Biggest Cam in a 360?

-
Well going for sound will usually lead you to disappointment.But, If you want your motor to sound like a pro stock car (LOL) then use one of the dreaded .509 purple cams... wich could actually work well in your 360 with the right gear and converter.

this wouldn't be the biggest, but it really does sound good and your neighbors will hate you.

I would be careful .... you might be disappointed on the horse power and torque of a large miss matched cam. Another words your engine is making the biggest numbers right now.

Every step of cam level in degrees is gonna lose vacuum over stock and a race cam is gonna be in single digits. Whats the spec's of the engine, compression, cam, intake, headers, gears, stall speed, carb and what kind of car. I'd go with a comp cams thumper series or similar cam from another company, there design to give give a race sound within a more street spec'd engine.

It is a 1974 Dart Swinger with a 360 with polished and ported j heads stock but valves are stainless. It is factory bore and is backed by a 727 with a 2500 or 3500 stall cant remember. It has an a body 8 3/4 with 3.23 sure grip and will soon be a 3.55 with a sure grip.

Dont use anything longer than about 28" or it will stick out the back :D.

Honestly, if you have to have the sound, understanding that you're actually losing performance all accross the board - Get something with more duration than 250° @ .050 or look into the Thumper cams from Comp. It will run like **** but it will have the sound.

Tske a look at the smallest of the Comp Thumpers.The small converter you havr gives you some leeway for streetability.

Thumper cams will definitly give you the big cam sound but you will lose power with them. I have done the cam dyno on compcams website and the graph would show about a 30 hp loss going with the thumper cams over one of their extreme energy cams.

Use the Thumper cAm series with the duration to match.

Want chop, run a thumpr or hughes whiplash and install it ahead, like 102ish.

Find a cam cut on a 106ish LSA

A 360 with a XE268H will have some chop to it. Still have enough vacumm to run PB and accessories.

The Comp Thumpr series is designed to sound like you have more cam than you really do. Or, if you want to look at it the other way, all the bad manners of a big cam without the power.

Somebody mentioned the MP .509 cam. It will certainly have a rough idle but will make good power too assuming you have the compression. Since you say stock bore so I'll assume stock compression.

If it were me, I'd rebuild the short block with KB 107 pistons and an XE274 cam. With factory compression the XE268 might actually be faster.

Is this choppy enough?

[ame=http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v655/crackedback/?action=view&current=DemonontheRoad009-1.mp4]
th_DemonontheRoad009-1.jpg
[/ame]

360 with a XE268H and about 9.5:1

This thread is heading south.Every thread that concerns camshaft sound usually does. like I said, a .509" will grant you all of the great sound you're after. If you want it to peform youll have to get a good converter and a good gear and an HONEST 9.5:1 will be all you need...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrqvMTafr_c&feature=plcp"]'69 Cuda 340 TTI Headers and 3" pipe w/ Dynomax Race Magnums (Ultraflos). - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoV0rg3vuww&feature=plcp"]69 Cuda 340 new cam with Dynomax Ultra Flos - YouTube[/ame]

Im leanin more towards the second

Exactly. Run a Hughes Whiplash cam. That's what they're designed for. To sound badass and still have good power. Crower was actually the first to design cams like that probably close to 40 years ago. BIG duration split, LONG exhaust duration and a tight lobe separation. All of that combined gets great sound and still leaves a lot of power to be had. Because the duration @.050 is not huge, there is still plenty of bottom end and mid range, but there's a great chop to it. Sound good and run good. Sounds like that's what you want. Stop guessing and put a Whiplash in it. The Comp Thumpr series is the same basic design.

Those two cams are not really apples to apples...the comp is a mild hydraulic street cam, that hughes is a pretty heavy solid

Use the Whiplash....that second video you like above is the same car, but the 340 has been stroked to 416 with worked Edelbrock heads by Hughes. The cam is a large solid....if you rebuild yours then by all means you are starting with a clean sheet. If not, then go Whiplash, that's what he was running in the first video and he's got another were he goes 12.9 with that setup with a stock 340 and the Whiplash. Pretty good for an otherwise stock motor, and that's with the stock rockers..not rollers and stock small valve iron heads.

You should get cam/lifters/springs from Hughes...>Dave at Hughes will highly recommend his springs for use with his cams...as well if you buy his package he'll gaurantee is against going flat if you flub it on break-in.

Good luck!

Stay away from the Thumpr line...heard bad things about them, poor power and I'm pretty sure they are NOT ground on true .904 lobes like Hughes cams are...if your stuck on Comp then I'd go with an XE grind...or a Lunati Voodoo 60403 or 60404 both great grinds.

I am lookin at the whiplash to its just that you said that it has good power and sound. I figured you were a reliable source and didnt have to ask again thats all. And the comp cams one I got a buddy willin to sell a new one to me for 100 bucks.

-
Back