Bolt in rollbars Q & A

-

roccodart440

Reaction score
Berfore reading, this isn't a discussion about safety. It's a discussion about parts availability and legal requirements for racing.

I became interested in a bolt in cage because I don't really want to put a weld in in the car. The cross bar is the biggest problem as I use the backseat.

I canot find any prefabed bolt in bars for our cars. BIG SURPRISE! While there are bolt in bars for many many others. As usual, non for us...

While there are companies making NHRA legal bolt in cages for other cars Ridetech make a bolt in cage that is not NHRA legal but it is ECTA legal to 175 MPH. http://www.ridetech.com/store/tigercage/ They are working on NHRA certification. NHRA has amended the roll bar rule in 2013, a stock 2008 and newer car can run faster than 11.49 without a roll bar unless a vert. So they are looking to make more money by allowing more cars to qualify and run. I think we might see them get a cert.

So a couple things....

CAn any of you link me to the style connectors they use? I'm hard pressed to believe these are one off units.

Also, whether you want one or not i'd like to see a flood of emails go to these guys requesting a cage for A bodies. Feel free [email protected]

Here is a response email from RPm rollbars.

-=======================================

Thanks for the inquiry James, yes we plan on every car eventually, We did the early challengers and cuda body. Next on the Mopar list is A bodies and B bodies. Yes prob A bodies first, prob just check in every so often to see progress but it will be soon.

Thank you,
Rob Mathis
RPM Rollbars
www.rpmrollbar.com
(503) 486-7012 Direct

I would be in line for a bolt in I like that idea a lot better than bolt in:-D

I would be in line for a bolt in I like that idea a lot better than bolt in:-D

Let em' know it!!

Rob Mathis
RPM Rollbars

www.rpmrollbar.com
(503) 486-7012 Direct

Matter of fact if you guys post your interest here I'l send him the link to this thread.

have you given any thought to getting a weld-in and making it a bolt-in?

Yes, I have. buying one sounds much sweeter.

In dream land RideTech gets their NHRA cert and makes a cage for an Abody. I'd be on that like a dog on a pork chop.

I can't see where it could retain any sort of certification if you modded it that way.

Read the rule book or look around at what's available. Bolt in cages are NHRA legal all day long.

I am trying to design and market a bolt in rollbar. The joint in the link is the strongest one I can find and I am waiting for info from NHRA about certification when using that part, so the bar can be broken down for ease of installation/removal.

[URL="http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/ID-Tube-Clamp_p_1467.html"]http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/ID-Tube-Clamp_p_1467.html[/URL]

These are bad ***.

I know an engine builder and chassis guy in the Northeast that works on some very competitive F.A.S.T Racing Cars and he says they mod the cages to be bolt together (not welded and bolted in place) and says they cover the joints with roll bar padding and it flys.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the only bolt it pieces could be the floor plates??? Don't all the tubes have to be welded?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the only bolt it pieces could be the floor plates??? Don't all the tubes have to be welded?

As of right now yes.

Sort of... There is a portion in there about slip tubes and how long they have to be and they have to have 2 bolts if done that way.

My last car shich went 10.92 had an 8 point. They never checked it out too close. It was legit and legal and my welds were probably ok but it was a show qulaity car. One thing i've learned about tech is the shadyer it looks the more they pay attention. Most of what theya re wooried about is oiling down the track.

Bolt it in, then weld it. Please don't play around. These cars are rickety enough as it is.

You build a cage/bar to meet certifacation, one does not get a cert to build cages for NHRA.

Basic roll bars (that allow) is 1 3/4" by .118 wall min or.083 Moly
If a cage is to be installed the dia can be reduced to 1 5/8" x .118 or .083 moly
Now here is the problem, standards have changed when it comes to wall thickness in mild steel with the 1 5/8", they can still call it .120wall when it measures out .114 and that will get you bounced if the check it. So as a chassie builder you have to use the next up in wall size which is .134 (and measures as such)
The next problem is that most local metal supplys dont carry it and you have to buy it from a chassie supply house unless you can afford to buy a large amount

On unibody cars with stock floor and firewall (wheel
tubs permitted), the roll cage may be bolted or welded to the
floor/rocker box via 6-inch x 6-inch x .125-inch steel plates similar to
the roll-bar attachment requirements of paragraph 4:10 in this section.

You can bolt it to the floor with plates on both sides of the floor..everything else is going to need to be welded.

[ame]http://www.nhra.com/UserFiles/file/General_Regulations.pdf[/ame]

Look on page 22...under Full bodied cars

Berfore reading, this isn't a discussion about safety. It's a discussion about parts availability and legal requirements for racing.

Bolt it in, then weld it. Please don't play around. These cars are rickety enough as it is.

Please read threads before commenting.

They dont' make a bolt in for our cars and this thread is specificly not regarding safety.

If your car is rickety, I'm sorry. Take the time to improve your car.

You build a cage/bar to meet certifacation, one does not get a cert to build cages for NHRA.

I think you misunderstood or I mispoke. THere are bolt in cages that if installed per manufacteres specs will pass NHRA and they sell them as NHRA legal roll bars.

In regards to wall thickness. I don't know if most local tracks could even test that much less would even want to especially for 10.0 and slower. I've always bought my bars/cage kits. I'm doign a 63 Nova right now.

On unibody cars with stock floor and firewall (wheel tubs permitted), the roll cage may be bolted or welded to the floor/rocker box via 6-inch x 6-inch x .125-inch steel plates similar to
the roll-bar attachment requirements of paragraph 4:10 in this section.

You can bolt it to the floor with plates on both sides of the floor..everything else is going to need to be welded.

http://www.nhra.com/UserFiles/file/General_Regulations.pdf

Look on page 22...under Full bodied cars

Thanks for posting that.

Based upon "They are working on NHRA certification" & I think we might see them get a Cert"

You are right ,most tracks cannot check for wall thicness and cars that go quicker than 10 need to have it checked and receive a SFI sticker when passes sonic.
BUT----
Just because it does not get checked does not mean ANYONE can skimp on it. Any incident where that area is deficint becomes the liability of the driver and/or the builder/Manf. and not the track or tech personal
Your cause is noble, but the lack of volume (people building with the same thought) will make this a one off deal, Selling 10 units a year is not something I want to tool up for, I will measure and bend the tube & plate for most any style car, but will only offer in a kit form, Too many liability issues unless I install the whole thing.

Got my 10pt yesterday and am going to make at least part of it bolt together using 3.5" circles out of 3/16 with 5 grade 8 3/8" bolts holding it together. Rules say seat belt cross bar must be welded but mine is going to be bolted. Plan on having grand kids someday! There is a section that says you can join tubes with plate and 4 bolts but I like the circle with 5 better. Having an issue with welder feeding wire might have to join more pipes this way and have to take it to work and use that welder.

There is a section that says you can join tubes with plate and 4 bolts but I like the circle with 5 better. .

Link to or qoute this part.

The biggest isseu with these cages/roll bars is that welded center tube. There has to be a way to make it bolt in and safe and get NHRA to accept it.

The area of the cage that went through the floor isn't realy the purpose or area of complaint this thread is about. However..

If installed to the floor or frame per NHRA's instructions. Having it welded or bolted would not make a difference in the end result. The 6x6 plate would have to push through the floor in either case for the mustang scenario to happen.

I'd be more than happy to weld everything except the damn cross bar!!

I think it would be real easy to have the hoop/crossbar bolt in, use swing out bars? depends where u plan to connect the rear bars I guess...

-
Back