Cam choice for low comp 360?

-
I like the XE268. This is a very popular camshaft, wìth many happy customers.
I run one in my 360 which is very similar to yours, with the same intentions.
I think you would be very happy with it.

As far as springs,rockers,etc.
You can buy the cam in a kit,with the recommended springs. Valve train ?
Absolutely nothing wrong with the factory hydraulic rockers. Bolt them on and go.

As far as springs,rockers,etc.
You can buy the cam in a kit,with the recommended springs. Valve train ?
Absolutely nothing wrong with the factory hydraulic rockers. Bolt them on and go.
Thanks for the input. How about pushrods, stock worked for you?

Stock pushrods will work with many of these cams.
You'll find there are many cam grinds that will fill your bill. Competition, Lunati, MP, Crane, and more that will offer "off the shelf performance" to make you smile. IF you want the EXACT cam to match your EXACT application, you can always call a cam grinder and get one custom ground.

If you decide on the mp cam. Shop around for the lowest price. Mp cams just took a huge jump in prices. Some cam and lifters are now 400.00 plus dollars. Some retailers still have some at the old prices. Thanks mopar.
No, that's not MoPar but the lack of MoPar. There not making anything anymore for the LA's. I haven't kept the ear to the ground on 2nd gen HEMI or B/RB stuff.

Fiat doesn't give a rats butt about MoPar performance.

thats a very good camshaft. good lift and works with smaller stalls like 2000 or so

Isky 280 mega on a 106, I think it's the oval track grind.
280/280
232/232
.485/.485

Will work with stock rockers and mild springs, comp 901's or TF 16901 (same Springs). Something like that or similar would be where I would go.

In at 100, it will have a bunch of low end grunt even with the low static compression.

Stock pushrods will work with many of these cams.
You'll find there are many cam grinds that will fill your bill. Competition, Lunati, MP, Crane, and more that will offer "off the shelf performance" to make you smile. IF you want the EXACT cam to match your EXACT application, you can always call a cam grinder and get one custom ground.
Thanks. I'm also planning on following your port videos for my heads. I have found both the XE262H and the XE268H with lifters, springs and gears on Ebay with reasonable shipping over here to Sweden. There aren't really any cam grinders around here so that's a no go. Comp Cams seem to have the best price on their of the shelf kits if I am not mistaken. There is very little difference in performance CamQuest between the two Cams. More torque with the smaller one and more HP with the slightly bigger. I will probably go with the XE268H and my 3.73 gears, porting and mill the heads .030".

Thanks. I'm also planning on following your port videos for my heads. I have found both the XE262H and the XE268H with lifters, springs and gears on Ebay with reasonable shipping over here to Sweden. There aren't really any cam grinders around here so that's a no go. Comp Cams seem to have the best price on their of the shelf kits if I am not mistaken. There is very little difference in performance CamQuest between the two Cams. More torque with the smaller one and more HP with the slightly bigger. I will probably go with the XE268H and my 3.73 gears, porting and mill the heads .030".
the XE268 is a popular choice.

I still say just run your Comps 270s magnum that in your 273 it's free. And plus that way if you still want to go another cam now it gives you a baseline. To see If you want more top or bottom then it's less of a guessing game.

I still say just run your Comps 270s magnum that in your 273 it's free. And plus that way if you still want to go another cam now it gives you a baseline. To see If you want more top or bottom then it's less of a guessing game.
I hear you. The thing is, I've been thinking, and I feel better not taking that 273 apart. That engine is gonna make someone else really happy when I sell it. It's also gonna be a lot more desirable if it's complete and not stripped for parts. I think it's probably one of the hottest running 273's around here, no bragging intended!

Wouldn't milling the heads to get about 9 to1 comp. and an RPM air gap manifold help too?
I'm having them milled 0.030" and installing them with Mr. Gasket Head Gaskets 1121G. I'd like to try out this LD340 before getting a new intake.

Wouldn't milling the heads to get about 9 to1 comp. and an RPM air gap manifold help too?
rpm intake is greate i run it with a 750 intake and a crane cam 480/494 now a cam that you would really dig is the comp xe 274h 488 in 491 exh. run amazing! it fit your needs as well your prob like its street abulity and off the line pull..

trebor...google those cams and you will get the dyno tests on both the comp XE262 and XE268.
They are dynode on the same motors..9.25:1 356 chev sm block,Dart heads (nice pieces)holley 750 and headers by comp cams.I think the 262 outperformed the 268 slightly in both torque and hp in this engine but they are close peaking at 348hp around 5200 rpm.
i have used the xe268 in a 9.5:1 340 and despite what comp says you will need a high stall converter at least with 3.23's

trebor...google those cams and you will get the dyno tests on both the comp XE262 and XE268.
They are dynode on the same motors..9.25:1 356 chev sm block,Dart heads (nice pieces)holley 750 and headers by comp cams.I think the 262 outperformed the 268 slightly in both torque and hp in this engine but they are close peaking at 348hp around 5200 rpm.
i have used the xe268 in a 9.5:1 340 and despite what comp says you will need a high stall converter at least with 3.23's
Interesting. I have run them both in Comp Cams computer dyno and they are very close indeed. Gearing and stall is no problem, I have a 10" Turbo Action TQ with 3000 advertised stall. I have 3.55 on now and 3.73 going in asap.

Spot on choice,with the converter "and gears... You are a musician,apply those qualities to the build, you will be just amazed... A smog era, 360 short block ,is nothing to make fun of....Sounds silly,apply the same skills & attention as you do your rock band.. Just apply,the principles... The learning, is the fun part...

Spot on choice,with the converter "and gears... You are a musician,apply those qualities to the build, you will be just amazed... A smog era, 360 short block ,is nothing to make fun of....Sounds silly,apply the same skills & attention as you do your rock band.. Just apply,the principles... The learning, is the fun part...
I totaly understand that point of view. When I record albums it's all about the little details that people don't really even realize, but take them away and they would :)

3.73s are good to about 50mph at 6100rpm, with 5% slip. So do your engine a favor and spring the valves for some extra Revs, cuz you never know when you are gonna need a a couple of hundred more.But if you are not opening the engine up, you can't do the required oiling-mods for hi-rpm operation, so cam it on the conservative side, to keep the revs down. You can have a lot of fun with a fast-rate262 and a 3000, and 3.73s; a lot! Keep plenty of oil in the pan! Get a rev limiter.

Here's a combo that works with a low compression 318 or 360. I'll assume your pistons are around .050 below deck.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-1798/overview/make/dodge
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rhl-2018xl/overview/make/dodge
Summit hyd .480/.480 cam
Rhoads lifters
use your 273 rockers
use your 3.55 gear and converter
with your heads milled and thin gaskets mock it up and measure P to V clearance, also measure for correct pushrod lenght.
Motor will have the same noise as a solid lifter cam. Lower duration below 3k rpm will keep the bottom end power and 228@050 will provide upper rpm power. You basically have VVT.
My brother's 66 dart has this 360package with home ported 1.88/1.60 smog heads/drive train combo and the car is very streetable with the A/C on. Mash the pedal and you better be paying attention. The car is a rocket.

I choose the XE268H with matching springs. Will be running 3.73 gears and 3000 stall. Placed the order yesterday. Thanks for all the input and help, much appreciated!

-
Back