Best Reason to Hot Rod Mopar Instead of Restore...

-

Kmrumedy

Reaction score
This little article popped up yesterday in Hot Rod. Thought it would be interesting point to some. Especially those of us sick of parts gouging. It showed a picture of an exhaust manifold and then went on to say:

"This passenger-side factory exhaust manifold is currently bid to over $4600.00 on eBay. There are currently five people who have bid over $4000 for this Chrysler big block, dual carb exhaust manifold. That's for one exhaust manifold--the passenger side only. I know I'm repeating but I can't believe why it would be so important to restore a car to a 100-percent correct level that you would pay this amount of money rather than buy a set of aftermarket headers and call it a day. I mean really! So for a cheaper yet better performing, and saner approach to car building, when you have the chance--ALWAYS hot rod rather than restore."

Here is link to article:
http://www.hotrod.com/pitstop/one_of_the_best_reasons_to_hot_rod_instead_of_restore/

After my experience in trying to restore an Ebody I am now happily in the hot rod camp and having blast with a happier wallet building out my 64 Valiant.

You?

I agree with you to a point.Some of the prices are insane,no question on that,the point is,who are the people spending this type of money for that part,and if you where the seller and paid nothing for it or very little,you would cash the check asap,would you not.Yes the price is crazy,and can screw the prices for other mopar parts and body sytles.That,s why i have a C body and a Abody car,for the cost.Mine you if you had a early C body 60-63 fin car,you are looking at a 100-150,000$ car,and that,s why the cost of that manifold is that high.mrmopartech when you get a chance call me at 450 424 0445

I'm all for restomodification. I am putting my 65 together to be fun and make some personal improvements along the way.

Not in this lifetime would i pay that kind of money for a manifold.
I would sell one for that, but not buy one!
"Original" and "Numbers matching" are highly over rated and commonly misused in my opinion.
Have fun and drive the car!

The only way to survive in this hobby is to make compromises. I say survive for the average working guy. Doing most of the work yourself and using driver quality part. I'm restoring a 64 D100 now and I'm not paying hundreds for some parts I didn't have. My next build is going to be a restomod or hotrod. Cars are for driving anyway. My 2 cents.

I view things now a lot the same way that I did back in the mid-seventies. Back then it seemed like one of the first things a guy did when he bought a car was put a set of mag wheels on it. Then he'd gradually start tinkering with the engine in an attempt to get more power. The fact is that after putting all the time, money, and effort into them is one of the reasons we grew attached to them. They became like our kids. - And we had cared and nurtured them until they grew into something more than what we started with. So when it comes to the question of how accurate a restoration should be, I prefer to restore them to the way I would have wanted them to be 'back in the day.' I don't consider myself to be a gatekeeper for a Chrysler oem museum. - I'm just in love with muscle cars and feel that they can be a great platform to express one's creative side.

As a side note, I still do like to see fully restored cars as a reminder of what 'original' would have looked like.

I view things now a lot the same way that I did back in the mid-seventies. Back then it seemed like one of the first things a guy did when he bought a car was put a set of mag wheels on it. Then he'd gradually start tinkering with the engine in an attempt to get more power. The fact is that after putting all the time, money, and effort into them is one of the reasons we grew attached to them. They became like our kids. - And we had cared and nurtured them until they grew into something more than what we started with. So when it comes to the question of how accurate a restoration should be, I prefer to restore them to the way I would have wanted them to be 'back in the day.' I don't consider myself to be a gatekeeper for a Chrysler oem museum. - I'm just in love with muscle cars and feel that they can be a great platform to express one's creative side.

Very well put :glasses7:

I like staying in the 4 to low 5 figure range. I have more fun with a drive anywhere,not afraid to park anywhere car. It can still be a nice car,looking good. Would rather buy a set of tail light lenses for $40 that aren't perfect but very usable than $240 for repops or more for NOS. Not taking anything away from those that can or want to..

As a side note, I still do like to see fully restored cars as a reminder of what 'original' would have looked like.

