Best "no problem installing/clearance header

-

68DartGTS340

Reaction score
Hi all, I want to install headers on my 68 Dart auto w/340-no power steering or brakes, I am not looking for HP gains as I know long tube applications are best. I am looking to avoid installation and clearance issues primarily.

I would imagine that my combo of no power and automatic is common so I am hoping to tap into this pool of experience to me get this right the first time around.

Feedback welcome.

happy holidays to all.

Ken

TTI's followed by Dougs then Shorty headers.

Well, I just installed Hedman (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hed-78050/overview/year/1970/make/plymouth/model/duster) into my 1970 LA, 4 Speed, manual steering car.

Just to let you know, this was not a fun task, I removed the drag link, steering column was out and starter needed to be put in from bottom (Large one). Driver side needed two ding areas - one on #3, was hitting the head casting and either #5 or 7 (cant remember) was too close to the starter.

Also - #5 and 7 are going to be a PITA for plug wires.

This is my experience

I have hookers on my 340 dart , automatic and it has Ps and it's fairly tight.

I'm sure manual steering will have more room to work with.

Had to unhook the drag link and take the big nut off from the motor mounts , and they slid right in with some time and care full maneuvering .

One tip put the drivers side on first

I put summit brand (patriot) brand on my Dart and they went in easy, don't hit anything, and are up high enough that they don't drag over speed bumps.

To heck with the high price stuff. Get the shorties.

None. They are all a pain the the *** to install and that is before any fitment issues.

Thanks guys, looks like I am in for some fun!
I will compare the prices for TTI and Dougs shortys
My engine is out so I can install them on block easy enough but sounds like it should still be "fun" setting it down in the hole.

You all are great, thanks!

Happy holidays to all!

Thanks guys, looks like I am in for some fun!
I will compare the prices for TTI and Dougs shortys
My engine is out so I can install them on block easy enough but sounds like it should still be "fun" setting it down in the hole.

You all are great, thanks!

Happy holidays to all!

You don't want to install the headers on the block first. Install the engine, then the headers from the bottom. Don't know if the process is true for the shorties.

Or instal the engine on the K-frame with the headers and then instal the engine, K-frame and headers as a unit.

Dropping engine in. Lay the headers in your compartment and tie them to the side. Done it many times. Cover headers with a blanket, leave in plastic.

I agree to go with TTIs but don't be surprised if you have fitment issues. There are plenty of guys that had lots of room around their starter, frame, steering linkage, etc. But I was one of the unfortunate ones. No matter what they still give the best ground clearance.

TTi. They fit, they work, and you have spark plug access. What's $880 in a Mopar build anyway? Just a drop in the bucket. I love my TTi's.

TtI shortys. They drop right in from the top after engine is installed if you unhook steering coupler and slide column out a bit...

How many more times is this going to be asked? Does not matter how you word the ? the answer is not going to change......open the wallet up and let the money flow....TTI/Dougs or Dougs/TTI depending on who answers....aint like this can not be found by using the search feature....or absolute worse case scrolling thru the exhaust forum until one of the countless threads on this subject shows up...

We don't call it the "passenger side" and "drivers side" any more.

It's the "passenger side" and the "Darkside" since putting headers in. :)

How many more times is this going to be asked? Does not matter how you word the ? the answer is not going to change......open the wallet up and let the money flow....TTI/Dougs or Dougs/TTI depending on who answers....aint like this can not be found by using the search feature....or absolute worse case scrolling thru the exhaust forum until one of the countless threads on this subject shows up...

i thought everyone in the mopar world knew about tti.

-
Back