Builders: Square engine, Over Square, or Under Square for you?

-
I work on all brands at work, just matching so unless it's a Mopar I couldn't tell you what the deck height is on any of them lol
I knew all this stuff when I was a mechanic and machinist and stayed with it, but I've been out of touch professionally for a long time now. We all know how out of touch mentally I am.

I knew all this stuff when I was a mechanic and machinist and stayed with it, but I've been out of touch professionally for a long time now. We all know how out of touch mentally I am.

Use it or loose it what I was told.

I write stuff down now. If I don’t make a too do list, I do nothing.
My library still yet grows.

and they didn't build a truck!
Really?
4045D381-F6F4-4BD6-995A-4C681B55B067.jpeg

For N/A stuff, big bore, short stroke. Most Aussie Pro Stock engines are 4.2" + bore, with around a 3.6" stroke. RPM is always king when making HP.

Deck height will usually be as low as the package or available block allows.

Rod ratio depends on the builder's preference, ideally you want to keep all of the piston skirt in the bore, as it can tear them up if the skirts protude too low at BDC.

Rod ratios of around 1.6 - 1.68 are pretty common in various PS and Comp Eliminator engines, although Mountain Motor Pro Stock it's around 1.3:1

Many things have changed for these engines to evolve, advances in manufacturing processes and materials, data collection, design simulation etc.

Using a 0.5 mm (0.0196") top and second steel piston ring would have been crazy talk 20 years ago.

Looking through old magazines....SS & DI Dec 79. Article on long & short rods. Apparently at that time there was a junior fuel Chevy class. Ran fastest with a 1.9 r/s ratio, but et'd best with a 1.75 ratio. Junior fuellers were limited to 310 ci & had NO transmissions. With a 1.9 ratio, they would run 198-199 mph. With a 1.5 ratio, these turned about 185mph but regularly et'd 1 or 2 tenths quicker.

Looking through old magazines....SS & DI Dec 79. Article on long & short rods. Apparently at that time there was a junior fuel Chevy class. Ran fastest with a 1.9 r/s ratio, but et'd best with a 1.75 ratio. Junior fuellers were limited to 310 ci & had NO transmissions. With a 1.9 ratio, they would run 198-199 mph. With a 1.5 ratio, these turned about 185mph but regularly et'd 1 or 2 tenths quicker.
A hell of a lot has changed in 45 years, I doubt that much of that would be particularly relevant now

IDK about that. This comes down to physics, I believe.

The physics are the same but the cylinder heads aren’t.

High (how long is a rope???) rod to stroke ratios helped with undersized ports.

You can just about get any cross section you need if you spend the money.

Then it becomes less critical but it still matters because it affects cam timing.

-
Back