Best iron cyl head?

-

philcollins

Reaction score
I'm buiding a 372 ci, using a 340 engine block and Scat rotating assy. I'l be using a Hugues hydraulic roller cam HER1418ALN-10 cam (valve lift .520, .544, 214/218 duration),1.6 roller rockers, TTi headers and 1971 stock intake and Thermoquad.

What are the best Iron cyl head for the street? . My car is a 1971 Duster, 4 speed, 3,23 final drive.

I'm shooting for 10 to 1 compression ratio. What do you think?

My engine should look stock, so no aluminum cyl head, aftermarket intake and big Holley carb.... My budget is around 2000$

Thanks.

If you are on a budget I would say ported large valve J heads or X heads if you can find them....

the cam you´re using is pretty mild for a stroker engine....so i think you are not searching for the last hp......the rhs X-heads from IMM Engine (link posted above) should be absolutely ok for what you´re doing. I use these on my 408, got my first 11sec. time slip this summer (68´Valiant, full street trim). I know there´s more in it, the heads can support more. In my opinion it´s a nice package what Brian is doing there.

Michael

I think 360Duster is over killing the stroker point because it is only 372 cubes. It's like a seriously bored out 360. Though his mention of the RHS head is an excellent one. I thought RHS doesn't make that head anymore. Someone else picked it up I thought.

Mgunner's idea of a letter head is sound. The later 596/308 heads are pretty good too if you can not find a letter head. (X J O U) if the RHS head is not within the budget.

Get the Indy LA head from IMM...

the one that is linked above...

Ah! That's it! The RHS head was picked up by Indy!
Thanks Tony!

That's a very small cam, I think I would just do up a set of j heads with good 2.02 valves .pocket ported and deep gasket match. They should flow enough for 400 to 450hp. Other wise the indy heads above will work you can use JB weld to fill in the indy name so it looks a bit more stock.

Rob,
The LA-X heads were always Indy. RHS was a partner at first and had both names cast into them.

The LA-X picked up at least 2 tenths over my OEM heads, like a 308 or 587 - all being as-cast with original valve sizes, all else being equal. The LA-X chamber was finished about 4-5 cc smaller than the OEM and, of course, had 1.92"/1.625" valves compared to 1.88"/1.60". I would guess that any mods would be more beneficial on the LA-X than OEM.Just gotta watch the limited installed height and rocker geometry on the LA-X. But if you decide on OEM, a 1.88" valve head would be better start because it can be opened up to 1.92" or 2.02" with fresh, high seats and guides could also be sleeved down to use narrower stem valves. As mentioned by others, pocket porting the bowl and a light port/ polish will help flow a good bit without risking a mistake with more extensive porting.

Getting the TQ tuned right, getting the 4-speed to hook and your limited gear may hold you back. But it should be a fun street car.

Thanks Myron. How are the Magnum versions?

The LA-X and MA-X Magnum versions are the same casting and flow the same. They are just machined differently for their respective valve gear. But OEM Magnum heads appear to be a little better than OEM LA heads. So there may me just a little bit less improvement when swapping over.

Rob,seen a worked set at my buddy's shop. A cutter/ bowl & guide massage/1.97 intake flowed low 260's @ 500-550. IMM's 2.02/1.60 Ferrea valve/ optimized cutter flow 270+ ootb. A good looking head.

Thanks. I am considering this head to swap onto my Magnum's, 5.9 Magnum engine but would like to use LA intakes and Magnum rocker gear. This combo is available correct? And can use Chevy rocker gear.

Gezz, I'm starting to forget!

Thanks. I am considering this head to swap onto my Magnum's, 5.9 Magnum engine but would like to use LA intakes and Magnum rocker gear. This combo is available correct? And can use Chevy rocker gear.

EQ's do the LA pattern, run the smaller intake port(171 ,against the RHS185/190 -ish port.) The E.Q's,were the cleaner of the castings. The RHS had bigger ,rougher castings (I.M.O). For the money,E.Q's can be assembled ,by yourself. I chose to run a LA roller cam?,had to swap to the Crane stud setup, to fix my screw up ,Rob.

Thanks. I also just got a line on big valve R/T heads.
It's a thought...

the cam you´re using is pretty mild for a stroker engine....so i think you are not searching for the last hp......the rhs X-heads from IMM Engine (link posted above) should be absolutely ok for what you´re doing. I use these on my 408, got my first 11sec. time slip this summer (68´Valiant, full street trim). I know there´s more in it, the heads can support more. In my opinion it´s a nice package what Brian is doing there.

Michael

No, it's only for street use.

Trick will be to set up and jet the 71 carb correctly. I have a set of jets for this one year only carb if interested.

If you decide to go this route I built a jig to drill magnum heads for the LA pattern. You're welcome to borrow it.

No, it's only for street use.
You never run it at a track ? You should just once , either at St Eustache 1/8th or Mirabel 1/4 and 1/8 depending on day . At least no tickets for driving 100mph + .

I'm Kinda Surprised no one mentioned the Engine Quest 318 B heads. Very smooth high flow iron headed castings. magnum rocker gear,L A bolt patterns and lots of porting room with 62 cc chambers ????? I work for CSD Engines in Marysville,Ca. We are Engine Quest and Pro Comp. Head Distributors. Just sayin.

You cannot beat the Indy X heads for cost to benefit. A basic set of heads is around $ 900 complete.

You can get a set of original factory heads, but then you have to rebuild them and you will probably have the same amount of money invested as a new set of X heads.

From a performance stand point, the X heads will out perform any factory head.

-
Back