Cam for torque question

-
SER3438ALN10.jpg

Latest cam recommendation from Hughes. I'm changing direction. This one is a hydraulic roller...I wish it listed the advertised duration.

This is a long snout cam. It works fine in the 93-03 Magnum engine but you will need to use our HUG7011 Cam bolt & washer and the HUG7542 cam key (see below in Related Parts).

Hydraulic roller small block camshaft.

Basic guidelines (These are not absolutes, just guidelines to help you get close on a cam choice)
Use: Serious Street or mostly Strip, works well with aftermarket heads and high flow throttle body/carb, upgraded injectors a/r
Idle: Noticeable
Vacuum: low to mid
Converter: 3200+ stall
Rear gear: 3.55 +
Benefits:510+HP potentiel at flywheel
Requires a computer upgrade (like a tuner)

Last edited:
Here it is....the 408's finally done
upload_2017-5-31_19-45-51.jpeg

Mahle forged pistons sit in the hole .010 (hope I didn't screw up the quench), .027 mls gasket, 59cc closed chambers, 10:1 comp, Indy IMM heads, scat forged bottom end with Ibeams, and the above Hughes roller cam, rockers and retro roller lifters. Keeping my fingers crossed on the roller lifters....lots a horror stories out there. Don't really like the angle the push rods enter the lifter at either...pretty steep...seems like an opportunity for a bunch of side load. .060 shims on the rocker shaft to get a centered wipe...more than a 16th less than an 8th...3/32...nice. Should be close to 500 hp...we'll see what it does on the chassis dyno soon.

Last edited:
I have the those roller lifters, have been in my car, going on 3 years now. Have turned them over 6500 before with no issue. but normally shift at 5800 rpm. running a little bit more lift and duration then you.
No complaints!!!!!

Oh that's gonna be nice!
What rocker ratio?

That's goning tobe a nioce ride with the 3.55's. I need the same gear set for the wifes ride.

Here it is....the 408's finally done
View attachment 1715053059
Mahle forged pistons sit in the hole .010 (hope I didn't screw up the quench), .027 mls gasket, 59cc closed chambers, 10:1 comp, Indy IMM heads, scat forged bottom end with Ibeams, and the above Hughes roller cam, rockers and retro roller lifters. Keeping my fingers crossed on the roller lifters....lots a horror stories out there. Don't really like the angle the push rods enter the lifter at either...pretty steep...seems like an opportunity for a bunch of side load. .060 shims on the rocker shaft to get a centered wipe...more than a 16th less than an 8th...3/32...nice. Should be close to 500 hp...we'll see what it does on the chassis dyno soon.

Is that the engine you found on CL?

Is that the engine you found on CL?
Yes, the only thing I used was the block, timing cover and oil filter mount. It's internally balanced so I'm gonna use the 318 stall(2200) and the 318 flex plate.
Edit: I can pickup an A999 lockup and another 904 for cheap... the existing 904 is still in the car. will the internal 999 parts work in the 904? I thought I read somewhere that parts interchange like the 5 clutch pack and the 4 gear planetaries and a lower first gear??? Or do I have only part of the story???

Last edited:
Yes, the only thing I used was the block, timing cover and oil filter mount. It's internally balanced so I'm gonna use the 318 stall(2200) and the 318 flex plate.
Edit: I can pickup an A999 lockup and another 904 for cheap... the existing 904 is still in the car. will the internal 999 parts work in the 904? I thought I read somewhere that parts interchange like the 5 clutch pack and the 4 gear planetaries and a lower first gear??? Or do I have only part of the story???

Not sure on the tranny stuff but I'm glad the CL purchase worked out for you.

I run that exact cam in my 340, and it is an AWESOME cam with a nice (but lopey) idle and plenty of vacuum for power brakes. The valve train noise is NOT a problem with the cam.

-
Back