Big small block

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
My car project is going to be on hold for a while so I will have all kinds of time on my hands to sit here and "paper" build things. First off, my goal. I would like a car that runs on pump gas, is somewhat driveable, and gets at least in the teens in mpg. Would like to start out running high10's-low 11's (been a long time since I have been down a dragstrip). But as time moves on I would like the et to drop into the low-mid 9's. Car is a 69 Dart, cage certed to 8.5, mini-tub, springs relocated. I realize that I will probably have to ditch the springs to reach my goal, but will cross that bridge when I get there. Car has an gm4l80e in it (it is staying) and a Currie 9+ rear, which is also staying. Original plan was a 572" Hemi, complete with an Crossram set up for EFI. But, now I am not so sure. Have been tossing around the idea of a turbo setup, preferably a twin. Without chopping up the fenderwells:banghead::banghead: . I realize that this will be almost impossible with a b/rb. But what if I were to build a smalll block that displaced as much as an rb? Have been doing some net surfing and found this http://www.hughesengines.com/TechArticles/1ritterracingsmallblocks.php
I realize that this block is a ton of $$$, but no matter which way I go it is going to cost a truck load of $$$. That being said, what cylinder heads would work? I have a set of new brodix b1ba heads. But will they move enough air for a 440" la motor with twin turbos? Just trying to get ideas here, so if I am way off base let me know. A few other random thoughts were a 426" Hemi with a procharger or perhaps a build similar to http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/hrdp_0812_1100_hp_pump_gas_mopar_b_motor/index.html . I know these will all be high $$$ build and will take me a while to come up with the $$$...

Why not just go with a gen 3 Hemi? Throw a super or turbo charger and go for it? It will be way more dependable and get better mpg

Not a fan of that motor. Quicktime, while I am sure would build one if I asked does not have an adapter listed to hook a 3g Hemi up to the 4l80e. I am not saying that I would rule it out, but at this point I would like to stay with the the older motors.....

Depending on your car and how much room is between the grill and radiator, why not mount the turbos there?

I think with that block choice (which would be the right choice, IMO) you could do anything you want. You just need to know how much you want to spend, and then figure out the heads BEFORE you order the block. I have a fellow I know that runs mid 8s (in the 1/4) on a 10.5 tire in a 2nd gen (mid 90s?) mustang. It's a 351", non stroker, with a large single turbo. This is an outlaw street racer so it has to look and sound sedate, and it does. I'd go for a large single intercooler turbo, 360", top quality crank, rods, and pistons. I'd run Indy 360-1s and have Jeff at Modern Cylinder Head port and finish them along with the intake you choose.

If your spending that kinda money I would talk to Bill Richardson or Dale Chenoweth and build a old school hemi with a new block just rough #'s but a 540 cu. in. made 877 hp and 776 tq with a cross ram and vacuum secondaries. Mike Chenoweth (Dale's son) is also running a hemi not sure what combo but he is running a 10.10 1/4 mile in a 4100# (i think super bee)

-
Back