Best Intake/Carb combo

-

Tflash9211

Reaction score
Starting up on my first restoration with my dad (first restoration for both of us), I was just wondering what the best combo of intake and 4barrel carb would be. Cost is important; can't go buy the 500 dollar racing stuff. just looking for some suggestions. My car is a 71 Plymouth Duster 318 Twister project car.

I would suggest an ld-340 and a carter AVS, but I have an ld-340 for sale so Im a little biased.

Whoa, I feel stupid on this one haha...we bought the car from a guy who already put a rebuilt 318 in it so i really do not know, so i'll say stock 318 heads. but how can i find out exactly what kind of heads i have?

there are a few things to consider first,more info is needed about the car/engine combo,and what your goals are.

i would go with a used eddy performer, and a good (shafts tight) avs or afb, should be able to pic up both for around $100. plus a rebuid kit.

For a 318? I would use ethier of these intakes.

Edelbrock Performer, Edelbrock LD4B or a Weiand Action Plus. They'll all perform very close to each other.

For a carb, the cfm limit I'd place on the 318 would be 650 cfm for a mild build to a nice breather for a street stripper. I like a AVS over an AFB. On a Holley brand, I suggest a vacuum secondary carb. An Avenger is a preety good unit to consider. 670 cfm max.

If your going OE or inexpensive, a 340 intake that will take a spreadbore carb is cheap and a T-Q is a great carb. Whcihc is also obtainable very inexpensivly.

Thanks for the suggestions, hopefully now ill be gettin one of these pretty soon so I can get running...ill be sure to post what i get

-
Back