Building a rear end and need some help

-

JamesRR

Reaction score
I am currently piecing together a new rear end for my 66 Barracuda. I am putting in an 8 3/4 set up with a 741 case. Stock style small bolt axles with original style bearings. The questions I have are... :
1) Are there any washers or lock washers used for the nuts that connect the case to the axle housing? 2)What torque should the case be connected with? 3)Are there any washers for the nuts that connect the backing plates to the axles? 4)Torque for backing plates? Also what is the deal with the adjuster on the right axle? 5)How much play should there be? Thank you!
James

Hi James,
1) no washers on the third member to housing
2) you can use lock washers on the axle backing plates but I don't
3) Assumeing you have the thrust button in the differential? adjust the right side adjuster in till there is no play on either axle. And you need a adjuster lock tab.
4) There may be a torque setting on all the nuts but I tighten then by feel but pretty darn hard.
I'm sure others will have a different opinion, but this is how I've done it for 40 plus years.

Hi James,
2) you can use lock washers on the axle backing plates but I don't
3) Assumeing you have the thrust button in the differential? adjust the right side adjuster in till there is no play on either axle. And you need a adjuster lock tab.
4) There may be a torque setting on all the nuts but I tighten then by feel but pretty darn hard.
I'm sure others will have a different opinion, but this is how I've done it for 40 plus years.
Agree with all this!

hi james,
2) you can use lock washers on the axle backing plates but i don't
3) assumeing you have the thrust button in the differential? Adjust the right side adjuster in till there is no play on either axle. And you need a adjuster lock tab.
4) there may be a torque setting on all the nuts but i tighten then by feel but pretty darn hard.
I'm sure others will have a different opinion, but this is how i've done it for 40 plus years.
x3

Thanks guy! What is this locking clip all about? Anyone have a picture? Also forgot to ask... I packed the bearings with a decent amount of grease. How much should be used? Sorry for being such a noob. Trying to learn and be hands on. Thanks!
James

Are you talking about the axle locking tab? I can send you one when I get done playing with my grandson. I should be home around the 19th.

-
Back