building a 451, need cam help

-

66/440

Reaction score
Hi everyone. so im looking to build a 451 stroker but need cam help. ive already got a steel 440 crank, some eagle h beam rods, performer rpm air gap intake 440 source stealth heads with port work done by modern cylinder head over in michigan, harland sharp 1.5 roller rockers and i plan to buy some diamond flat tops. i'd like to run 3.55 gears and a 2000-2500 stall because this will be a street motor. so my dilemma is i need a hydraulic roller cam that's streetable but will still put me a little ways over 600 hp and 560+ lbft of torque. any suggestions?

Pretend it's a 440 and cam accordingly.

You sure you need a roller? Thats $200 more than a hydraulic. With your build, just call crane or comp and have them suggest or build you one, not that expensive if its a hydro, same for roller but just a much higher core charge.

Any opinions on this comp Xtreme Energy™ XR292HR-10 cam?

It should be a nice street cam but don't think it will get you the 600+ hp you want. I would guess more around 550. Plenty of power to get an A body into the 11s. And it would really like more converter than the 2000-2500 you mentioned. Why put a stock type converter behind a modified engine that has a higher powerband than stock? 2500 is pretty much what a stock 383 RR converter would stall to. The stock converter in my 16 second 318 duster will flash to 2000. A good 9.5 or 10 inch converter that flashes to 3500ish with your planned engine would give you a good kick in the *** and be plenty streetable.

I used the solid XR292R back in 2006 in a pump gas 9.7:1 compression 451 using 452 iron heads and it made 588 lb-ft @ 4600 rpm and 621 horsepower @ 6100 rpm. So I suppose the hydraulic roller could do it.

You sure you need a roller? Thats $200 more than a hydraulic. With your build, just call crane or comp and have them suggest or build you one, not that expensive if its a hydro, same for roller but just a much higher core charge.

I was lucky enough to pick up a set of new comp roller lifters last year for $125 so I would really like to use them. Comp cams seems to be the most main stream cam company in the market and the Cam Quest app makes selecting a cam fairly easy.
But I wonder if I should look at Lunati or Howards. I would really like to hear from you guys that have run a roller on the street for a while. While this project is not quite a daily driver I am looking for something that will be streetable while producing maximum power.

That is real close to the cam I run in my 440 (*xr280hr-10) and is very streetable and is easy to drive with no issues.

That is real close to the cam I run in my 440 (*xr280hr-10) and is very streetable and is easy to drive with no issues.

I had that cam in a hot 406 sbc p/u, (big h.p.). believe it or not, w/ an 850 v. sec. holley it got 16.1 on the hiway-w/ 30" tall tires and a 3500-3800 convertor, IF YOU KEPT YOUR FOOT OUT OF IT! had the truck down to 3500 lbs. tho. have put the same came in my currant 505" wedge that I`m probably goin to fire up this week-end, probably be a pussey cat it it tho ---bob

You don't have to worry about "streetable" with a hydraulic roller. They're all streetable because the spring pressures have to be lower. Just my opinion but I'd pass on anything hydraulic. Since you have them and want to run them - I have my doubts as to whether the 292HR will make those numbers. I would take the flow test numbers and rest of your info and call Bullet for a custom grind. I'd like to see another 15-20° duration @ .050 and more lift.

If you want a roller, go solid roller. Either choose a less aggressive lobe, or call Bullet and talk to, Tim. Tell him exactly what you're looking for and he can hook you up with a great solid roller for the street. Try not to get all bunched up over the internet hype about not being able to safely run a solid roller in a street application.

It should be a nice street cam but don't think it will get you the 600+ hp you want. I would guess more around 550. Plenty of power to get an A body into the 11s. And it would really like more converter than the 2000-2500 you mentioned. Why put a stock type converter behind a modified engine that has a higher powerband than stock? 2500 is pretty much what a stock 383 RR converter would stall to. The stock converter in my 16 second 318 duster will flash to 2000. A good 9.5 or 10 inch converter that flashes to 3500ish with your planned engine would give you a good kick in the *** and be plenty streetable.

3000-3500 stall does sound better, I'm thinking I'll take some of y'alls advice and call up bullet, howards, or crane to get some recommendations. Thanks!

If this is going to be a street build, stay away from a solid roller, Roller cams have more area under the curve so they make more power with less Dur. numbers then FT cams. But they do need "more" spring pressure then FTs , The XR292HR has a VG rep. for making nice streetable power.

Alright so i decided on a cam! i ended up going with a lunati voodoo hr 294/302. seemed to be about the best off the shelf cam i could run on regular old 93 octane with no issues using a not too radical stall. Thanks y'all for the input!

-
Back