Big block or bust....

-
What's with all the rust? Was it out in the weather ?

What's with all the rust? Was it out in the weather ?
Yes quite tragic. If it hadn't been left out I'm sure it would have been a good runner. I think it only had like 40,000 miles on it but everything that didn't get moist or rusted was pristine. You know inside under the valve covers wasn't all crusty or anything it was very clean... Except for where the condensation from the water had screwed things up...
Anyways I bought it as a core to get bored anyways...
Tomorrow I'll see if that's possible if not I'm out 220 and my time.. well maybe just 200 I should get about $20 in scrap metal as the prices are up! LOL...

Also with the purchase of this I was up $20 after the entire swap meet which I always call a win breaking even.. I've been down as much as $500 after a swap meet... After that time anytime I break even I'm super happy... $20 up and a bunch of treasures and a possible 440! I'm over the moon...

Have you measured the bores for the pistons?

And how are the lifter bores?

j par doing a stroker big block. I'm liking it. :thumbsup:
He's really going to like it.

Not sure I’d order pistons until they tell you what it’ll clean up at…unless you’re okay with a sleeve or two (or more)
I didn't have any intentions of buying anything until the block had been looked at. Actually I didn't have any intentions of buying anything this year... I'm thinking sometime next year around this time start look at buying the stroker kit...
My machine shop is backed up 8 months to a year...

Definitely 4.32...
The lifter bores seemed fine... The water didn't come up that high...
hopefully you might get lucky.
I would let the machine shop decide. They are not gonna like the pitting, it is always a hard call and has to be eyeballed.
You will never know till after the bore work has been done.

hopefully you might get lucky.
I would let the machine shop decide. They are not gonna like the pitting, it is always a hard call and has to be eyeballed.
You will never know till after the bore work has been done.
I'd be shocked to find out it wouldn't be good after 60 thousandths...

I had a 440 that was pitted from sitting in the weather, it was a low milage block.
It cleaned up at .030, should have went more as one small area in one cylinder had a rust stain left.
We ran it and the cylinder sealed good for many hard runs and street duty.

60 is roughly 1/16 total or roughly 1/32 per side.
Its not much.

I hope it cleans up for you, I have a 454 block that is standard and i do not think it is quiet as bad.
I would love to use it.
several 440s as well.

Well here I go... Looks like I'm gonna be on the road to a big block education..
Tomorrow I'm picking up a 76 motorhome 440..
No longer turns over left outside..
"The plan"..(LOL)..
Completely disassembled and drop off block and caps at machine shop..
I pretty much want to dump everything else??..
QUESTION: What do I keep?
APPLICATION: 69 B-body with automatic...
440 source pump gas stroker kit, aluminum heads, headers, aluminum intake, after market distributor...
Thank you for everyone's time and experience...
It’s a mopar you save everything but the old gaskets…

I dropped the block off at the machine shop today and from they're over 40 years of experience he said his gut feeling says it's going to be okay... He said they'll try and hone a couple cylinders to give us a better idea before they go ahead and hot tank it and shot peen it..

Now I'm sure I'm not gonna use many of the things that came of that 440...
Machine shop said they were interested in the heads. They are 452's... I like electric fans so I probably won't use the clutch fan that came from the motorhome. The cast iron water pump housing will probably be scrapped. Likely the cast iron intake as well... The Pistons are junk along with the rods and I'll probably toss the crank as well... I'll be getting a stroker kit so none of that's worth anything to me or anybody else for that matter.. I was definitely going to keep the oil pump drive gear and the distributor hold down and the cam nut along with the harmonic balancer nut and washer... I will likely get aluminum heads and intake, aluminum water pump housing and probably do the cvf racing pulleys and brackets and all that stuff...
I'm definitely going to keep the truck oil pan and pick up tube in case the years go by and I'm not able to get the 69 roadrunner I'll probably think about putting it in my truck...

Since I'm looking for a pump gas dish piston stroker I'll probably just get the stealth heads.. I know I'll be in the same price to have these heads redone by the machine shop so I might as well just get aluminum ones that are done... And one hell of a lot lighter..

PXL_20220406_220144418.jpg
PXL_20220406_220153034.jpg
PXL_20220406_220201564.jpg
PXL_20220406_220211433.jpg

I was shocked to go to the machine shop today to get some oil and find my block had been honed 27 thousandths.. probably thought I wanted it 30 over...
It almost cleaned up and they said it would be just fine at 30 over but I want a 512 so it's got to go 55 over and that will definitely have it cleaned up...

-
Back