Bypass ampmeter through bulkhead

-
Thanks for the reply.
As it is. The ampmeter is in good shape after 50 years or so.
The posts are still solid and clean.
So I would assume that the melting of the bulkhead connector may not have been caused by the ampmeter. But from another source.
Possibly from the connections, in particular the charge wire from the alternator, inside the multiple connector in the wiring harness on the passenger side in the engine bay. There was noticed a scorched connection there.

Attachments

• Image to PDF 20240315 11.57.21.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 13
I did this on my wagon years ago:

New 10 gauge wire with fuseable link from alternator to starter relay + post.

Took black wire off alternator, shortened it, connected it to + on starter relay. Removed it from the ammeter and dead ended it.
Black wire has splice in harness that feeds dash, lights, etc.

Removed original red wire from ammeter to starter relay completely.

We"re both happy.
Finishing up today.
I appreciate everyone's input on these repairs and upgrades

Attachments

• Image to PDF 20240308 06.25.47.pdf
    100.3 KB · Views: 19
Dana67dart,
I've decided to go with your example, as I've said earlier. The ammeter hasn't caused any issues for over 50 years. Just last year when I noticed the melted bulkhead connectors. Witch it could may not have been caused by the ammeter.
Demonx2. HiI am confused about what you referred to as a "fusible link on the alternator end". Are you placing the fusible link attached to the alternator? Or in line?
@bills73duster. In response to your question, yes, I ran a charge wire (I believe it is a 6ga wire with a 10ga fusible link) with a fusible link straight from the alternator to the starter relay. The fusible link is attached right at the alternator and the wire is taped inside the harness. Here's a pic where you can see the light blue fusible link.

Again, all the rest of the wiring was left intact. But we know any charging current going to the battery will take this new easy path instead of the tortuous path through the bulkhead connectors and ammeter.

Hope this helps!

20240316_160823.jpg

@bills73duster. In response to your question, yes, I ran a charge wire (I believe it is a 6ga wire with a 10ga fusible link) with a fusible link straight from the alternator to the starter relay. The fusible link is attached right at the alternator and the wire is taped inside the harness. Here's a pic where you can see the light blue fusible link.

Again, all the rest of the wiring was left intact. But we know any charging current going to the battery will take this new easy path instead of the tortuous path through the bulkhead connectors and ammeter.

Hope this helps!

View attachment 1716222609

Hope this helps!

View attachment 1716222609
Demonx2.
Thank you for your reply. Got old goldie back together again and doing great.

-
Back