Very well put :glasses7:

X about 10

There ARE certain cars that I feel must be restored to factory specs. Even certain rare a bodies. The 69 440 cuda and 440 darts for example. So few were made that modifying would hurt the value and collectability.

There ARE certain cars that I feel must be restored to factory specs. Even certain rare a bodies. The 69 440 cuda and 440 darts for example. So few were made that modifying would hurt the value and collectability.

Very true. The winged cars are another example. - And there were some cars that were so gorgeous right from the factory that it's hard to really improve them. But then again... there are some people that should never be allowed to 'customize anything! LOL
View attachment 8.JPG

View attachment 9.JPG

View attachment 10.JPG

View attachment 11.JPG

View attachment 12.JPG

View attachment 13.JPG

View attachment 14.JPG

View attachment 15.jpg

View attachment 16.JPG

View attachment 17.jpg

i agree.. i mean we aren't talking about a stinking slant 6 dart here. some cars you would be nuts to really modify. bolting a set of wheels on or some other easy reversible things ok.

also who am i to say how you spend your money and how you restore or modify your car? its none of your business or my business if someone want to spend 4k on an exhaust manifold. would i do it? no. but hey its not my car or my money and no one says i have to stop and look at that all restored car when at a show. i'm sure there are plenty that will though and are into that.

different strokes for different folks man..

The high dollar muscle cars that have value and better restored correctly are the ones that spend the stupid money on parts

Yesterday picked up a buddy's COPO 427 clone 69 Camaro and we were talking about the cost of parts. $600 for a deep groove pulley, $500 for a correct big block valve for the air pump, so he has repop or small block parts. Just couldn't justify trying to get original. Parts we threw away back in the day are hard to come buy

My car is a clone, to try and restore to a correct 1967 GTS would have been almost impossible and would not like it as well

So it was easier and cheaper to resto mod it. Try to look correct in some ways, but not try and make it a 1000 point show car.

It is a driver. The stupid money parts go on trailer queens

View attachment image.jpg

That 67 is very sharp..I like it...

yes I drive my cars race them even drive them in the rain I built my cars the way I want them even number matching stuff its the way I want them its not about making money because you will NOT MAKE money its a hobby and I enjoyed my stuff

Attachments

• 0113081240a.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 534
  • 1 Bad demon.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 549
  • 0626000952a.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 500
  • 0626001059b.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 527
  • 0703001842a.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 521
  • 0604111627.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 511
  • 0625111655.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 539
  • 0723111101.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 512
  • 0806111107.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 515
  • 0515121816a.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 540
Every car should start with a build plan. To each his own. My next car, a 4 door. :)

"...So for a cheaper yet better performing, and saner approach to car building..." If that was the rule, we would all be putting 1UZFE Lexus 4.0 V8's motors in our cars. Cheap ($400 for used motor) 275HP stock, silent, EFI butter smooth idle, clean running, no maintenance....to each his own. Let the sap restore his choked 383 Dart to 100pt and have a car slower than a $1000 BB converted Dart. What fun is a slow restored car you cant even drive because your afraid of scuffing the OEM Red Line tires? whatever...

I think the key here is the fact there spending that money on a car there going to sell and make a profit. its not a car they plan on keeping. they could care less about the car, because to them its just money. there not like most here that cringe when we see a car in a field rotting away thinking how cool it would be to fix it and drive it. they look at that same car and see $$$ signs if they could get the car.
I look at the pics of members cars on this site and actually get butterflies so to speak, and i never see the $$$$ aspect of it.

And the reserve hasn't even been met yet on the manifold! Yowser!!!!

Mike in FL

I like restomod or a day 2 look.Stock is no fun....Even the A12 car I was was modified.But I did have a 55,000 mile unrestored 70 Road Runner I just could not modify other than a set of mags and a under dash radio.Modify do as you wish and have fun with the car you have.

There is no such thing as rare, numbers matching, or all original to me. Ive never seen an all original car of any kind that wouldn't look better modified. I don't care if a car is one of only five cars painted a certain color or the only one in existence with a certain stripe or engine. To me, worth no more than the other 100,000 cars just like it with different options...

-
Back