Calvert Springs; not happy

-

Howard1784

Reaction score
Out with the SS Springs and in with Calvert split +1 mono leafs, traction bars, mancini racing front hanger bracket: NOT THRILLED AT ALL. Car is still jacked up as if I changed nothing. See pic of spacing on a 225 60 15 tire. Effin ridiculous. I'm debating on putting the original worn out springs back and stock hangers. I think I read a long time ago that someone had to buy a -1 spring to get the appropriate height. GARBAGE. Rant over

20230730_185736.jpg

Did you tighten the spring plates with the weight of the wheels off the ground? If so, that could be your problem. You need to torque the nuts with the weight of the wheels on the ground, also they only torque to 45LBFT. Any tighter and the rear suspension can bind.

I have a nice set of 318 Springs that'll have your sitting like this...5 leaf

20230730_194653.jpg

20230730_194659.jpg

20230730_194703.jpg

20230730_194717.jpg

Out with the SS Springs and in with Calvert split +1 mono leafs, traction bars, mancini racing front hanger bracket: NOT THRILLED AT ALL. Car is still jacked up as if I changed nothing. See pic of spacing on a 225 60 15 tire. Effin ridiculous. I'm debating on putting the original worn out springs back and stock hangers. I think I read a long time ago that someone had to buy a -1 spring to get the appropriate height. GARBAGE. Rant over

View attachment 1716121379

Why did you get a +1" set up?

Also, do your Mancini spring hangers have 2 bolt hole locations for the spring eye bolt? Which one are you using? Because if you're using the lower hole, you've probably raised the rear of the car.

The springs should settle some if this is the height when you just installed them. The other thing is, a 225/60/15 is a pretty short tire compared to a lot of the drag race based cars that are running a Calvert set up. Most run larger, and much taller, rear tires. Which will change what that gap looks like.

Last edited:
The taller the tire the higher the car will get. Kim

Overall height, yes.

But he’s complaining about the gap, and a taller rear tire will also reduce the gap between the top of the tire and the body.

Those 225/60/15’s are only 25.6” tall. A 275/60/15 is 28” tall. It would raise the over height of the back end of the car, but also reduce that gap by like 1.2”.

He says the car looks “all jacked up”, but then highlights the gap. The gap is a bit of a visual trick, if the tires are tucked in the car will look lower, even if the overall height isn’t actually lower.

Put the 225/60's on the front, get a taller rear tire and standard height rear spring segments. Once they settle, it'll look great.

Did you tighten the spring plates with the weight of the wheels off the ground? If so, that could be your problem. You need to torque the nuts with the weight of the wheels on the ground, also they only torque to 45LBFT. Any tighter and the rear suspension can bind.
I did tighten while on the ground

Why did you get a +1" set up?

Also, do your Mancini spring hangers have 2 bolt hole locations for the spring eye bolt? Which one are you using? Because if you're using the lower hole, you've probably raised the rear of the car.

The springs should settle some if this is the height when you just installed them. The other thing is, a 225/60/15 is a pretty short tire compared to a lot of the drag race based cars that are running a Calvert set up. Most run larger, and much taller, rear tires. Which will change what that gap looks like.
I did use the upper hole. I tried both holes just out of curiosity, zero difference.
I agree with the tire size. 275 15 Hoosiers do fill the hole somewhat. Somehow, I have more clearance than the SS springs! This turd still looks like a jacked up 70s rear end and I am not liking it. I am going to sleep on it, but I am leaning towards plain old regular stock springs from Eaton

I did use the upper hole. I tried both holes just out of curiosity, zero difference.
I agree with the tire size. 275 15 Hoosiers do fill the hole somewhat. Somehow, I have more clearance than the SS springs! This turd still looks like a jacked up 70s rear end and I am not liking it. I am going to sleep on it, but I am leaning towards plain old regular stock springs from Eaton

What is your plan for the car? How are you going to be using it?

Was hoping to get to the track this year for some fun but only taken the car out 2 times for local shows, its going to stay parked most likely as it's to loud to drive long distances, deafening and headache after trips. 3k at 55mph is not my style and car sounds like it's going to explode. Was considering gear vendors but they are several months out on builds. This year was a bust

Was hoping to get to the track this year for some fun but only taken the car out 2 times for local shows, its going to stay parked most likely as it's to loud to drive long distances, deafening and headache after trips. 3k at 55mph is not my style and car sounds like it's going to explode. Was considering gear vendors but they are several months out on builds. This year was a bust
3,000 ain't nothing put a good exhaust on it with tail pipes.

A taller rear tire would help lower that rpm too

1 inch lowering blocks will have ya shitting in high cotton. I’m running Firm Feel SS springs, with 1 inch lower blocks on 225/50/16 which are 25” tall. I’ve not gotten new rims which are on my todo list…

986C303F-0B58-4FC0-B81F-756C66788DB6.png

1 inch lowering blocks will have ya shitting in high cotton. I’m running Firm Feel SS springs, with 1 inch lower blocks on 225/50/16 which are 25” tall. I’ve not gotten new rims which are on my todo list…

View attachment 1716121477

my calvert springs have settled a bunch , even added a half leaf to the right side to keep it level , so far I`m not impressed with the set up at all , that being said , the one time I took it to the strip , it did go very straight , "I think." Didnt have enough bite anyway...

Update:

All installed. Clearly, as stated above, the 255 tire allows 4.5 inches clearance. 275 drag radials over 3.5 inches. I'm thinking 2.5 inch lowering block, however, the opinions are diverse. Some say absolutely not, others are running them with the monos with zero problems.

Can you still use shims to adjust pinion angle if using lowering blocks?

20230731_172954.jpg

20230731_172509.jpg

Are the springs new? If so, Calvert may just swap you rear segments. You may want to try giving them a call. They're a pretty stand up company.

Update:

Calvert sent -1 spring segments as stated above. After install, they do sit lower and will live with the stance for now. The smaller street tires are like new but would like to upgrade to 275 sometime or may leave alone. Pics with smaller street tire and hosiery clearance.

20230809_180206.jpg

20230809_180121.jpg

People don't believe me when I tell them u bolt torque. The leaves need to be able to slide. Overtightening kills the arch and the "spring" in the spring.

-
Back