it better than it is.
Also make sure it's running about halfway in the bell opening.
AND before you check it, use some scotch brite and make sure the bellhousing surface is smooth. Rub a little oil on there. A LITTLE. get it nice and slick.
Make sure your magnetic base isn't moving.
Those numbers are way off. Make sure all of the above and check it again.

Yup. It's either measured right or wrong. .......and it ain't right.

You sure there isn't a "good enough" option?

No. He was right. That measurement should be taken as close to perpendicular to the crankshaft center line as possible. Otherwise, your results will be as incorrect as your measurements.

I cannot even believe anyone would have disagreed with his assessment as he was spot on.

good idea, but poor execution.
it is very hard to do this and get perfect numbers. Try this with you mag base and dial indicator: clamp the mag base to a piece of 3in piece of steel roundstock on your workbench: arrange the plunger of the dial indicator so it is placed on the same piece of round stock in line and close to the base as possible, zero the dial. Now, just roll the roundstock over on the edge of a bench, so that the bar is 180 degrees rotated and view the indicator dial, it will have moved. There is no way it should have moved. but it did.
You need to make the setup as light and as rigid as possible. In this situation, I would suggest screwing a stout bolt into the crank flange, and using an indicator clamp and something similar to a Starrett "last word" indicator, sweep the id. Keep everything as short as possible to minimize deflection.

No. He was right. That measurement should be taken as close to perpendicular to the crankshaft center line as possible. Otherwise, your results will be as incorrect as your measurements.

I cannot even believe anyone would have disagreed with his assessment as he was spot on.
It was a joke...

Note the MP picture isn't a "perfect" setup but as close as you can get to perpendicular and center..........

IndicateSet.jpg

Yeah, setup wasn't the greatest. So the numbers are off. Try it again like was mentioned. Especially cleaning the bore and a little oil on it. Ultimately the bell will have to be moved 1/2 the difference of the numbers directly opposite each other. So 12 and 6, take the smaller from the larger, then divide by 2 and that's how far it needs to go in that direction. I plot every 45 degrees. It's easier (I think) to determine the true direction of the adjustment. It's a pita but well worth doing.

Ok. Did it again, got different numbers. First, here is the best I could get the indicator.
IMG_1624.JPG
IMG_1625.JPG

You will notice the second set of numbers
12: 0
3: 41
6: 96
9: 61

Horizontally: need to move 10 towards 3 o'clock.
Vertically: need to move 48 towards 12 o'clock.

Here is my plan, I already have RobbMC .021 offset dowels on the way.
Pointing the offset toward 1:30 would move the vertical and horizontal 10 in the correct direction. Since 5 is the standard allowance I am going to point the dowels toward 12:45 which would give me 15 vertically and 5 horizontally. Thus making my numbers 33 vertical and 5 horizontal.

This is probably "good brought" since I know my numbers are a tad on the high side due to the angles of the indicator and 21 is the largest offset they make. At least I know I am going in the right direction to make it better.

Comments?

better, but it's still not right. You're still using that mag base, and the indicator mounting stud isn't even fully engaged in the clamp. If you're satisfied with the numbers, well then that's all there is to it.

better, but it's still not right. You're still using that mag base, and the indicator mounting stud isn't even fully engaged in the clamp. If you're satisfied with the numbers, well then that's all there is to it.
What do you mean it isn't engaged in the clamp? Everything is tight. That setup doesn't wiggle or wobble when it slides around the opening.

look at your own pic. the mounting stud isn't fully engaged in the clamp. Are you in Seattle? Where abouts? If you want a third set of numbers, I could come by and run it with you.

look at your own pic. the mounting stud isn't fully engaged in the clamp. Are you in Seattle? Where abouts? If you want a third set of numbers, I could come by and run it with you.
Crap, thanks for catching that. I'm in Lake Forest Park.
You might be able to get closer to center....................

View attachment 1715038191
Great idea. I'm going to run it like this.

I still think Im going to need the .021 offsets.

I'll never turn down help! I will PM you.
I reset the indicator, tried a few ways, this seemed to be the best for getting it on center and as close to vertical as possible.

Numbers changed to:
12 - 0
3 - .038 (was 41)
6 - .094 (was 96)
9 - .057 (was 61)

This puts me at:
.0095 towards 3
.047 towards 12

OK, now to break out maths. Using the Pythagorean theorem I can guesstimate how much I am off due to the angle. Based on my rudimentary measurements (no I don't have calipers) the angle is adding about .98mm or .038 inches. Rounding for error in measuring I would cut that in half, so .019 inches.

That makes the measurements:
12 - 0
3 - .019
6 - .075
9 - .038

Putting me at:
.0095 towards 3
.0375 towards 12

All leading to my brain being mush and me sticking with my plan to place the .021 offset at 12:45.
file.jpeg
file1.jpeg
file2.jpeg

IMHO, and I know it will be hated, but that bell housing is JUNK. I have never seen one that far out. I've never even had a Lakewood that far out. I'd bet I have indicated somewhere around a hundred bells and never seen one that bad.

I'd find another one and see if the issue is the bell or the block.

IMHO, and I know it will be hated, but that bell housing is JUNK. I have never seen one that far out. I've never even had a Lakewood that far out. I'd bet I have indicated somewhere around a hundred bells and never seen one that bad.

I'd find another one and see if the issue is the bell or the block.
I wouldn't disagree with you about the bell-housing, but its the one I got! I'm also trying to cut back on the spending so, maybe next time ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

I wouldn't disagree with you about the bell-housing, but its the one I got! I'm also trying to cut back on the spending so, maybe next time ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

You ain't that far from me. I have one sitting here you can try if you want.

Let me know.

FWIW...I never indicated this one. But I doubt it's as bad as what you have.

You ain't that far from me. I have one sitting here you can try if you want.

Let me know.

FWIW...I never indicated this one. But I doubt it's as bad as what you have.
I wouldn't mind trying it out. What city are you in? RustyCowel is going to come over tomorrow to help me out.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind trying it out. What city are you in? RustyCowel is going to come over tomorrow to help me out.

I'm over in Selah. I can UPS it to you if you want. Just so you know...it's ORANGE. I didn't paint it that color.

Let me know.

-
Back