Cam help

-

bdusted440

Reaction score
Ok I have a 74 duster 3.55 gear a998 trans and a 97 ram van 360 im putting in to replace the shot 318.ive put the thiner head gaskets on it and have the eddy intake.Im going to run the LA front end and keep it looking fairly stock.This is my daily driver so I want to keep the lockup converter.at least until I find an overdrive unit for it.So what cam can I run without changing to a higher stall converter.It has a hydrolic roller in it now and that's what I want to replace it so what 1988 thru 1991 LA cam blank? So I have the eccentric for the fuel pump.

If you want to keep the stock converter, you'd probably do well to keep the advertised duration down to about 270-274, and with stock magnum heads you'll need to keep the lift no higher than about 510" or so...any more than that and you'll start touching the retainers to the guides.

With your roller blank, you could call up either Bullet cams or Oregon and have then regrind the stock cam for a little bump in both duration and lift...they can also tighten up the LSA a couple degrees if you want. And yes, you called it correctly if you want to retain a pump eccentric, the 88-91 LA core would be your better alternative compared to the Hughes snout extender...

Ok I have a 74 duster 3.55 gear a998 trans and a 97 ram van 360 im putting in to replace the shot 318.ive put the thiner head gaskets on it and have the eddy intake.Im going to run the LA front end and keep it looking fairly stock.This is my daily driver so I want to keep the lockup converter.at least until I find an overdrive unit for it.So what cam can I run without changing to a higher stall converter.It has a hydrolic roller in it now and that's what I want to replace it so what 1988 thru 1991 LA cam blank? So I have the eccentric for the fuel pump.

I sent mine off to Bullet Cams, They couldn't do much, but ended up with 477/477 lift, 218/218 dur. @50 & he put it on a 112 from a 114 LSA. It was good for 5K shifts & that was it, In my 71 Swinger i ran 12.5s @ 105 consistantly, the lower end was stock, just an Air-Gap intake, 650dp & headers, 4.10 gears & 2800 stall, pulled 1.79-1.80 60fts. Put a plate system on it & ran 7.3s @ 96 & that wasn't a clean run LOL.

I sent mine off to Bullet Cams, They couldn't do much, but ended up with 477/477 lift, 218/218 dur. @50 & he put it on a 112 from a 114 LSA. It was good for 5K shifts & that was it, In my 71 Swinger i ran 12.5s @ 105 consistantly, the lower end was stock, just an Air-Gap intake, 650dp & headers, 4.10 gears & 2800 stall, pulled 1.79-1.80 60fts. Put a plate system on it & ran 7.3s @ 96 & that wasn't a clean run LOL.

Hitting 12.50s is pretty damn good with a reground stock cam, IMO, sounds good Joe!

I might know someone who has some new "mild" cams ground on LA cores. I got one but haven't finished my build yet but it sure looks good. Let me know and maybe he's still got em.

-
Back