c code special order slant six?

-

cjoseph

Reaction score
I picked up a 73 dart parts car. when I checked the vin (guy said it was a 72 but I knew it wasnt) it has a c for the engine which comes up as a special order slant 6. I wore out google and this forum trying to find what special order engine options were. I couldn't come up with anything. anyone have any ideas where to look? thanks

this is what I was looking at

Screenshot_20171115-103105.png

I believe the others are saying that's NOT it, as the 198 was gone by then
sounds like only the 225 was available. I'd just like to know what I have. won't be utilizing the engine but curiosity has the best of me now

My car is a 72 but a while back when I decoded my vin c meant 225 not sure if website changed info

Screenshot_2017-11-15-17-03-56.png

My car is a 72 but a while back when I decoded my vin c meant 225 not sure if website changed info
Just looked it up again different years "C" meant different things in 70 and later it meant 225 before that in 69 and back "C" meant special order 6 cylinder

Thanks slantsixdan, I only know because I used to own one. The 198 was available thru 74', and was about the slowest slug on the planet at 101 Horsepower.The other place special order 225 was available that year was police cars and Taxis.

"Special Order 6-cylinder engine" is seldom seen. Most often it meant any of several heavy-duty engine configurations, which is why it's seldom seen—vehicles equipped that way got used up and scrapped. Could also mean a 2bbl setup starting in '67 (export only 'til '77, though by the time it was introduced for the US and Canada it had its own VIN code), maybe a 170 after 1969 outside the US (purely guessing on that one), maybe esoteric stuff like a propane fuel system, etc.

The trams at World's Of Fun in Kansas City were powered by propane fueled slant sixes with 727's.
I wonder if they had vin's.

I used to drive a tug, 225 slant six and 727 auto. top speed 15 MPH!
Rocket ship from 0-15. Pulling airplanes! in 1973

"Special Order 6-cylinder engine" is seldom seen. Most often it meant any of several heavy-duty engine configurations, which is why it's seldom seen—vehicles equipped that way got used up and scrapped. Could also mean a 2bbl setup starting in '67 (export only 'til '77, though by the time it was introduced for the US and Canada it had its own VIN code), maybe a 170 after 1969 outside the US (purely guessing on that one), maybe esoteric stuff like a propane fuel system, etc.
slantsixdan, do you know how one would identify these engines? the casting numbers are nothing like my 70 slant numbers.

There wouldn't be a difference in casting numbers between a regular and special-configuration engine. This is the first time we're talking about casting numbers in this thread; what casting numbers are you seeing (and where) on your '73 and on your '70 engines?

The 198 was available in the '70 through '74 model years.
The 170 was export-only after 1969.
C-code on a '73 is a plain ol' 225.

Yes, 198 was available but not as the letter C as he said....it was letter B....letter C was 225 in 70-74

Thanks slantsixdan, I only know because I used to own one. The 198 was available thru 74', and was about the slowest slug on the planet at 101 Horsepower.The other place special order 225 was available that year was police cars and Taxis.
that was a letter B.....There is no special slant six designated letter C from 70-74......It was only the 225

slantsixdan I haven't had time to look at the engines agsin but I will this weekend. my understanding is that the casting number is on the drivers side of the engine. are there numbers somewhere else I should look for?

slantsixdan I haven't had time to look at the engines agsin but I will this weekend. my understanding is that the casting number is on the drivers side of the engine. are there numbers somewhere else I should look for?
Still what would the Special slant 6 be? in 76 they say it had a cast crank! so it would weigh less along w/alum. intake. dart lite feather duster.

that was a letter B.....There is no special slant six designated letter C from 70-74......It was only the 225
to refer back to the main post, The 198 coded B as standard, The C was simply for 225 option, and special order six code was an E. which is the code on a slant six taxicab or Police.They also had a 727 transmission. Try to find one of them laying around.

to refer back to the main post, The 198 coded B as standard, The C was simply for 225 option, and special order six code was an E. which is the code on a slant six taxicab or Police.They also had a 727 transmission. Try to find one of them laying around.[/QUOTE

-
Back