Biohazard

-
Any idea what type of media he used? Walnuts,baking soda...glass beads are nice. I use them extensivley when blasting. Aword of advise if you have very delicate but rusty parts.I have 4 piston K.H calipers,and they were really bad. I bought that evaporust,followed the instructions and they came out great! Would not use it for large parts that cannot be immersed.

I believe you about ammonia and the sun! My Darts seats looked like the god of mold had yacked up on them. I scrubbed with soapy water and left them in the sun for a day...Mold and stank gone!

Temperatures were good but the wind made painting a real pain. Still, I got plenty done. Painting these was like blasting them - have to come at it from many angles to get complete coverage around all those twisted wires. Went through 4 cans of graffiti sauce and still have areas that aren't finished. You end up sending a lot of paint to the atmosphere trying to coat the spring bases. But anyway, they are mostly done and I hope I can get another reasonably warm day to finish up soon.

Before spraying anything, I went around the frames with pliers and tightened up the metal securing bands to make up for 47 years of loosening.

Took photos of how these cross wires run before removing them.

Finally, time to lay down the gloss black Krylon Dual.

It's been too cold to finish painting the bucket frames so those are still hanging out in the garage. The foam was returned and I have yet to order the new stuff. (does PG ever even have sales? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?)

However, I DO have all I need to finish off the rear seat! My frames were washed and then coated with oil way back but it was before I discovered the power of ammonia so I decided to bust those out and disinfect them better before I started putting them together.

Here's an updated look at the rear seat frames after being thoroughly soaked in ammonia:

And my awesome work stand. * I am not Mark Worman.

As I type this, local weather is reporting 53 degrees. Sunny, of course. Just barely warm enough to shoot spray paint and have it come out decent. However, you have your little micro-climates like what I'm having in the sunny side of the garage where it's actually 69. And if you kept your paint inside until you're ready to use it and consider the effect of direct sunlight on black steel - it is PLENTY warm enough to paint!

The rear seat frames take multiple passes because you have to get them from several angles for complete coverage of all the wires.
Today is actually day two on just this piece.

A nice smooth coating to cure the abrasiveness of lightly surface rusted metal.

It's not even 1pm. The longer I can have my work drying in the sun, the less the paint fumes will foul up the garage when I bring everything in for the night.

Trying to show the most rusted and pitted part of the seat frames, now nicely smoothed out with a few costs of paint. But it illustrates why the frames needed to be taken as far down as they were.

Such an awesome day - I just kep' a rollin'. This meant shooting the undersides of the bucket bases -

...and separating the rear seat upper's springs and frame so I could better clean them and shoot the paint on the springs. Here's the spring assembly getting rinsed down with ammonia - - which, by the way, is a good degreaser as well as providing a good sanitizing.

The fold-down frame is pretty clean but is showing a bit of surface rust so it will get a light coat of paint, too.

1,000 hog rings on their way. I'll try to keep track of how many I actually use, lol.

I tried to do a count in my head, knowing it was fuzzy math, and was unsure on 500 count or one thousand? I played it safe ;)

Nice to see you back here again! Ankle keepin' you outta the shop, still? lol

I tried to do a count in my head, knowing it was fuzzy math, and was unsure on 500 count or one thousand? I played it safe ;)

Nice to see you back here again! Ankle keepin' you outta the shop, still? lol

Crap! I miss-read, thought you wrote 100..... me---->:violent1:<-----you. :D

Just got back from FLA. Foot feels pretty good today, gonna try and see how itgoes in shop tomorrow!!!
Anxious to get back on the FrankenCuda!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :burnout:

THA -- OWW -- ZUND. Shipping's more than the darn things are worth so I wasn't about to pay for it twice!

doing a great job as usual. You could probably get hog rings from your local hardware store and save the shipping.

