Builders: Square engine, Over Square, or Under Square for you?

-
In that case (here comes the hate) I would take the Chevy.

The deck on the 400 is so tall and the stroke so short that the R/S ratio is on the high side anyway and the piston would be horribly top heavy.

You start getting to 8k plus with a piston like that and your ring seal (under load) will be compromised too much.

Even if you coated the skirts and you were running with a clearance of .0015 (or less) it still would be far too compromised to be competitive.

If you could get a 400 block with say a 9.200 deck that thing would smoke some ***.
Make sure you get a pop up toaster behind that so I can really make fun of you lol

It's 409 ci, I know so sorry.

Obviously nothing about that engine is stock but it does show there's nothing wrong about the basic short block, bore stroke and rod ratio. Put a great top end on it and gonna get decent results even without adding stroke, and no reason to an extent that a 383 or even a 361 couldn't do well. And by well I mean the more average power people build for 400-600+hp not a 1000 + hp, 1.61 lbs-ft and 2.44 hp per cid.

In the end, most guys don't spin their junk to 8000 plus, so just run what you got.

Ok. Are the Windsors a 9.5 deck or are they 9.2 as well??

I used to be able to say all the housing bore sizes, deck heights, rod lengths and all that stuff like that.

Now ICRS like that. Drives me nuts.
They are all 9.2 as well. Ford has one of the largest engine family trees there is.

But the real question is why settle for 400 cubes.
Bigger cubes is better at everything.
When Jesus comes back...check out what he has, 3500 cubic inch 100-71 blown nitro HEMI
10 inch bore 5.6 inch stroke, yeah you better believe it.

I used to be able to say all the housing bore sizes, deck heights, rod lengths and all that stuff like that.

You really don't need to remember that, that's for rusty the ford guy lol

How much effect does the almost 1.3 sq/in in area of the piston come into play wrt a 4 vs 4.2" bore? it's almost 10% more surface to push down so I'd have to think that has some impact. if so, how much?

How much effect does the almost 1.3 sq/in in area of the piston come into play wrt a 4 vs 4.2" bore? it's almost 10% more surface to push down so I'd have to think that has some impact. if so, how much?
Not to mention if we compare the 4.342" bore of the 400.

I guess that might be affected more by how much compression the bigger bore has. A bigger bore will draw more mixture if everything else matches and more compression will make the piston size more effective, I assume a bigger piston also has better heat dissipation since there's more aluminum for heat to absorb.

I guess that might be affected more by how much compression the bigger bore has. A bigger bore will draw more mixture if everything else matches and more compression will make the piston size more effective, I assume a bigger piston also has better heat dissipation since there's more aluminum for heat to absorb.

Hadn't considered heat dissipation. I was thinking more simply about the burn having more surface area to push down on per stroke and wondering if there is a decent way to estimate how much additional power was possible just on that factor alone.

Hadn't considered heat dissipation. I was thinking more simply about the burn having more surface area to push down on per stroke and wondering if there is a decent way to estimate how much additional power was possible just on that factor alone.
I bet it does have a positive effect because as the bore size increases, compression increases along with it plus a better draw.
I guess to really tell you 100% id have to build a stock bore engine and transfer everything out of and off of my 470 , that would be a very interesting test.
Id also like to machine another block and hard block it with 4.500 inch bore sleeves to see what that would do, it would probably dissipate less heat though and I don't have enough cylinder head for that yet

Obviously nothing about that engine is stock but it does show there's nothing wrong about the basic short block, bore stroke and rod ratio. Put a great top end on it and gonna get decent results even without adding stroke, and no reason to an extent that a 383 or even a 361 couldn't do well. And by well I mean the more average power people build for 400-600+hp not a 1000 + hp, 1.61 lbs-ft and 2.44 hp per cid.
But this thread is about "hypothetical" or the perfect engine, and preferences to the builder. We obviously can throw in real engines for comparison of all makes.

By the way, I have already taken from this thread perspectives and some facts that have enhanced my understanding because sometimes a closed mind needs a can opener...lol. Other than that, we stay stuck in our own puddle of mud. I did this thread because I hope to broaden my knowledge and a couple of post have already helped me.

Thumbs up to all that's played along so far.... Thanks!
:thumbsup:

By the way, I have already taken from this thread perspectives and some facts that have enhanced my understanding because sometimes a closed mind needs a can opener...lol. Other than that, we stay stuck in our own puddle of mud. I did this thread because I hope to broaden my knowledge and a couple of post have already helped me.

Thumbs up to all that's played along so far.... Thanks!
:thumbsup:
They are interesting threads, what would really be interesting would be to see what this would have said 50 years ago

I sure there's away but it's really not needed, basically like in this case, say a 400 over bored to a 409 and our normal 360 into a 408. For the same given amount of fuel and air ones gonna get a higher percentage of it's torque from the larger piston but the other will have more multiplying effect from the longer stroke.

Torque is more about displacement and it's VE% it don't overly care how you make it (bore/stroke), I'm not saying there's not advantages one way or another, just for most of us if you build a 408 or a 409 you should be able to get similar torque per cid.

Last edited:
But this thread is about "hypothetical" or the perfect engine, and preferences to the builder. We obviously can throw in real engines for comparison of all makes.
Is there a perfect engine? It's probably depend on the situation and goals, basically you need X power to accomplish Y what's the best way to get there with whatever design restraints you got.

OEM 351 Windsor block is 9.500"

They are all 9.2 as well. Ford has one of the largest engine family trees there is.

That is incorrect.

OEM 351 Cleveland block has a 9.200" deck height

OEM 351 Windsor bock has a 9.500" deck height

However the hot setup is buying an aftermarket Windsor block with the 9.20" deck height and 302 mains if you want to race.

Tom

But the real question is why settle for 400 cubes.
Bigger cubes is better at everything.
When Jesus comes back...check out what he has, 3500 cubic inch 100-71 blown nitro HEMI
10 inch bore 5.6 inch stroke, yeah you better believe it.

Because sometimes there is a weight break at a low CID that you can take advantage of.

This is an unanswerable question due to the near endless amount of combinations. If you tested this idea at the same cubic inch then you would also have to try the various strokes. Then there is every part of the engine that has to match and then every part of the engine that can be replaced with another part to try.

So, having a many different cranks, rods, journal sizes, pin sizes, piston variations, camshafts, bearings, don’t forget the roller cam bearings, piston ring packs…….. every part changeable on the engine would need to be compared.

Win lotto and find out.

Why even answer him?

-
Back