Thank you thank you. -I thought about that and there are plenty...and I mean plenty of automotive upholstery joints in town but when I saw ebay had 'em at 15 bucks shipped for a bag of 1,000...I figured it wasn't worth the drive so I just clicked and forgot about it.

Next event is cleaning the goo out of the seat sliders and getting those painted.

Whew....tough day at work today! It's a scalding 63 degrees out and decided to brave the heat and get my bucket seat tracks and sliders cleaned up. *and then post about it here, lol.

Wife's on her way up with some foo-foo coffee so I'll put some pics up whilst I wait.

Rust-wise, they don't look so awful. They just need to be scrubbed a bit and thoroughly degreased so the paint will adhere.

Created a bathtub with a box and a bag for the parts to soak in. Busted out some of the turbine engine flush to do the degreasing with. The gunk in the sliders is ancient!

Hot water rinse in the janitor's closet.

Then outside they went for an 'after-rinse' with my trusty ammonia and, in the direct sun, they'll be bone dry in 10 minutes. Love the southwest!

Dry.

...and since I had the tools easily at hand, I decided to grind down some of the sharp edges and casting excess.

Even did the hardware.

Still have just a bit more wire brushing to do, then the paint goes on.
I did manage to find the correct allen wrench to remove the chrome knobs so they don't end up getting painted over.

Mount brackets look really good! Still have yellow paint on 1 spring!

You should be pleased they are that nice!

Still wondering where all the stink came from when all the hardware looks that good after some washing! Most of us are blasting all those pieces cause they are pretty crusty even after a good wash!

Did you find Hoffa yet? Just jokin!!

Actually, there are a total of 4 springs and only one did NOT have the yellow paint on it!

Gerald, the stink resided primarily in the soft goods with the fibrous insulation being the worst of it - particularly since it is distributed all over the car. I mean, you're talking floor, cargo area, ceiling, behind the dash. Then, of course, there's the seat foam. It's all history, now and the only odors in the garage now are from the fresh paint on those seat frames. If it were warmer, I'd have left 'em outside and/or they'd be done off-gassing already.

The nuts that secure the seat tracks were very grungy but they were left to soak in that engine cleaning sauce for a couple hours (I sorta forgot about 'em) and all of the crud pretty much fell off when I held them under rinse water.

What color were the big return springs on the tracks. Brick Red?

You have done as much work as most of us that had much less to work with!

Your car has shown to be pretty solid from the start!

I am excited you are nearing the end and reaching the enjoyment time of just plain crusing!

What color were the big return springs on the tracks. Brick Red?

I am excited you are nearing the end and reaching the enjoyment time of just plain crusing!

They were black. You can see them in the first pic at the top of page 52.

I cannot wait to just be able to roll in it whenever. I mean, c'mon...hubcaps this sweet should be on full display!

Anyone who's tortured themselves with all 50+ pages will know that I'm a big fan of Marine Clean - the water based cleaner/degreaser from POR-15. So, why hadn't I used it on my seat tracks? Well, cuz I sorta forgot about it. But I brought a full spray bottle with me this morning and re-cleaned the tracks/rails/sliders (whatever) with it and, wouldn't ya know, some brown nastiness actually rinsed off. So I am actually quite happy with the state of the tracks now that I've cleaned them with such a variety of products and if I can get some more of that Krylon Dual...I'll start spraying some paint before this shift ends.

Wow....3 years ago I was gathering the collective wisdom of FABO and negotiating to buy this thing. Three years!!

I just went back and re-read my "what's it worth" thread. Good laughs and some truly awesome quotables. Some favorites:

You'd be surprised how quickly all the little things you replace add up - Cudavert

While the metal survives well in Arizona all the rubber seals and soft parts go to crap - Okla

Be prepared for it to take along time to complete before the driving starts - Gerald

sometimes the dirt and grime is all that holds them together - Russ

Car needs a hospital-grade cleaning - Me (of course) lol Boy, wasn't that just the kick off for this project. :banghead:

-
Back